Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More reason to start paying attention to China

More reason to start paying attention to China

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1811

American military chiefs have been left dumbstruck by an undetected Chinese submarine popping up at the heart of a recent Pacific exercise

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: More reason to start paying attention to China

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1811

American military chiefs have been left dumbstruck by an undetected Chinese submarine popping up at the heart of a recent Pacific exercise
    This what all those "great deals" at Wal-Mart have been helping to finance. It's criminal.

It should be mentioned that this incident actually happened nearly a year ago

not that that excuses anything, of course. Someone really dropped the ball here - that or we're just pretending, taking china for a ride to make them think they're stuff is better than it really is.

I dunno what to think
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

mrblanche

I'd have to see the whole report, but the Chinese are heavily engaged in espionage in the U.S., all the way from business cheating up to heavy military spying.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    I'd have to see the whole report, but the Chinese are heavily engaged in espionage in the U.S., all the way from business cheating up to heavy military spying.
    What else is to be expected? We do, or should be doing, the same thing.

And we keep on shoveling money their way to pay for it. All so that we can buy "cheap" consumer goods....

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    What else is to be expected? We do, or should be doing, the same thing.
    We need to take the view that the Chinese are not our "partners" - that "free trade" with China is a prescription for the decline of the United States. We need to protect our interests against theirs.

Republicans used to understand that.

DonTom

"Its 13 Song Class submarines are extremely quiet and difficult to detect when running on electric motors."

This doesn't surprise me. When Tom and I took the train in mainland China, it was new and so quiet that it seemed like it was going very slow. When I took out my GPS to see how fast we were going, we were going around 100 MPH. But it was so smooth and quite that it felt like about 25 MPH or so. Seemed slow, but wasn't slow at all.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "Its 13 Song Class submarines are extremely quiet and difficult to detect when running on electric motors."

This doesn't surprise me. When Tom and I took the train in mainland China, it was new and so quiet that it seemed like it was going very slow. When I took out my GPS to see how fast we were going, we were going around 100 MPH. But it was so smooth and quite that it felt like about 25 MPH or so. Seemed slow, but wasn't slow at all.

-Don-
    How do you say "We will bury you" in Mandarin?

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Really? I assume you mean BEFORE Mr. Nixon...

mrblanche

-Don-[/color][/font]
    If it is running on electric power, it is the absolute peak of 1939 technology.

The party isn't the president. And the party, generally, was economic nationalist in orientation prior to the ascendance of the Bush family.

Reagan's biggest mistake was to elevate Poppy - and thereby enable the ascendance of the Decider.

-Don-[/color][/font]
    Don't you mean 1919 tech?

-Don-[/color][/font]
    What propels our nuclear subs?

One of the keys to quietness in subs is the reduction of vibrations, especially in the propulsion systems. In a way, battery power is quieter than atoms, because you don't have the steam/liquids flowing through the reactor & turbine. Assuming that the reduction gearing and electric motors are built to the same standard, of course.

I'm wondering if the Chinese got their hands on some of the technical intelligence the former Soviets had stolen from us, so far as the machining needed to create the driveline?

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

DonTom

"How do you say "We will bury you" in Mandarin? "

Tommy only speaks Cantonese, but that statement form Nikita Khrushchev in the USSR was referring to economics but it is China that is doing such today. We are buried in their stuff. Seems most of the stuff we buy these days are stamped "made in China". Especially our computer junk.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    One of the keys to quietness in subs is the reduction of vibrations, especially in the propulsion systems. In a way, battery power is quieter than atoms, because you don't have the steam/liquids flowing through the reactor & turbine. Assuming that the reduction gearing and electric motors are built to the same standard, of course.

I'm wondering if the Chinese got their hands on some of the technical intelligence the former Soviets had stolen from us, so far as the machining needed to create the driveline?

Chip H.
    I don't think the US has any monopoly on machining skills and very likely still does not make the most advanced machine tools.

That said, The Hunt for Red October may provide answers but I read it too long ago to be sure.

"How do you say "We will bury you" in Mandarin? "

Tommy only speaks Cantonese, but that statement form Nikita Khrushchev in the USSR was referring to economics but it is China that is doing such today. We are buried in their stuff. Seems most of the stuff we buy these days are stamped "made in China". Especially our computer junk.

-Don-
    More than that!

It's damn hard to avoid the stuff... though I try.

Esp. pet foods, by the way.

mrblanche

More than that!

Well, there are some components added to pet foods, as we all discovered earlier this year, that come from China. But I don't think we import any pet food, finished.

More than that!

Well, there are some components added to pet foods, as we all discovered earlier this year, that come from China. But I don't think we import any pet food, finished.
    My wife has a friend who has a cat that was poisoned (renal failure) by the tainted cat food; we have always bought the high-end stuff from names like Iams that have been reputable in the past.. but we check very closely nowadays....