Thread: 1982 Trans Am (LU5 - 5.0 liter Cross-Fire Injection) Movie

1982 Trans Am (LU5 - 5.0 liter Cross-Fire Injection) Movie

Here's a video I put together of my 1982 Trans Am (LU5 - 5.0 liter Cross-Fire Injection):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H1t4ftfJe4

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: 1982 Trans Am (LU5 - 5.0 liter Cross-Fire Injection) Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Here's a video I put together of my 1982 Trans Am (LU5 - 5.0 liter Cross-Fire Injection):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H1t4ftfJe4

I forgot how nice your '82 TA is!

Now you need to make a video of the '79 TA TA...

Eric,

Thanks. I can't believe its been in the family for 25 years, it looks and drives just like it did when it was new.

Here's the video of my '79 TATA - I posted it last month on the board - you probably did not see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtXiFteqwbM

Staff

I like the exhaust rumble

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Eric,

Thanks. I can't believe its been in the family for 25 years, it looks and drives just like it did when it was new.

Here's the video of my '79 TATA - I posted it last month on the board - you probably did not see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtXiFteqwbM

Now that's the ticket!

I wish I could make a video w/sound of my TA.. gotta catch up on all this tech stuff...!

swamprat,

Thanks. Motor Trend magazine (Jan. 1982) called the exhaust note/sound on the '82 Trans Am - "tough as nails".

Eric,

I'll make a film of your T/A in the future. Well even get some nice accelertion/moving footage.

Do I dare post my "YEE-HAW" video?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Do I dare post my "YEE-HAW" video?
    If it's what I think it might be... definitely!

Rick,

Definitely post your Yee-Haw video. I'd like to see it.

Remember -- you asked for it...

There are SOME of us who still enjoy driving their cars.

Here's another short vid of the 2-3 shift...

I have some others, but I decline to post them based upon my Fifth Amendment rights...

Good stuff!

Did you fab a custom opening for your shaker? It looks (from the video) like it has a rectangular cutout... .

Since my car never sees rain/weather, I just removed the block off plate entirely; as you know, on the '76 and earliercars, you can easily remove it by taking out three screws without permanently altering/damaging anything. On the '77-up cars with shakers, the rear area has to be physically cut out - permanently altering the scoop... which I'd be reluctant to do if I owned a '77-up 'Bird!

Rick,

Thanks for posting the vids, I liked them both. Boy that Hee-Haa was better than the Dukes of Hazzard. ;D

Thanks, guys!

Eric -- yes, that is a custom plate in the shaker. On the 70-76 shakers the block off plate was secured by 3 rivets. If you carefully drill out those rivets you can remove the blockoff plate without harming the shaker. That's what I did, and I still have the stock blockoff plate. The rectangular hole has a door that is secured by a custom piano hinge at the top. It swings freely. The idea was to develop a counter-weight that would hold the door closed when there was no demand for air by the engine, yet allow it to swing freely open when needed. Unfortunately, I never got around to completing the counter-weight part of the project. I suppose I could have just popped for the solenoid-activated setup from an HO car, but back in the day I just didn't have that kind of coin.

Yes, I'd have problems sawing up a shaker from a 77-up car too.

I'm thinking about seeing if I can get a "YEE HAW" contest going at the 2008 Trans Am Nationals in Dayton -- could be a fun diversion on Saturday afternoon...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Thanks, guys!

Eric -- yes, that is a custom plate in the shaker. On the 70-76 shakers the block off plate was secured by 3 rivets. If you carefully drill out those rivets you can remove the blockoff plate without harming the shaker. That's what I did, and I still have the stock blockoff plate. The rectangular hole has a door that is secured by a custom piano hinge at the top. It swings freely. The idea was to develop a counter-weight that would hold the door closed when there was no demand for air by the engine, yet allow it to swing freely open when needed. Unfortunately, I never got around to completing the counter-weight part of the project. I suppose I could have just popped for the solenoid-activated setup from an HO car, but back in the day I just didn't have that kind of coin.

Yes, I'd have problems sawing up a shaker from a 77-up car too.

I'm thinking about seeing if I can get a "YEE HAW" contest going at the 2008 Trans Am Nationals in Dayton -- could be a fun diversion on Saturday afternoon...
    Neat!

PS - Ames (I think it was Ames) used to offer a retrofit for the '73-76 cars that made the shaker functional a la the 70-72 TAs. Same vacuum-actuated flapper system. I always wanted to convert mine but just never got around to it... .

PS PS - One of the best upgrades (no, the best upgrade) I made to my car was to install an OD transmission. Even with 3.90 rear gars, my car cruises along at 70-80 mph at around 2,000 RPM - just like a modern car!

Rick,

You would win that Hee-Haw contest. Man you could market your Hee-Haw voice to Hollywood for Voice-overs its that good.

BTW - you live out in country? Must be nice having those flat long roads with no traffic.

Eric,

A guy from CA released the function shakerhood scoop conversions for the '73-'76 and '77-'81 shakers a few years back. I believe his kits were the ones that Ames Performance sold. He used to post on TAC a few years ago. I believe he still sells his kits direct for cheaper than what Ames was selling them for. I try to find his website.

Pete:

Well...is there anyplace that's out in the sticks anymore?

I live in a county of approximately 135,000 in a metro area of over 1 million people, but there are still county roads that are decently paved and not terribly congested. Generally they are laid out in a 1 mile grid system. Posted speed limits range between 35 and 50 MPH, but enforcement is spotty and most of the time there are 3 road deputies on duty in the entire county (excluding local municipalities). That's good news if you don't enjoy meeting the local law enforcement in the usual manner (traffic stops) but bad news if you really need one -- in most cases M1911A1 works better than 911.

But yes you can get a little nuts now and then...and overall I prefer it to spots with higher population densities.

Good point, everywhere seems to be getting crowded. With 300 + million people and growing fast due to both legal and illegal immigration. The population could easily double to 600 million in the next 30 years. It will eventually get to the point where all the major cities will be in a state of total gridlock, and even those small country towns now will one day be full of gridlock. I just came back from West Virginia and its getting very crowded in areas 5 years ago were the boonies.

basketballmail2

Great looking 82 man, can't wait to get my hands on one of them, really hard as I'm over in Switzerland, not many 82 left over here, if you ever get tired of it send me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by basketballmail2
    Great looking 82 man, can't wait to get my hands on one of them, really hard as I'm over in Switzerland, not many 82 left over here, if you ever get tired of it send me a pm
    Hi Basketball,

Welcome to the site, first of all! It's good to have a fellow Pontiac enthusiast here. Pete also has a '79 10th Anniversary TA; I have a '76 TA with a 455.

-Eric

basketballmail2,

I just sent you a PM. Thanks for the compliments on my Trans Am.