Thread: Audi

Staff

Audi

I'm at it again. I know that I said about a week ago, I would hold off on buying a car, but this Audi A6 with 50000 miles is selling for around $14k It is the 3.0L version with the CVT.

My common sense tells me to avoid it, but it does have some advantages. I have heard that they are actually pretty good on gas and would offer me a step up in performance from my L100!! I like the size as well.

Any thoughts.

And as always, thanks!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Audi

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    I'm at it again. I know that I said about a week ago, I would hold off on buying a car, but this Audi A6 with 50000 miles is selling for around $14k It is the 3.0L version with the CVT.

My common sense tells me to avoid it, but it does have some advantages. I have heard that they are actually pretty good on gas and would offer me a step up in performance from my L100!! I like the size as well.

Any thoughts.

And as always, thanks!
    I personally like Audis (and the A6) a lot. They're well-built, they are fun to drive and they are decently priced - esp. relative to a Benz or BMW. You'll find the A6 to be very roomy both up front and in the back seat area. The ride's excellent - and while a BMW may be a bit more "precise," the Audi is very enjoyable as an "all arounder."

If this car checks out, I say go for it!

How old is it? Audi are recovering from a period of poor reliability, although the current ones supposedly are much improved in that department.

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    How old is it? Audi are recovering from a period of poor reliability, although the current ones supposedly are much improved in that department.
    Yeah, I was wondering about that. A friend of mine had an 03 Passat.I wonder if they are the same car? It went through rear brakes like George Bush ran through cocaine in the 1970s.

Other than that, it was fairly reliable.

mrblanche

Yeah, I was wondering about that. A friend of mine had an 03 Passat.I wonder if they are the same car? It went through rear brakes like George Bush ran through cocaine in the 1970s.
    Just in passing, the DNC offered large rewards to anyone who could prove that allegation. They never got to pay off; all the stories turned out to be typical 3rd-hand rumors.

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Just in passing, the DNC offered large rewards to anyone who could prove that allegation. They never got to pay off; all the stories turned out to be typical 3rd-hand rumors.
    Probably so. I don't really care about his past habits. Its his current politics that are repugnant. Not everything, but most everything. Trade, foreign policy come first to my mind. He is also pandering to environmentalists, which I can't stand. The only thing the guy is right on is taxes. Cutting taxes seems to be a good idea, although I have yet to see a tax cut that has prevented a recession from occurring.

Back to the Passatt, the thing did go through brake pads and I'm having second thoughts on the A6.

When it comes to purchasing cars, I am the king of Waffle.

"Back to the Passatt, the thing did go through brake pads and I'm having second thoughts on the A6."

Ask the seller if he'd allow you to have the car inspected by an Audi dealer/technician, pre-sale, to determine its overall condition. With any high-end/Euro-import car, this is a key thing. If the car was not maintained per Audi specs (or abused) it could be in need of some expensive service...

Staff

Well, I tested the Audi A6 today. It was a very nice ride. Unfortunately, I think that the car needed an alignment and was in need of a detailing. It was funny because the owner talked about how easy the leather was to clean, but the inside was moderately dirty, showing wear. There were some small scratches and dust/dirt around the gear shifter. Shoot, my Saturn L100 with 145.000 miles looked better on the inside than this Audi with 50,000 miles. It also had that tacky looking window tint. I can't stand that garbage. It makes the car look cheap. As far as the inside goes, I m very picky. Of course, its nothing that a nice detailing wouldn't fix.

The car was very responsive and handled very well on its Korean made H-rated radials. I took it up to about 100 mph. Had I not been hung over from the last night, I would have mashed the gas a little harder, although the alignment issue is another sticking point. I don't like pushing a car I'm not entirely used to. Otherwise the car was very nice and I averaged 25 mpg during the road test which was mostly highway at speeds ranging from 70-85 mph average with two bursts to 100 mph. Not too bad. It helps when you turn off the power guzzling A/C.

The engine compartment was crowded but well laid out. All fluids were accessible along with the spark plugs.

Overall, the car seemed pretty spacious, although it wasn't as big on the inside as my L-Series. The trunk was larger, however. The car felt very tossable despite its size.

So, is it worth $10,000 financed over 4 years? I'm not sure.I like the car quite a bit. It has a lot of bells and whistles I'd never use, but I absolutely love the feel you get on teh highway. I like the overall efficiency and power of the engine. I like the silent ride as well. I'm just not so sure that its wort that much over what I already have. Stay tuned, I guess :/

TC

Well, I tested the Audi A6 today. It was a very nice ride. Unfortunately, I think that the car needed an alignment and was in need of a detailing. It was funny because the owner talked about how easy the leather was to clean, but the inside was moderately dirty, showing wear. There were some small scratches and dust/dirt around the gear shifter. Shoot, my Saturn L100 with 145.000 miles looked better on the inside than this Audi with 50,000 miles. It also had that tacky looking window tint. I can't stand that garbage. It makes the car look cheap. As far as the inside goes, I m very picky. Of course, its nothing that a nice detailing wouldn't fix.

The car was very responsive and handled very well on its Korean made H-rated radials. I took it up to about 100 mph. Had I not been hung over from the last night, I would have mashed the gas a little harder, although the alignment issue is another sticking point. I don't like pushing a car I'm not entirely used to. Otherwise the car was very nice and I averaged 25 mpg during the road test which was mostly highway at speeds ranging from 70-85 mph average with two bursts to 100 mph. Not too bad. It helps when you turn off the power guzzling A/C.

The engine compartment was crowded but well laid out. All fluids were accessible along with the spark plugs.

Overall, the car seemed pretty spacious, although it wasn't as big on the inside as my L-Series. The trunk was larger, however. The car felt very tossable despite its size.

So, is it worth $10,000 financed over 4 years? I'm not sure.I like the car quite a bit. It has a lot of bells and whistles I'd never use, but I absolutely love the feel you get on teh highway. I like the overall efficiency and power of the engine. I like the silent ride as well. I'm just not so sure that its wort that much over what I already have. Stay tuned, I guess :/

Check on the cost of some regular maintenance and repair items before you buy it. You might get a surprise.

I think that the car needed an alignment .."

If possible, have an Audi shop look at the front end; an "alignment" might involve fairly big bucks if suspension components are worn and need to be replaced....!

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I think that the car needed an alignment .."

If possible, have an Audi shop look at the front end; an "alignment" might involve fairly big bucks if suspension components are worn and need to be replaced....!
    Thats a good point. If there are suspension components worn after only 50,000 miles, thats a definite red flag. I'm going to look into it. Thanks. More to follow :-\