Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Here's a good one: boost weirdness in the Evo

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Here's a good one: boost weirdness in the Evo

Quote Originally Posted by l3it3r
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    "her money, her choice "

..well , you guys are married - so it's "your" (yours and hers together) money!
    I've been trying to tell them this for a while now.. I've been married for 5 years and would never imagine telling my wife that I was going to use MY money for something, and that she would have to use HER money for something. Unless I made it outside of my normal working hours, mine is hers, and hers is mine.. that's how it has always worked for us.
    Yup!

I've gone even further; I let my wife handle all our money stuff. She pays the bills every month - and she takes care of my quarterly payments as well as deals with our acct. at tax time. I hate that crap; it used to make me rage like the Hulk.... now I don't have to deal with it and it's probably added a few years to my life!

lol my wife and I have an odd arrangement, I guess
    we both (for the most part) handle our own money and our own bills
    she has full access to my account, and I have access to hers
    but we both try to limit ourselves to our own funds - though of course, thats flexible as needed
    we're both happy with it - I really dont see the problem
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Quote Originally Posted by damen
    ...and we should be picking it up today (just in time!)
    What do you use for winter tires?

the stock summer tires
    seriously
    we used it last winter, and with the car set to "snow" mode, you couldnt even tell there was snow on the ground - it has that much grip

of course, it could also be that I'm from the north, and so am used to driving in the snow... unlike the rest of the inhabitants of the state

Fairfax Damen, Fairfax. The rest of this state doesn't have this issue. I still like MD better :P
    I live in a van... DOWN BY THE RIVER

So we got the car back tonight, and I have the old clutch in my possession
    she didnt destroy it by lack of driving ability, let me tell you
    the guys at ISP agreed - they said the clutch didnt look like it had been one that was learned on, just that it was driven hard - it looked like it had been raced a lot....

which sounds like my wife lol

she's very happy with the new clutch and flywheel - thrilled in fact
    I'll drive it myself tomorrow hopefully

So we got the car back tonight, and I have the old clutch in my possession
    she didnt destroy it by lack of driving ability, let me tell you
    the guys at ISP agreed - they said the clutch didnt look like it had been one that was learned on, just that it was driven hard - it looked like it had been raced a lot....

which sounds like my wife lol

she's very happy with the new clutch and flywheel - thrilled in fact
    I'll drive it myself tomorrow hopefully
    Eggscellent!

I had my TA out yesterday; anticipating the ice storm we're supposed to get - and the road salt that will be sprayed everywhere.

The "built" 2004R automatic works very well - hard, tire-barking 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts under WOT. But I do miss having a clutch. It's the one thing I don't especially like about my car. I am pretty sure I will swap in a Tremec 5-speed/6-speed when the time comes to resto the shell. That willalso be the time to pull the engine and do a minor tweak - ported heads and a new (more aggressive) roller cam. I'd like to have enough juice to break into the mid-high 12s. (The car's currently good for low 13s on street tires). That's enough to stay competitive with most of the new stuff. A Z06 or worked EVO could beat it - but not by all that much. And to get much quicker, you pretty have to do two things - spend silly cash and lose driveability/reliability.

If I need to run in the 9s, I can hop on two wheels!

I know I've had my share of hard driving in that car, but I know for a FACT that I drive my SRT-4 harder than you two drive the SRT4 and I've only replaced my clutch because it was convenient timing when I was replacing the transmission when my third gear synchro failed. The clutch is still good and is sitting in my garage. I've got over 43,000 miles on it and about 20 on the one in the car now. Both are perfectly fine, and are both OEM clutches.

The Evo's clutch went out because she can't drive!! (or couldn't I should say)

I know I've had my share of hard driving in that car, but I know for a FACT that I drive my SRT-4 harder than you two drive the SRT4 and I've only replaced my clutch because it was convenient timing when I was replacing the transmission when my third gear synchro failed. The clutch is still good and is sitting in my garage. I've got over 43,000 miles on it and about 20 on the one in the car now. Both are perfectly fine, and are both OEM clutches.

I ain't a 'gonna step inter this one!

I'm just telling you what the guys at ISP told us
    and I have the old clutch here if you'd like to see it for yourself
    I've seen destroyed clutches before - this one is very even. not what you'd expect if she was just bad at it

I just drove it myself...
    wow, what a huge difference
    this clutch is definitely more grabby, which should be interesting in traffic, but even so - it's like a whole new car
    we also got a lightened flywheel, while we were at it, so it's a little more responsive too
    definitely worth the money

Oooh.. lightweight flywheel on that thing will make a HUGE difference!

He's used to me giving her a tough time! She's very timid when she drives the Evo. I offered to help her out, but then all she wanted me to do when I was in the car was go as fast as possible (never one to turn that down)

He's used to me giving her a tough time! She's very timid when she drives the Evo. I offered to help her out, but then all she wanted me to do when I was in the car was go as fast as possible (never one to turn that down)
    she's a bit less timid when you guys arent in the car, lol

My wife's like that, too! She just loves it when I run up Bent Mountain (a fantastic local road that's comparable to alpine switchbacks) at 70-something during my road tests... .

I tried to get her into motorcycles - and even taught her to ride a dirt bike, sort of - but she was never comfortable with it, always a bit unsure/unsteady - so we just let that drop.

Men, generally, have a better sense of spatial relationships - which is key to being able to drive (or ride or fly) at speed/with skill. Men also tend to have better/faster reflexes and eye-hand coordination. This is why, in general, men tend to be naturally more capable in terms of driving/riding ability. That doesn't mean they're safer, of course - or even better - as men also tend to suffer from testosterone poisoning and the recklessness/poor judgment that goes with it - but nonetheless.

The PC police would say this is "sexist" - but there are differences in native skill (and otherwise) between the sexes. It's not necessarily a question of better or worse - but it is a matter of difference.

just thought I'd mention - I ordered a Turbo Timer for the car today - should hopefully get it Monday

just thought I'd mention - I ordered a Turbo Timer for the car today - should hopefully get it Monday
    When/if I get out from under home improvement projects, I will get that big bore/cam kit from Muzzy for my Kaw.... also the Ohlins shocks/forks...

That oughta to keep me happy for some time!

hopefully in early Jan we'll take it in for an intake/exhaust/ecu flash/boost controller.. and I hope that will tide her over for a while lol