Thread: Gas for 33 cents per gallon!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Gas for 33 cents per gallon!

MINOCQUA, Wis. - Dozens of drivers made a mad rush for cheap gas after a station employee accidentally changed the price to 33 cents a gallon.

An employee closing Trig's Minocqua Shell for the night mistakenly entered the price of a gallon of gasoline as 32.9 cents instead of $3.299 on Monday night.

He left about 10 p.m., but drivers could still use their credit cards to buy gas.

Word of the bargain spread fast in the rural northern Wisconsin community, with 42 people buying 586 gallons of gas in an hour and 45 minutes. One person had pumped 27 gallons and two purchased 18 gallons.

Local police saw the horde at the station and called store manager Andrea Reuland, who went to the station and pushed the emergency stop.

"There were cars two deep at each of my pumps," said Reuland, who knew many of the drivers and told them they were being dishonest ? the main store sign had the correct price.

"I was very upset that there's that many dishonest people," she said. "They knew there was a problem, and they took advantage of an employee's mistake and I think that's terrible."

The employee, who has been there for about six months, had changed the gas prices 25 times in the past six months.

"It was an honest mistake," Reuland said. "I could have done it."

Area residents were still talking about it Friday morning.

"Was it you guys?" a woman in the station asked Reuland. "Why do I always miss the good stuff?"

mrblanche

Re: Gas for 33 cents per gallon!

The manager is just flat wrong. The price on the pump is the price of the gas, no matter what the sign may say.

I found this out the hard way with a dealer that advertised one price, but had a different one on the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    The manager is just flat wrong. The price on the pump is the price of the gas, no matter what the sign may say.

I found this out the hard way with a dealer that advertised one price, but had a different one on the pump.
    Aren't the prices changed on the pumps and on the exterior price structures via a computier inside the gas station office?

Or are they manually changed?

Larry T

mrblanche

Usually the signs are changed manually.

Staff

I wish I could have gotten it for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    I wish I could have gotten it for that price.
    Years ago, something sort of similar happened when a local station forgot to turn off the pumps at closing time. These were the olden style pumps that weren't tied into a computer, so you could just fill up. And fill up... and fill up.

And people did!

All night long....

These were the olden style pumps that weren't tied into a computer,
    [/quote]

When you say"old style pumps", were you referring to those that the customer pumps a vertical pump handle on the side of the pump. They pump that handle to and fro and the gas fill up a cylindrical glass drum that fills up to the number of gallons desired and they gas up. I used to work in a military post exchange in Kobe, Japan during the American occupation of Japan in 1947. Of course I was with the Occupation forces (as a soldier). Or was it a different kind of pump you mentioned?

Larry T

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan
    These were the olden style pumps that weren't tied into a computer,
    When you say"old style pumps", were you referring to those that the customer pumps a vertical pump handle on the side of the pump. They pump that handle to and fro and the gas fill up a cylindrical glass drum that fills up to the number of gallons desired and they gas up. I used to work in a military post exchange in Kobe, Japan during the American occupation of Japan in 1947. Of course I was with the Occupation forces (as a soldier). Or was it a different kind of pump you mentioned?

Larry T
    [/quote]

No, these were just the old mechanical ones - no digital displays or card readers but otherwise similar to the ones you see today. Someone just left them on, so all you had to do was lift the arm, pump, then re-set and do it again...

I remember back in the late 90s, we were filling up and gas was about $.97 at the time for regular. Back then $20 would get me around all weekend, from home in northern MD to Annapolis, DC, even out to Hagerstown sometimes, and back and I'd have some change left over for tolls or a soda and sandwich..

ANYWAY, we were filling up at a station that was advertising about $.97 or .98 (which we though was a rip off) and after I'd pumped my '89 Reliant K full, I realized that my charge was only $.77!! Sadly, back then, I didn't have a credit card (and debit cards either weren't available, or didn't work... can't remember) and had to pay in cash, and thought the clerk wouldn't let me get away with it. The clerk looked at the cost and laughed.. he siad "crap, you got one on me" and let me pay the $.77! He stopped all the pumps, fixed the price and called his manager after that though.
    I live in a van... DOWN BY THE RIVER

Quote Originally Posted by l3it3r
    I remember back in the late 90s, we were filling up and gas was about $.97 at the time for regular. Back then $20 would get me around all weekend, from home in northern MD to Annapolis, DC, even out to Hagerstown sometimes, and back and I'd have some change left over for tolls or a soda and sandwich..

