Thread: Cheap old TA....

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Cheap old TA....

Here is a deal - maybe - on a "redneck special" Trans-Am in my neck o' the woods:

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/car/530679266.html

$6,200 ain't bad if it's solid - even though the engine's obviously neither original nor correct (no 1980 Trans-Am came with a 400; the 301 was it, turbo or w/4BBl). But still... very cheap!

Re: Cheap old TA....

tell you what, I REALLY need to get my hands on a dirt cheap t/a of the knight rider vintage...
    need to do a special build project with one for my dad
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Quote Originally Posted by damen
    tell you what, I REALLY need to get my hands on a dirt cheap t/a of the knight rider vintage...
    need to do a special build project with one for my dad
    If you're serious about that, start looking now. These cars are still pretty cheap - but that won't last.

Example: When I bought my '76 TA in 1991, I paid $5,200 for it. This was for an immaculate, low-mileage (48k) one-owner car with a near-perfect interior, extremely nice exterior and everything in top notch working condition. That same car today in similar condition would cost much closer to $20k, if not more....

I dont care about the condition, so hopefully that'll keep the prices from being outrageous
    I need to build a KITT for my dad (his name is Michael Knight, I can't NOT do it lol), so a lot of restoration/modification work will be done anyway

I dont care about the condition, so hopefully that'll keep the prices from being outrageous
    I need to build a KITT for my dad (his name is Michael Knight, I can't NOT do it lol), so a lot of restoration/modification work will be done anyway
    That is too much! Michael Knight! How cool is that?

Don't worry about the drivetrain; that's probably junk anyhow - and you'll probably want to replace it regardless. DO worry about the body; third gen. F cars are fully unitized and structural rot at this point - 20-odd years down the line - is an issue to be very aware of. I'd look for a Southern or Western car...

I used to have an '89 IROC remember? *grins* I know a thing or two about the third gen fbodies

oh, and my dad despises knight rider - I take every opportunity to torment him with it

I used to have an '89 IROC remember? *grins* I know a thing or two about the third gen fbodies

oh, and my dad despises knight rider - I take every opportunity to torment him with it
    "... a dangerous journey into the shadowy world of a man who does not exist.."

I forgot!

They were great cars; I especially like the '84-'86 T/As with the "aero" body and the L69 5.0 HO motor...