Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Mormon nonsense WRT gays

DonTom

More Mormon nonsense WRT gays

Gail might be interested in this story:

http://pewforum.org/news/rss.php?NewsID=14425

-Don-

Re: More Mormon nonsense WRT gays

The bright side of that coin is that they will leave you alone.

And the interesting thing will be Gail's reaction

DonTom

"The bright side of that coin is that they will leave you alone. "

It's been mostly the Mormons and Catholics that have fought against same sex marriage and I don't think that will change any time soon. Most religions like to force their superstitious nonsense on those who don't believe in their silly nonsense.

-Don-

mrblanche

But they justify it on the basis of protecting their children...which might be good, if they applied the same standards to their own priests and leaders.

DonTom

"But they justify it on the basis of protecting their children"

How does their nonsense protect children? Is an unmarried gay couple somehow better for children than is a married gay couple?

-Don- (SSF)

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "But they justify it on the basis of protecting their children"

How does their nonsense protect children? Is an unmarried gay couple somehow better for children than is a married gay couple?

-Don- (SSF)
    You guys know my views on religion; but that aside - why, given all the violence and horror that exists in this world is their such a fixation on what consenting (and non-violent) adults do among themselves? The religious right thumps the tub enldessly about the supposed "gay agenda" - but I think it's more reasonable to be concerend about the "agenda" of violent criminals, for instance. One may not approve of the gay couple that moved in next door - but are they any physical threat? Who would you rather have next door - the middle-aged gay couple, or a straight couple comprised of abusive alcoholic dude who regularly screams at (and beats) his family? How about a single thug? (Or a houseful of them?)

As far as I know (and Gail, etc. please correct me if I'm wrong) but gays are not highly represented among the ranks of the violent criminals who plague society. I'm pretty sure that, as a group, they are better-educated, tend to be employed (and employed in white collar-type work), earn higher incomes (and thus, pay more taxes) than the average American.

Says me, there are bigger, better things to worry about!

"The bright side of that coin is that they will leave you alone. "

It's been mostly the Mormons and Catholics that have fought against same sex marriage and I don't think that will change any time soon. Most religions like to force their superstitious nonsense on those who don't believe in their silly nonsense.

-Don-

The Mormons and Catholics are amateurs in comparison to the southern fundamentalists.

Don,

Remember what Shakesphere said: "me thinks you protest too much" - Is there a reason why you keep bringing this stuff up (trying to challenge Gail) - perhaps a guilty conscious?

I am a devout Roman Catholic, I live my life as such, I don't try banging people over the head to believe as me. I have had someone spit in my face for my views. Do I care? Nope. I have peace.

DonTom

"Is there a reason why you keep bringing this stuff up (trying to challenge Gail) - perhaps a guilty conscious?"

She brought up the subject first. Before that, I never even mentioned that I was gay in here.

Why would or should I feel guilty about the religious nonsense of others?

-Don-

mrblanche

-Don- (SSF)
    I didn't say it was a GOOD reason. I said it was the reason they use.

By the way, I suspect you would use the same reason to keep evangelistic Christians from becoming teachers, on the off-hand chance they might "poison" your children (if you had some) with their beliefs.

DonTom

"By the way, I suspect you would use the same reason to keep evangelistic Christians from becoming teachers, on the off-hand chance they might "poison" your children (if you had some) with their beliefs."

Nope, not at all. I wouldn't care if they are religious or not as long as they didn't try to force their nonsense on others. In fact, I know some Christians who I think would make great teachers in any school.

-Don-

DonTom

"I have had someone spit in my face for my views. "

Which view was that? And was the person who did such also religious?

"A religious war is like two children arguing over who has the best imaginary friend."
    -Yasser Arafat

-Don Quoteman

mrblanche

It has been said that religion has been the cause of more deaths than any other argument. But the facts don't back that up. The Spanish Inquisition, for example, kiilled less than 5,000 people over a period of 350 years.

Three atheists--Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Mao Zedon (the currently favored spelling)--were responsible for around 500,000,000 deaths in a period of less than 40 years.

Their arguments, however, might as well have been religious, since they were often based on less reason than most religions.

Hitler was, in fact, a Catholic - and Stalin a seminarian.

Just to correct the facts...

DonTom

"Three atheists--Adolf Hitler,"

"Homosexuality is the mark of Cain, of a godless and soulless culture which is sick to the core. The teaching of the youth to appreciate the value of the community, derives its strongest inner power from the truths of Christianity. For this reason, it will always be my special duty to safeguard the right and free development of the Christian school and the Christian fundamentals of all education."
    --Adolf Hitler

"Secular schools can never be tolerated because such a school has no religious instruction and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air; consequently, all character training and religion must be derived from faith . . . We need believing people."
    - Adolf Hitler

"My feeling as a Christian points me to my Lord and Saviour as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by only a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they are and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love, as a Christian and as a man, I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord rose at last in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was the fight for the world against the Jewish poison."
    - Adolf Hitler (in Mein Kampf)

For more on the Christian beliefs of Hitler, see:

http://www.nobeliefs.com/Hitler1.htm

-Don Quoteman

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

And they both were, at the time of their predations, self-avowedly atheist.

Just to make sure that we don't cloud "facts" with "history."

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric

And they both were, at the time of their predations, self-avowedly atheist.

Just to make sure that we don't cloud "facts" with "history."
    I don't recall Hitler professing atheism; can you cite?

Of course, Stalin was far worse than Hitler - and he pretty clearly was an "avowed" atheist

Eric,

Hitler was big into the occult, there are many History channel programs and books that go into great detail about the specifics. Do a google search on "Hitler" and the "occult" and the list is almost endless. The occult is an enemy of Christianity.

Don,

Hitler was a chameleon who was not a Christian and he said anything to get his people to support his wars and mass murder. Hitler killed some Catholic priests along with many Jews, homosexuals, and many others in his concentration camps. In fact the funny irony was that there are some sources that Hitler himself was gay or bisexual. Here's a few souces on the topic:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/inter...564899,00.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...18/ai_83553874

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/bibli...780465043088-0

In closing, if the German people had adhered to Christian priciples they would have never supported Hitler and his evil fascism, wars, mass murder, eugenics, etc. Saying Hitler is a Christian is like saying the devil is a Christian - its just plain wrong.

>> is like saying the devil is a Christian - its just plain wrong. <<

Yes, but that's no more than a matter of timing. Had Lucifer managed to avoid being cast out until a couple of thousand years ago, he would have been a Christian.