Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orders Flood In for Dodge Challenger SRT8

Re: Orders Flood In for Dodge Challenger SRT8

Originally posted on SRTForums.com and CaliberForums.com
    I live in a van... DOWN BY THE RIVER

Gareebee

I also believe that, despite the enthusiasm for these cars they will be short-lived (2-3 years). I'm guessing it is more to do with us aging boomers, aflush with cash, wanting one more fling at our high school days, prancing about in our muscle-cars. I had my share ('67 Chevelle 396 & '69 Z-28) and some of that is still in my blood. Kids likely will not be so drawn to this and probably will get a kick out of the gray hairs in cars their rice-rockets won't be able to touch. After a few years we will "get it out of our system" and we will trade these things on ebay as collector items. Nonetheless, it will be fun for a few years. No doubt, the speeding ticket count should take a bit of a jump. <G>

Oh, well, since I had the Z-28, Ill have to get the '09 Camaro. <G>

Garry

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gareebee
    I also believe that, despite the enthusiasm for these cars they will be short-lived (2-3 years). I'm guessing it is more to do with us aging boomers, aflush with cash, wanting one more fling at our high school days, prancing about in our muscle-cars. I had my share ('67 Chevelle 396 & '69 Z-28) and some of that is still in my blood. Kids likely will not be so drawn to this and probably will get a kick out of the gray hairs in cars their rice-rockets won't be able to touch. After a few years we will "get it out of our system" and we will trade these things on ebay as collector items. Nonetheless, it will be fun for a few years. No doubt, the speeding ticket count should take a bit of a jump. <G>

Oh, well, since I had the Z-28, Ill have to get the '09 Camaro. <G>

Garry
    My view also.

Both cars - at least, the V-8 performance versions - will cost $30k or so. Add insurance and gas (at maybe $4 per gallon) and few under-30s will be able to even think about owning one.

Another issue that hasn't go much press is that today - unlike the '60s or '70s - there are a dozen or more high-performance sedans and wagons available. These cars offer the enthusiast driver the same thrills - but with everyday practicality a two-door coupe with unusable back seats and a small trunk simply cannot.

You can sell the wife on an EVO sedan, for example - or yourself on an Audi sportwagon, if you need to look respectable for work, etc.

But a Camaro or Challenger? Fine if you're a single young guy... but more problematic (and less appealing) if you're not!