Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orders Flood In for Dodge Challenger SRT8

Orders Flood In for Dodge Challenger SRT8

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/home/...4&Itemid=10815

What has muscle cars fans squealing like teenage girls at a Hannah Montana concert?

Try the all-new 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8. Just in the first DAY of orders, more than 4,300 people plunked down a deposit for the American muscle coupe. And more than 6,000 have made deposits with dealers since orders opened on Monday, months before the limited-edition Challenger SRT8 goes into production.

?This is unprecedented,? said Mark Mallie, Challenger Brand Manager ? Dodge Marketing. ?Customers were actually coming to us and pushing us, so we thought this was a good time to take pre-sale orders.?

Orders are still coming in ? long before enthusiasts have even seen the car. They?ll have to wait until the production Dodge Challenger SRT8 makes its debut at the Chicago Auto Show next February. But there?s no surprise about the benchmark performance of the Challenger SRT8. Each is powered by a 6.1-liter HEMI V-8, and features a numbered dash plaque, plus dual ?carbon-fiber? hood stripes that harken back to the original Dodge Challenger.

The car is available in black, silver or HEMI orange.

?More than half of the orders are HEMI Orange,? Mallie said. ?It?s been almost 35 years since the last Challenger, and there?s a lot of interest. There?s a lot of people anxious for it. It?s certainly an iconic muscle car.?

The manufacturer?s suggested retail price is $37,995, including a $675 destination fee. Remember ? this is a SRT, delivering top-of-the-line performance, world-class ride and handling, benchmark braking and a race-inspired interior. Pricing on the rest of the Challenger lineup will be announced at a later date.

Since pricing was announced on Nov. 29, Web site traffic to www.Dodge.com has spiked up 23 percent, Mallie said.

The muscle car wars start next spring, when deliveries begin for the Challenger SRT8.

But later this week, muscle car fans will have more to squeal about, when we release some eye candy.

Editor Note: Stay tuned Dodge will release photos of the production Challenger real soon...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Orders Flood In for Dodge Challenger SRT8

I can't wait for it, either... I am much more excited about this car than I am the new Camaro....!

yeah yeah, it's still a Dodge :P
    It isnt a real american car unless it wears a bowtie *girns*
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Quote Originally Posted by damen
    yeah yeah, it's still a Dodge :P
    It isnt a real american car unless it wears a bowtie *girns*
    It's good to have both!

I think for me it comes down to this... I'm not a huge fan of the first generation Camaro (or Firebird). I much prefer the sleeker look of the second generation F-cars (1970-81) and the same goes for the "second gen" E-Body Mopars ('Cuda and Challenger).... and the "new" Camaro is, of course, inspired by the early cars while the Challenger is inspired by the second gen. versions of the original....

For me, a '70 'Cuda is about as cool as it gets... those things were wild and fierce and outrageous in every way - which was probably due to Mopar being late to the game, originally - and having to play catch up to the established pony cars.

I'm happy both the Camaro and the Challenger are coming back to life - but I don't think they'll last more than three model years, unfortunately....

have faith, brother!
    we shall prevail

Quote Originally Posted by damen
    have faith, brother!
    we shall prevail
    I wish I could be as optimistic - but I'm old enough to remember how gas prices and government regulations just about slaughtered Detroit (and powerful V-8, RWD cars) in the '70s ... and this time, the forces at work are stronger and the "fallback resources" of US automakers far weaker than they were before.

With CAFE set to increase to 35 mpg and gas prices at $3 right now (and likely to go up rather than down) it is hard to see much of a future for 28 mpg (at best) V-8 muscle coupes - which are not easy sells even in the best of times. Yes, I know that the volume models will have smaller V-6 engines.

But even these will be hard pressed to achieve 35 mpg - and because of the size/weight of the cars, larger V-6s in the 3.8-4.2 liter range are almost a given. That means $40 fill-ups at today's prices; possibly $60 fill-ups at tomorrow's... and that's with the "small" engine. V-8 versions will likely need premium (which right now is around $3.30) and burn it more rapidly, so add 20-30 percent ot the cost of fueling one of these things.... vs. $35 (and far less often) for a FWD car with a 4-cylinder engine....

Another factor that weighs against the Camaro and the Challenger is the existence of many sporty sedans, wagons and hatches that offer versatility/practicality that a cramped two-door, two-plus-two simply can't.

And of course, we're very likely on the cusp of a recession - which will not be kind to "fun" cars that require disposable income.... .

