Thread: Ford develops new color palette to lure customers

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Ford develops new color palette to lure customers

DEARBORN, Mich., ? Design and color rank as more important purchase consideration factors than ever before, so Ford Motor Company is planning its biggest paint changeover in company history and leveraging a new collaborative product development process aimed at winning customers.

By 2009, 45 percent of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury products by volume will feature new paint colors. Plus, Ford is using a new collaborative process that unites designers with marketing, manufacturing, purchasing and vehicle operations experts as well as dealers ? and leverages their collective input to strategically develop top customer paint color choices.

?Our research shows that nearly 40 percent of consumers will turn to another brand if they can?t find the vehicle color they want,? said Susan Lampinen, group chief designer, Color and Materials, Ford Motor Company. ?Using our design talent in harmony with other business operations has allowed us to create colors backed by science, ensuring we?re creating the right color palettes to support the business ? in every region of North America.?

In the integrated process, Ford experts analyze vehicle characteristics, target markets and the manufacturing process to dream up a short-list of paint colors aimed at winning customers throughout the continent. The team works together to decide what percentage of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles will carry the specialty paint ? and how they?re distributed geographically.

An early success story: Blazing Copper, the feature color for the all-new 2007 Ford Edge, hit the bull?s eye, with nearly 10 percent of customers choosing this bold color. This doubled traditional feature color take rates of 4 to 5 percent, helping drive Edge sales. In the second quarter, Edge was the No. 1-selling mid-size crossover in the industry.

Dealers are part of the new process, too. They participate in pre-production paint reviews. Plus, they receive guidance from designers when ordering vehicles to ensure the customer-desired colors are on display in dealer lots around the country. Dealers now have the tools to choose the appropriate color mix that display the most appealing colors for products in their markets.

?To move the business forward, you need to offer products that excite people. Paint colors on well-designed vehicles are the eye candy that draws them into the showrooms,? said Lampinen. ?Our collaborative process lets each part of the business provide different knowledge about the customer to develop a variety of colors that are fresh, appealing and right for customers, no matter where they call home.?

Re: Ford develops new color palette to lure customers

Every time I drive by my local BMW dealership, every car on the lot is either black, charcoal, pewter, silver, or white. With maybe just one or two red cars thrown in just to give a slight shock of color.

The other day I was driving to work on the cross-town expressway and noticed that every single car in front of me was a Chevy or GMC, all in exactly the same shade of, I dunno what to call it, somewhere between dirty silver and metallic beige/fawn. I'll go look it up:

Silver Birch Metallic

Gawd I hate that color. And it seems to be Chevy Truck's "Feature Color". It's selling like hotcakes.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Ford develops new color palette to lure customers

"Gawd I hate that color. And it seems to be Chevy Truck's "Feature Color". It's selling like hotcakes."

Not my favorite, either - but you're right, it's everywhere!