Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW 1 Series debuts

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

BMW 1 Series debuts

The BMW 1 Series Coupe, which draws inspiration from the iconic BMW 2002 of some 40 years ago, will make its North American debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show. By combining sporty rear-wheel-drive dynamics, agile handling, powerful engines and seating for four, the 1 Series Coupe will reinvent the niche created by the legendary BMW 2002.

On sale in the spring of 2008, the 1 Series Coupe will be available in two versions; the 128i and the 135i.
    Powered by a 3.0-liter, 230 horsepower inline 6-cyinder engine that generates 200 lb-ft of torque, the
    128i Coupe will feature Valvetronic valvetrain management and aluminum/magnesium contruction-core
    elements of BMW's EfficientDynamics.

The powerful 135i Coupe features BMW's twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder engine that
    produces 300 horsepower and an incredible 300 lb-ft of torque from as low as 1,400 rpm. With its direct
    piezo gasoline injectors, twin low-mass turbochargers and air-to-air intercooling, optimum performance
    and economy is achieved with no loss in engine response. For the 135i Coupe, acceleration from 0-62
    mph is accomplished in 5.3 seconds and top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph. Both engines
    feature on-demand engine coolant pumps that improve fuel economy and reduce parasitic losses for
    increased output.

The new 1 Series Coupe combines unique, dynamic and unmistakable design elements with a powerful
    and muscular body. The greenhouse with its characteristic "Hofmeister kink" is moved rearward and
    offers a particularly nimble look with its long hood. The short overhangs, long wheelbase and large
    frameless doors sit on a body with a striking shoulder line for a modern interpretation of BMW's
    characteristic look. On the 135i Coupe, an M Aerodynamic Kit is standard.

The 1 Series boasts an aggressive rear end styling. The trunklid has an integrated spoiler chiselled into
    the rear end of the car to accentuate the short rear section. On the 135i, an additional lip spoiler provides
    greater downforce on the rear end at high speeds.

The innovative interior design incorporates high-quality and sophisticated trim elements with luxurious
    upholstery and color choices. A 60/40 split rear seat is standard. The control console for the
    entertainment and air conditioning functions is integrated smoothly and harmoniously into the dashboard
    through its soft radii and flowing surfaces. The controller featured in the iDrive system with the optional
    Navigation system is integrated in the center console, again following BMW's characteristic philosophy.
    Galvanized pearl gloss surfaces adorn the interior door handles, the glove compartment handle, the
    radio's rotary knobs, the knobs of the automatic air conditioning system, the iDrive Controller, and the
    ornamental trim strips featured on the sports steering wheel.

The BMW 1 Series Coupe is available with a choice of two upholstery options-sporty and comfortable
    Leatherette or rich Boston Leather. Boston Leather upholstery adds further style to the high-quality
    impression of the interior. And as a practical feature, map pockets are integrated in the lower part of the
    doors. The optional Sport Package includes sports buckets seats with enhanced side support and are
    finished in highly distinctive leatherette materials or Boston leather.

BMW's iDrive is included with the optional navigation system. It enables the driver to control all
    secondary and comfort functions such as communication, air conditioning, entertainment and navigation
    functions easily and conveniently.

This latest version of iDrive is equipped with six Programmable Memory Keys that allow the driver to
    program functions that are used particularly often such as navigation destinations, radio stations or
    specific telephone numbers. Touch-sensative sensors on these buttons preview the function on the iDrive
    screen before the button is depressed. This allows the driver to choose the stored function safely and
    conveniently, keeping his or her eyes on the road in the process.

A wide choice of audio and communication are also available, never before seen in the compact
    performance market. These features include SIRIUS satellite radio, HD radio, Premium Sound system
    and Bluetooth interface. For simple and straightforward connection of an MP3 player, an Auxiliary input
    jack is standard, and a USB port for direct control of an Apple iPod or iPhone media player is available as
    an option.

