Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate my job

I hate my job

this is completely off-topic, but I'm having a particularly special day here at work so I wanted to share:
    I HATE my job

Pete, I'm sure you can understand why I say that.

I'm a Sr SysAdmin, supporting ~1200 users. I personally manage more servers than I can keep track of, and despite being on a team of 6 I get 75% of the workload for the entire team.

I'm hugely underpaid (at least, compared to my co-workers), and generally abused and taken advantage of.

Plus this place is generally just a hellhole.

Ok, rant over
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Re: I hate my job

Have you ever considered "going postal"?

lol no
    unless you count giving everyone the finger on the way out "going postal" *grins*

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by damen
    this is completely off-topic, but I'm having a particularly special day here at work so I wanted to share:
    I HATE my job

Pete, I'm sure you can understand why I say that.

I'm a Sr SysAdmin, supporting ~1200 users. I personally manage more servers than I can keep track of, and despite being on a team of 6 I get 75% of the workload for the entire team.

I'm hugely underpaid (at least, compared to my co-workers), and generally abused and taken advantage of.

Plus this place is generally just a hellhole.

Ok, rant over
    Ranting is good - and ahhhh feeel your pain!

D_E_Davis

Move! There's got to be a place where the pay meets expectations. I would warn you that no orginization has enough IT personnel to do the job properly (they generally staff at 80% of the mimimum needed), and 95% of the users are idiots.

Damen,

I completely understand. You're a smart guy with very marketable skills, and since you're underpaid you can easily get another job with higher pay as a systems admin (those jobs are a dime a dozen in the DC area). I am with Dennis - time to move on to another job. Post your resume on Careerbuilder, Dice, etc., you should have another job by January.

mrblanche

I wish I had YOUR skills! But I know what you mean. I hate my job, but I love my paycheck.

I didn't intend to drive a truck when I graduated from college. I didn't even intend to drive a truck very long, when I started driving a truck. And I've quit a number of times.

I really worried about our job security, etc., when my wife and I were bumming around the country driving a truck and her brother-in-law was a maintainability engineer at DEC. Then he got retired (buy-out), and hasn't really worked at anything since; and I'm making great money delivering toys, right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Damen,

I completely understand. You're a smart guy with very marketable skills, and since you're underpaid you can easily get another job with higher pay as a systems admin (those jobs are a dime a dozen in the DC area). I am with Dennis - time to move on to another job. Post your resume on Careerbuilder, Dice, etc., you should have another job by January.
    yeah, my wife tries to get me to quit all the time
    so does my manager (though HER boss would shit bricks if he knew that)

only 2 reasons I stay where I am. Location (I have a 3 mile commute) and comfort (I know the place/customer better than anyone.. so I've gotten pretty comfortable here)
    Well, 3 reasons - I like getting to work with my wife.

But yeah, I'm getting to the point where enough is enough. When I went from sr helpdesk to sr sysadmin, they gave me a whopping 3200/yr. when I got my MCSE, they gave me a pat on the head and said "that's nice" (which, by the way, I paid for myself - no company assistance). All that, and I'm making, on average, 20k/yr less than my coworkers? people are insane.

I'm going to stick it out at least through january, as I may have a good prospect opening up then that would move both me and my wife someplace cheaper... but if that doesnt come through, then I'll just have to find something else.

mrblanche

I have friends in IT. One works for HP, usually on contract to Southwest Airlines, but also floating where they need him. You'd like him. Heck, everyone likes him. He's a past VP of our T club. He built his T starting at 15. The frame is made from the roll bar of an old John Deere 4020 tractor.

The other works IT for a big health care system. He built his T some years ago, and recently sold it. Now he's driving and working on a 1955 Ford F-50 pickup.

Both those guys seem to be doing well and are happy with their work.

But I have heard of others who aren't.

so does my manager (though HER boss would sh*t bricks if he knew that)

But yeah, I'm getting to the point where enough is enough. When I went from sr helpdesk to sr sysadmin, they gave me a whopping 3200/yr. when I got my MCSE, they gave me a pat on the head and said "that's nice" (which, by the way, I paid for myself - no company assistance). All that, and I'm making, on average, 20k/yr less than my coworkers? people are insane.
    Simple solution - go to big boss who would **** bricks if you were to leave, and tell this person that you are going to move on to another position unless they take care of the pay discrepancy. The squeaky wheel gets oiled. You have nothing to loss and everything to gain. Believe me once they realize they will have to replace you with someone they will have to pay market value and that person will be lucky to be 1/2 has good as you, they will pay you close to market value. You're in the driver seat. Then if they don't pay then you can always leave.

mrblanche,

Nice Hot Rods - both are very well done.

DonTom

"I HATE my job"

You need a sinecure like mine. I am at "work" right now, if we can call it that!

And I love this job. I mainly do whatever I want, whenever I want. And I picked my own hours.

If you want a sinecure, "work" for the government and "work" nights.

"I'm hugely underpaid "

Ever notice the more a person must work, the less they get paid? I am paid quite well!

