Thread: Saab 9-3 gets some praise (if not buyers)

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Saab 9-3 gets some praise (if not buyers)

DETROIT ? The Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan, SportCombi and Convertible have earned the 2008 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety?s Top Safety Pick Award in the midsize category.

This is the fourth consecutive year that the 9-3 Sport Sedan has brought home IIHS top honors, an unique achievement in the luxury segment. For 2007 the 9-3 earned the Top Safety Pick Award, in 2006 the 9-3 earned the Top Safety Pick ? Gold Award and received a Double Best Pick crash-test rating for 2005.

The institute began testing convertibles in 2007. In the inaugural year, the 9-3 Convertible earned a top spot. This is the second year running that the Saab 9-3 Convertible earns the Top Safety Pick Award ? one of two convertibles and the only soft-top convertible to earn a top spot.

The Institute rates vehicles good, acceptable, marginal, or poor based on performance in high-speed front and side-impact crash tests plus evaluations of seat/head restraints for protection against neck injuries. Winning vehicles must earn good ratings in all three tests and offer electronic stability control.

?The Saab 9-3 performed well in front and side crash tests and the Saab Active Head Restraints provide state-of-the-art protection against neck injuries,? said IIHS President Adrian Lund. "The addition of electronic stability control as standard equipment confirms Saab?s commitment to vehicle safety.?

IIHS is a nonprofit research and communications organization funded by auto insurers. The Institute's research focuses on countermeasures aimed at all three factors in motor vehicle crashes (human, vehicular, and environmental) and on interventions that can occur before, during, and after crashes to reduce losses.

Re: Saab 9-3 gets some praise (if not buyers)

Popular cars around here (DC Area)
    I live in a van... DOWN BY THE RIVER

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l3it3r
    Popular cars around here (DC Area)
    Saab was once the Swedish BMW - esp. the old 900 Turbo. It was a very cool car to have circa late '80s... .

GM managed to disappear Saab, though. Its sales and market percentage have fallen to sad lows.

I like Saabs a lot. They have an interesting personality and some unique features I dig (such as the "night panel" button that lets you shut off most of the gauge cluster and run "dark" if you want to.

The powerful turbo models remain unusual in still having pretty peaky power curves, too - which you either really like or really hate! ;D

A buddy of mine had an '04 9-3T, and it would stand toe to toe with my (then stock) SRT-4! I was very impressed with the car. He's a big swede fan and has had almost every model volvo or saab available, and the 9-3 was my favorite of his saabs.
    I live in a van... DOWN BY THE RIVER

I think the problem with Saab is they got a little too conservative on their styling. The Saab 900 turbos were really agressive looking cars with looks to match their performance. Ever since the Saab 9000 - Saab has slowly moved to the conservative side. Saab is now closer to Volvo than BMW as you mentioned Eric.

The new Saab Turbo X is a step in the right direction back to those aggressive looking Saabs that have looks to match their performance:

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/home/...8&Itemid=10287

Saab's new AWD system looks very impressive.