Thread: VW dealer

VW dealer

I went in for my 5000 mile service today. While there, I noticed that they had eleven, count 'em, eleven leftover 2007 VW Eos convertibles on the lot, and a twelfth, a red one, on the showroom floor, connected to a battery charger.

When I bought my GTI in April, they had eleven Eos on the lot, and one, a red one, in the showroom.

Also, I didn't find a single car with a manual transmission on their whole lot. They did have a 2008 R32 on the floor, a nice red one. Sticker was $36K.

Re: VW dealer

The top mechanism looks like a failure waiting to happen, I don't blame people for not buying.

What ever happened to the basic "peoples' car?"

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

Apparently there's no money in it.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    I went in for my 5000 mile service today. While there, I noticed that they had eleven, count 'em, eleven leftover 2007 VW Eos convertibles on the lot, and a twelfth, a red one, on the showroom floor, connected to a battery charger.

When I bought my GTI in April, they had eleven Eos on the lot, and one, a red one, in the showroom.

Also, I didn't find a single car with a manual transmission on their whole lot. They did have a 2008 R32 on the floor, a nice red one. Sticker was $36K.
    I'm not surprised. The Eos is a nice car - but pricey and (to me) a bit on the sparse side (given the price).

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    The top mechanism looks like a failure waiting to happen, I don't blame people for not buying.

It's been rendered untenable by government mandates, for one. And for two, today's buyers want "bells and whistles" (including all the saaaaafety equipment I love to rant against), which drives up the cost.

Remember: The original Beetle was retired not due to lack of demand - but rather because the car could no longer comply with federal emissions and safety requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

It's been rendered untenable by government mandates, for one. And for two, today's buyers want "bells and whistles" (including all the saaaaafety equipment I love to rant against), which drives up the cost.

Remember: The original Beetle was retired not due to lack of demand - but rather because the car could no longer comply with federal emissions and safety requirements.
    Bells and whistles, yes, but I don't know about a buyer 'demand' for safety related equipment. If demand were that great, the govt would not have to require it. And the airheads making the rules are worse than Joan Claybrook if that is possible.

My current gripes are about the longevity of these safety extras. The replacement times for seat belts, airbags, etc., which I think are around ten years make it economically impossible to run a car past that time. Nothing requires that now but wait and see.

I was surprised to see the Eos models fitted with the same crappy OEM-grade 65-series tires as the base-model Rabbit and Beetle.

Is Germanic efficiency such that a VW cannot be had with you MrDecibel had with your CRX 1.8?

Personally my LS1 Chev is a replacement for my 1957 XK 3.4.

I'm intriuged by my 2001 car sound system, which has 10 CD in the trunk and all sorts of buttons on the dash and steering wheel, this being a GM car I am wondering WHY? When I can have live-streaming audio in earphones... well soon if I wish.

People can now drive deaf, except to live-streaming sound...

To what point do practical cars intersect with with 'use'? Eric loves old V8s. I love old British steam express trains.

At their best they were the results of the best imagination, engineering, and a mixture of skills not helped by individualism .
    Yet I can look at your home, you can look at mine by US camera,

here is a dress I bought for Margaret, and all argument now ceases.. she said thankyou.. but you must not think this is anything but a game, but if you have seen her you would know she is a Prebby but smiles when she talks of the ill , the "Oi'v not died o' the winter yet".

well, you ought not think you can buy a dress for a female, I have erred

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Is Germanic efficiency such that a VW cannot be had with you MrDecibel had with your CRX 1.8?
    Je ne comprehend pas.

And the CRX was a 1.6.

And the CRX was a 1.6.
    Thought you put a bigger engine in sorry. Actually I'm SURE you did an engine transplant.

"I'm intriuged by my 2001 car sound system, which has 10 CD in the trunk and all sorts of buttons on the dash and steering wheel, this being a GM car I am wondering WHY? When I can have live-streaming audio in earphones... well soon if I wish.

People can now drive deaf, except to live-streaming sound..."

This is (sadly) the trend - due, I believe, to the fact that "driving" is no longer as fun as it was and for many has become a tedious chore - slogging through bump and grind traffic, etc. Hence, we ree-quire entertainment to keep us occupied ... and pacified. And to drown the outside world out....

"Hell is other people"

Jean-Paul Sartre

And the CRX was a 1.6.
    Thought you put a bigger engine in sorry. Actually I'm SURE you did an engine transplant.
    Yes, but both were 1.6. The replacement had DOHC and higher compression though.

Ah, thankyou. I recall it required an investment of energy and emotion, if not cubic inches.

Every time I see a CRX I think of you and that Google map... Not many about now. Future classic? I guess the 2 litre VTEC Interga has taken over... they [Integra] are highly sought after by keen young men as an alternative to WRX and Evo and Nissan RWD turbo. In all cases they have to be manual trans, lowered, big wheels and loud exhaust. The city fathers hate it!

Ah, thankyou. I recall it required an investment of energy and emotion, if not cubic inches.

Every time I see a CRX I think of you and that Google map... Not many about now. Future classic? I guess the 2 litre VTEC Interga has taken over... they [Integra] are highly sought after by keen young men as an alternative to WRX and Evo and Nissan RWD turbo. In all cases they have to be manual trans, lowered, big wheels and loud exhaust. The city fathers hate it!
    You know, I used to see those CRXs all the time; but it's been years, I think, since the last time I spotted one on the road... .

I still see a couple of '88-'91 CRXs running around, both in very nice cosmetic condition. I can't remember the last time I saw a 1-st generation '84-'87 CRX.