Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heresy - or the way to go?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Heresy - or the way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by damen
    especially when it breaks down and they stop making new parts for it
    New/replacement parts for most any muscle car engine are readily available! Especially for the Chevy small block....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    New/replacement parts for most any muscle car engine are readily available! Especially for the Chevy small block....
    that was a joke Eric :P (I was picking on your choice of the word "irreplacable")
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

that was a joke Eric :P (I was picking on your choice of the word "irreplacable")
    Ah, so!

Some parts are getting harder to find - esp. for long out-of-production engines (example, my Pontiac 455). But Chevy small blocks are still in production and parts are abundant and pretty cheap.

By the way, a stock SS350 Camaro (295 hp, gross) was a very tractable, streetable muscle car. The SS 396 was less so!

Most old muscle cars have off the shelf mechanical parts. For instance if you need an oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, brake pads, etc for a 1971 Hemi Cuda, you can buy most of these parts at any part store. Having owned the old and the new, I can say mechanical parts on new cars is a lot more expensive. For instance if you need a rebuild on a 727 3-speed automatic transmission out of an old mopar muscle car it's about $1,200 for a rebuild. A rebuild of an automatic transmission on a new Mopar 5-speed automatic in a SRT8 vehicle will cost at least double that. A catalytic converter replacement on newer cars can be as expensive as $1,000. How about sensors and computers? These parts are very expensive. Older cars are easy to work on and fairly cheap to maintain - go out to the country any hillbilly can keep an old car running a new one well that's a different story.

A carb is so simple compared to fuel injection. Never seen a carb car cut out on the road with no warning, seen it plenty of times on newer computer controlled cars.

Have you driven a orginal spec 1967 - 1969 Camaro SS? It's a real treat. You actually feel like you are driving the car, it makes all these great noises and it leaves you wanting more after your done driving.

What I am saying is the new is good, but there something special in the old muscle cars that deserves to be preserved.

Watch this two 1969 Camaro videos (one old tech, one new tech) and compare the two you can tell the difference:

1969 "protour" Camaro with LS1 and 6-speed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=110jnSZOFuY

1969 Camaro Z28 with original sb (chevy) 302 V8 (this one sounds better makes all the sounds even the tranny whine):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i509zrr6SzI

"If a car was not originally an SS, I dont care how much restoration/conversion work you've done to it, it will NEVER be a real SS and shouldnt wear the badge. "

Ok, but if you gut everything that made it an SS except the badges -- then how is it still an SS in any meaningful way? Especially with its heart - the engine - gone?

" If you take a real SS, I dont care what you do to it, it will never STOP being an SS.

I disagree; see above. If I take Damen's mind (and thus, his brain and his personality) out of Damen's body and replace that brain with a different one, do I still have Damen?

Thus you understand why we never liked putting 350s into Jaguars!

But oh why do I bother? None of you understand coming down off the high fells beyond Carlisle with 17 cars behind in freezing rain with an engine from Willesdon with only two tons of coal left and the engine is run to just over the 'ton' and still arrives at Glasgow 12 minutes late, under a thousand gallons left, all the coal left is rubbish , both enginemen had a go at finding some good stuff climbing ito the freezing wind on the tender, and the engine is booked to return with the 'up' "Caledonian" ... this is 1962.. and the engine was put away in Polmadie Shed with kids all wide-eyed and the driver wrote, "runs well" on the sheet.

'Performance' was when with the bad coal they nearly stalled on Shap at something not much above walking pace, but still 'got over' at 12mph in icy sleet at the summit and only 150lbs sq in left but after the discovery of better coal underneath they turned the fire around a bit and got her back to 225 lbs., both covered now with rain and cinders, ... and the Duchess ran beautifully, with the grey pre-dawn light past Ayrshire at 6am that's when he 'let her go' even though there were yellows ahead, 15% cutoff 2nd valve there was a nod from the signalman and that's when we knew ... the 'stopper' ahead was *not* ahead but was stationary, and late, as we passed, and we did a brief bit of power using the slight downgrade and no real wind and she keep running and running.

The speedo wasn't working but I KNOW that was over 100mph. I'm told there were complaints about it from the sleepers who were just waking up, and when we stood at Glasgow a few rather angry passengers looked at the driver as they walked past, but one or two in their 7am fog nodded at the driver and took a long look at the engine before walking away.

THAT is performance. Running a steam engine 393 miles non-stop on an everyday basis.... except for crew change beyond Carlisle. Lots of people used to build maintain and love those machines. They were all cut up for scrap in 1964-65.

Oops, this is the performance section! <g>

Rob

Fortunately the sbc 350 V8 engine swaps seem to have lost their appeal among the Jaguar folks. Originality is becoming very important as the prices increase. As-a-side-note those Jaguar straight 6s are heavy buggers, the lighter sbc 350 weighed a few hundred pounds less and provided a little more performance potential was the driving force behind these conversions. But I agree if I had a classic Jaguar I would keep the straight six or V12 which ever it came from the factory.

Staff

When it comes to old cars, I think that it is okay to swap out the transmission and make some minor cost effective suspension/steering modifications to make the car handle better.

i believe in keeping the trim exactly the same as it came from the factory, no matter what it is.

As far as the engine goes, it depends on the car. I don't believe in taking an Oldsmobile Cutlass (for instance) with an original 400 and putting a fuel injected Vett engine in it, at least without doing the suspension a bit.

Old cars have crappy suspensions and steering. Their transmissions were crappy as well, with no overdrive.

Since I'm more concerned with going than stopping, brakes don't make that much of a difference.

Just another opinion to add to the mix.

Bottom line, if you like the TREMEC, go for it - but I'd spend the money on a good steering rack and some larger ant-sway bars instead.