In typical BMW style, the new BMW 1 Series Coupe transmits the power of the engine to the rear wheels.
    This design concept and configuration - engine at the front, drive wheels at the rear - guarantees
    optimum traction, good weight distribution front-to-rear, excellent directional stability, and predictable
    handling.

The new 1 Series Coupe has a sophisticated suspension system with an aluminium double-pivot front
    suspension and a five-link fully independent rear suspension in lightweight steel. BMW's Dynamic
    Stability Control (DSC) also includes a Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) function that provides electronic
    intervention to prevent loss of vehicle control, but at a higher threshold before activation. Active Steering,
    a variable ratio steering system exclusive to BMW, is available as an option.

The 135i Coupe offers more performance and a striking look thanks to M-inspired components. Features
    include an Aero kit for additional downforce at speed, better brake cooling and enhanced aesthetics while
    the Sports Suspension offers higher traction and reduced body roll with 18-inch wheels and performance
    tires. The Sports Suspension also includes with a high-performance brake system incorporating six-piston
    fixed calipers on the front and two-piston fixed calipers at the rear.

Re: BMW 1 Series debuts

I really, really like that 135i
    If there werent so many other cars I want at the moment, that would definitely be on my list as a potential next car
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Staff

Gee, I think that they've been talking about this car for like 7 years. It's about time.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by damen
    I really, really like that 135i
    If there werent so many other cars I want at the moment, that would definitely be on my list as a potential next car
    Me too; seems like it's going to be neat. I just hope it's not oveteched with IDrive-esque scheisse!

What is the curb weight?

Vist the below link to see pictures of the new 1 series coupe (on our main site):

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/home/...7&Itemid=10287

Nice car... glad BMW decided to produce it.

How long do you think it will be before someone drops a BMW V8 or V10 into a 1 series coupe? ;D I believe it won't be long.

Did anyone ever do a V10 Mustang?

misterdecibel,

The only V10 performance car from Ford recently was the 2005 Ford Shelby Cobra Concept car (I think they put it in there since the largest displacement V8 is only 5.4 liters, and Ford engineers wanted to show the Cobra Concept if it went into production, it could compete with the Viper. However it never made it to production.

The Ford V10 has no off-the-shelf performance parts, it's a truck engine with lots of low-end torque and decent horsepower. This is why you won't see a Ford V10 in a Mustang.

maybe I missed it... but has BMW made any pricing announcements yet?

What is the curb weight of the 1-series coupe?

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    What is the curb weight of the 1-series coupe?
    That's what I'm wondering too. Maybe someone will produce a Club Racer lightweight version of the 135i -- with that motor, it'd be pretty quick.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

mrdecibel,

Don't know what the curb weight is of the 1-series coupe, bmw has not released it in any of their press releases or currently released product documentation. However in the next few weeks that info should be released. All BMW has said is that the car is lightweight and goes 0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds.

Damen,

No pricing has been released at this time. BMW should release that info very soon.

All BMW has said is that the car is lightweight and goes 0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds.
    They could probably drop that to 5.0 even if they left off the heated leather seats, sound-deadening, and the iDrive nonsense.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

You'd think full specs would be available, considering that the car has been available in other parts of the world for a couple of years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_1_Series

Around a ton-and-a-half for the sedan. IOW grossly overweight.

Ok, trying this again:

Pricing information
    options:
    http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2391

regular pricing:
    http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2362

too much money, if you ask me

Can't argue. The pricing is very close to the 3 series.

The dreams that people might have had of a 2002 replacement (regular or Tii) are still unfulfilled.

Chip H.

I am seriously disappointed
    35k for a 135i vs 40k for a 335i?
    seriously?

*shakes his head and walks away*

If it could lose 500 lbs and $4000, they might have something.

Chip H.

Considering that a Z4 weighs 2800 lbs, it's not realistic to expect a 4-seater from the same company to weigh less than 3000.