The Challenger may survive. In the past when I looked at/test drove a SRT8 Dodge Charger, it does not meet the CAFE ratings and there's a gas guzzler tax which adds a couple thousand dollar to the sticker price:

http://www.srt8oc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1390

So my guess is that the Challenger SRT8 if it does not meet the CAFE ratings it will be taxed. Chrysler got the attitude a few years ago from Mercedes-Benz to just pass the gas-guzzler tax to its customers on high-end performance cars. GM has always had a policy that it will never pay or pass-on to its customers the gas guzzler tax from the CAFE ratings.

Damen,

Here's a little bit of trivia for you, the designer who works for Chrysler who is solely responsible for the Dodge Challenger concept car's design - his personal car is a '69 Chevrolet Camaro.

I also love the new Camaro Concept car but I would have to say I prefer the new Challenger to the upcoming new Camaro. And that the SRT8 Hemi is more powerful than a GM LS3 or LS2. The SRT8 Hemi 6.1 is underrated - I calculate in the Grand Cherokee, the SRT8 Hemi in order to move almost 5,000 lbs to a 13.3 second 1/4 mile time it's got to be at least 460 - 470 horsepower. That's my take.

The last rumors I heard for the camaro indicated that the high-test version (still up for debate whether that will be SS or Z28 badged) will be pushing 550+hp

" Chrysler got the attitude a few years ago from Mercedes-Benz to just pass the gas-guzzler tax to its customers on high-end performance cars. GM has always had a policy that it will never pay or pass-on to its customers the gas guzzler tax from the CAFE ratings."

But there's a difference with a "Joe Sixpack" car like the Challenger and a high-end luxury car such as an E or S-Class Benz. People who make $150k annually and buy $60,000-$80,000 luxury cars don't give much of damn about a $1,000 gas guzzler tax/surcharge. But the people who are the Camaro and Challenger's are middle class types with much lower incomes who have to care about an extra grand or two... it can (and likely will) make a huge difference....

Dodge posted these up to their media site this morning! ;D

I love the new grill. Great throw back, glad they're getting away from the 'cross hair'

I hear that the new Ram will ALSO get away from the crosshair ???

FULL SIZE

FULL SIZE

FULL SIZE

FULL SIZE

Edit: Fixed full size links
    I live in a van... DOWN BY THE RIVER

I am digging this car, too!

Crikey... last time I was tempted by a new car was waaaaay back in 1995, when I had a chance to buy a Cobra R, 351 & Tremec 5-speed.... now here we go again...!

l3it3r,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I just did the same thing on the main page, the production SRT8 is going to be even better than the concept car. I can easily see these things going for $20,000 over sticker the first few months. Wow this car is hot:

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/home/...9&Itemid=10817

There were a few rumors floating a few months back that the SRT8 may have a shakerhood scoop similar to the aftermarket one currently available for the new Charger R/T:

Since Dodge doesn't show us the hood in their sneak peak photos they're going to leave us in suspense.

Shaker hood was not seen on any rolling production mules.

l3it3r,

Thanks that's what I was afraid of. Oh well everything else looks so good on the car it's such a small issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    " Chrysler got the attitude a few years ago from Mercedes-Benz to just pass the gas-guzzler tax to its customers on high-end performance cars. GM has always had a policy that it will never pay or pass-on to its customers the gas guzzler tax from the CAFE ratings."

But there's a difference with a "Joe Sixpack" car like the Challenger and a high-end luxury car such as an E or S-Class Benz. People who make $150k annually and buy $60,000-$80,000 luxury cars don't give much of damn about a $1,000 gas guzzler tax/surcharge. But the people who are the Camaro and Challenger's are middle class types with much lower incomes who have to care about an extra grand or two... it can (and likely will) make a huge difference....
    I agree but most take a prospective SRT8 Charger owner, who is already shelling out $40K what's an extra 2K for such a fast and great handling limited production car. Most SRT8 owners generally are not Joe Sixpacks - I see more yuppies in them then anyone else. In fact I know one guy who bought one after driving a 2003 BMW M5 for a few years.

I think on the R/T and lower models if they had a gas guzzler tax it would hurt sales.

Want to see what the car REALLY looks like? (Albeit in grainy cellphone photos?)

From recent dealer only (and internet - who will they tell?) preview

I can't wait to get my sweatyhands on a test car; should be soon!

Please let me know.. I want to see it!! lol

l3it3r,

Thanks for posting. Even in the grainy photos that car looks great. Looks like the concept's split ram air setup is on the production car. It will be interesting to see what the ram air setup under the hood looks like since the Hemi is a front breather.

Quote Originally Posted by l3it3r
    Please let me know.. I want to see it!! lol
    I will; you guys can make the pilgrimage to the Land of the Edentulites when I do!