-Don-

mrblanche

Research has shown that virtually everyone thinks they are underpaid about 25%...and the least efficient business in the U.S. is government.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Damen,

so does my manager (though HER boss would shit bricks if he knew that)

only 2 reasons I stay where I am. Location (I have a 3 mile commute) and comfort (I know the place/customer better than anyone.. so I've gotten pretty comfortable here)
    Well, 3 reasons - I like getting to work with my wife.

I'm going to stick it out at least through january, as I may have a good prospect opening up then that would move both me and my wife someplace cheaper... but if that doesnt come through, then I'll just have to find something else.
    Voice of Experience, my son:

I have been in your shoes and if I learned anything from that it is this - you must leave. It is counter-productive (and destructive to your well-being) to remain in any job where you are under-valued and/or maltreated. The thing is, to leave on your terms - when it's good for you. Never, ever, make the mistake of putting a company or employer's interests above your own. Ever. Think ahead, six months. A year. Five years. Do not let time slip away. Make the most of your 20s/early 30s; work like a fiend. Think laterally as well as vertically. Always have a fallback position - and make the first move yourself. Do not allow things to happen to you. Make them happen for you.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be actively looking for a way out - but don't make that obvious - or even give a hint of what you're doing until you've got your exit lined up. Then you can walk in and say, "hasta la vista, baby." It is very gratifying!

DonTom

"Research has shown that virtually everyone thinks they are underpaid about 25%"

I would have thought it would have been even more. But I am not the "virtually everyone" type and I have no complaints about my pay.

"...and the least efficient business in the U.S. is government."

Only in terms of money -- which is not an interest in government. You may have to pay an army for many years and hope to NEVER have to use it. I am here in case things go wrong. I work in a 9-1-1 center. I have to be immediately available when things break and I have to know what to do when such happens. And that can happen right in the middle of eating my dinner. I do a few other things too, but most of the time I have is free time for myself to do stuff such as this.

But when you check things such as how fast can we get to the scene after a reported heart attack, fire or serious crime, you will see it's very efficient and the time can be easily proven in every case. There's more than money involved when we consider efficiency. We're here to insure public safety. We are not here to make money or profit for the city.

-Don- (from my sinecure in SF)

I'd love to be gov't
    at least around here - they've got it good

of course, I'd rather work in the private sector instead - I liked that much more - but, once you do gov't work, you tend to get stuck. noone wants to hire you for anything else

DonTom

"noone wants to hire you for anything else"

Yes, they know we get spoiled. However, I don't mind working once in a great while, it makes me feel useful.

-Don- (SF)

I'd love to be gov't

of course, I'd rather work in the private sector instead - I liked that much more - but, once you do gov't work, you tend to get stuck. noone wants to hire you for anything else
    The best deal there around is working for yourself. Then you get all the benefit of your effort; not just a paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "noone wants to hire you for anything else"

Yes, they know we get spoiled. However, I don't mind working once in a great while, it makes me feel useful.

-Don- (SF)
    I meant contractors as well - once you've done any work for the gov't, everyone assumes thats all you ever want to do

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    Only in terms of money -- which is not an interest in government. You may have to pay an army for many years and hope to NEVER have to use it. I am here in case things go wrong. I work in a 9-1-1 center. I have to be immediately available when things break and I have to know what to do when such happens. And that can happen right in the middle of eating my dinner. I do a few other things too, but most of the time I have is free time for myself to do stuff such as this.

But when you check things such as how fast can we get to the scene after a reported heart attack, fire or serious crime, you will see it's very efficient and the time can be easily proven in every case. There's more than money involved when we consider efficiency. We're here to insure public safety. We are not here to make money or profit for the city.

-Don- (from my sinecure in SF)
    But do you send a public or private ambulance? I'm sure you send a city-paid fire truck or police officer.

However, even in my fairly safe area, the police have a long enough response time that they're only in time to take the report. We live only a couple of blocks from the fire station, so we hear them going out all the time.

For what it's worth, I couldn't work in a 911 center. I'd get too involved.

I once worked for the only "government agency" that takes no tax money and actually pays money TO the government; the Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES).

I'd love to be gov't

Damen,

Only problem is that somebody intelligent and with a good work ethic like yourself would be bored after a week of working as a Government employee in the type of situation you describe. How boring it must be to never challenge your brain and after 30 - 40 years of service then retirement. That's no fun. Busting your hump for a buck is hard but in the end the work is more enjoyable and you feel like you actually did something. Ever taken a ride on the DC subway during rush hour? Notice all the drones (many of whom are Government workers) starring into space with depressed looks on their faces. Not me, I'd rather make less money and enjoy what I do for a living.

Don,

Those that work in the fire and rescue operations are in my experience very dedicated and underpaid folks who are not afraid to risk their lives. They save countless lives every year. And much praise should be given to them. I have been to SF and I can only imagine how busy working in your field there must be. SF is a tough city to get around with the street design/layout and hills. However I am sure the work you do is very rewarding, when you go home at night you feel you actually made a difference.