ANYWAY, we were filling up at a station that was advertising about $.97 or .98 (which we though was a rip off) and after I'd pumped my '89 Reliant K full, I realized that my charge was only $.77!! Sadly, back then, I didn't have a credit card (and debit cards either weren't available, or didn't work... can't remember) and had to pay in cash, and thought the clerk wouldn't let me get away with it. The clerk looked at the cost and laughed.. he siad "crap, you got one on me" and let me pay the $.77! He stopped all the pumps, fixed the price and called his manager after that though.
    I remember when (not so long ago) I could fill my Trans-Am for under $30... with premium.

Now it takes $40 to fill my little Nissan pick-up.... .

Thank Elvis for press cars and free gas!

I put almost $70 of gas in my Durango the other day. REGULAR.

I remember rolling around with my Bestfriend in his SRT-8 and he'd be putting about that much in of Premium.. that was about 6 or so months ago.

I daily drive my SRT-4 which gets about 200Miles to the tank, and I usually only fill it about with 8.5-9 gallons. So its not sooo bad.. plus, I only drive about 500-600 miles a month.

I put almost $70 of gas in my Durango the other day. REGULAR.

I remember rolling around with my Bestfriend in his SRT-8 and he'd be putting about that much in of Premium.. that was about 6 or so months ago.

I daily drive my SRT-4 which gets about 200Miles to the tank, and I usually only fill it about with 8.5-9 gallons. So its not sooo bad.. plus, I only drive about 500-600 miles a month.
    My TA's essentially retired; it sees maybe 1,500 miles annually - so fueling it doesn't hurt so much. But it really sucks to have to spend $40 to fill a compact, 4-cylinder truck... and even my bike costs $15 to tank from empty.

$27 to put gas in the CR-V every four days (I don't like letting it get too far below half-empty)

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    $27 to put gas in the CR-V every four days (I don't like letting it get too far below half-empty)

Chip H.
    It's crazy, eh? That's nearly $60 per week to feed a pretty "economical" compact SUV/crossover....

Yeah.. I don't fill up very often anymore, but it's usually only $30 in the SRT

[/quote]

[/quote]

Eric,
    Yes, I remember those type when I was working part time back in the mid 1950's in Honolulu after my discharge from the Army.There were no self-serve in those days, only full-serve and at the end of the day we switched off all the pumps pressed a button on each pump to return the gallon-counter to "0". The prices were low in those days, but you have to remember we didn't earn as much as we all do at present.

Larry T

West Virginia STILL doesn't earn "that" much

There are parts of this country that are VERY much affected by this price increase. Here in Northern Virginia, DC, Maryland, etc.. it's not as HUGE a deal, but in WV, the average income is below poverty! That's the type of areas where this makes the big impact.

West Virginia STILL doesn't earn "that" much

There are parts of this country that are VERY much affected by this price increase. Here in Northern Virginia, DC, Maryland, etc.. it's not as HUGE a deal, but in WV, the average income is below poverty! That's the type of areas where this makes the big impact.
    Yep; I'm not far from W.Va. - and rural SW Va. is not unlike W.Va. - and very unlike Northern Va....

Larry T
    Those things were alive and well in Taiwan in the late 50s at some R.O.C. bases. The guys manning the pumps made a huge deal of the whole thing.

D_E_Davis

When you say"old style pumps", were you referring to those that the customer pumps a vertical pump handle on the side of the pump. They pump that handle to and fro and the gas fill up a cylindrical glass drum that fills up to the number of gallons desired and they gas up.
    Those you encountered were really ancient, as in 1940 Mr. Cole, who ran the Richfield station down the street, had replaced the manual handle with an electric pump on his.