Thread: Be on the lookout....

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Be on the lookout....

For a nice '73-74 VW Thing within a reasonable (150 miles or so) drive of Roanoke, Va.

Anyone who spies on - or knows where one might be - please let me know!

Re: Be on the lookout....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    For a nice '73-74 VW Thing within a reasonable (150 miles or so) drive of Roanoke, Va.

There's one around here for sale from time to time. However, I'm quite a ways farther than 150 miles. Next time it pops up though, I'll get the details for you. Still, it's more like 550 miles or so from here to there.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

There's one around here for sale from time to time. However, I'm quite a ways farther than 150 miles. Next time it pops up though, I'll get the details for you. Still, it's more like 550 miles or so from here to there.
    Gracias!

I seem to be in a bad area for these cars. They pop up all the time out West (AZ, CA) and also the Northeast, but only rarely in VA for some reason. I found one close by the other day - in Lexington - but it was a thrashed beater and too far gone with rust. I have been there/done that and don't want to again!

My folks like in AZ. I wish either of them were "car people" - because if they were, I'd be able to nab a car in a flash. Ah well!

One problem you have is the proximity to the ocean. Most people who bought those in your are took them to the beach. They probably rarely rinsed the under carriage with clean water so they pretty much dissolved. I'm on the southern edge of the rust belt. Just a few miles north, cars rust away while still in good mechanical order. A little south and there is very little rust. I bought a car in Cave-in-Rock Illinois once that was as solid as the day it was bought. Paint was flaking off going down the road and it really looked bad. It ran good and was completely without rust. It was an '88 and silver. So it got the double whammy of being in the 1988-93 production run when everybody had trouble keeping paint on and it was silver which is always problematic.
    I remember when someone sued Volkswagen because the "Thing" was touted as a dune buggy. Their car got stuck and swamped by the tide. I have (for now) a real dune buggy and the Thing definitely won't go where it will.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

One problem you have is the proximity to the ocean. Most people who bought those in your are took them to the beach. They probably rarely rinsed the under carriage with clean water so they pretty much dissolved. I'm on the southern edge of the rust belt. Just a few miles north, cars rust away while still in good mechanical order. A little south and there is very little rust. I bought a car in Cave-in-Rock Illinois once that was as solid as the day it was bought. Paint was flaking off going down the road and it really looked bad. It ran good and was completely without rust. It was an '88 and silver. So it got the double whammy of being in the 1988-93 production run when everybody had trouble keeping paint on and it was silver which is always problematic.
    I remember when someone sued Volkswagen because the "Thing" was touted as a dune buggy. Their car got stuck and swamped by the tide. I have (for now) a real dune buggy and the Thing definitely won't go where it will.
    Yep; the few I have located near here have been in need of major structural repair - and that is not what I am looking for! (Do this long enough and you learn that you'll end up spending more - often a lot more - to bring back a rusty car than you'd spend "up front" buying a non-rusty car to begin with... 8))

I've owned a bunch of old VWs over the years - including those oddball Squarebacks/Fastbacks with the early FI engine, plus a '73 Super Beetle. I dig these cars, slow as they are, drafty as they may be.

And now that we live in the Boonies and generally drive on slowish secondary roads without much traffic to deal with, a Thing would be funt o have, methinks.

Ideally, a yellow one!

We have a mint Karmann Ghia VW 1960s here I think for about $5,000 NOT SELLING on TradeMe. but it has probably gone.

We also have about 30 pre-WW2 Bentleys here, but few are for sale. A blown Bentley convertible was John Steed's drive in some TV 1960s thing. .. not for sale.

There were many old Rolls Royces in a country town near here last weekend. these don't adhere to normal traffic rules... they pull out in front of you and expect you to stop. Old guys, no respect for anyone, 'family' money. Bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    There were many old Rolls Royces in a country town near here last weekend. these don't adhere to normal traffic rules... they pull out in front of you and expect you to stop. Old guys, no respect for anyone, 'family' money. Bastards!

I used to scare the bejeebers out of people like that with a '57 Chevy pickup I had many years ago. 6 banger with three on the tree. The parking brake was a lever you pulled towards you. The front bumper was an oak plank out of an old barn. People would cut me off and I'd push in on the clutch and jerk the parking brake back. This would lock the rear wheels up and between that and the chains on the bed rattling, it made one heck of a racket. No need to do it twice.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

D_E_Davis

Mind your manners! A Rolls is not required to follow plebian traffic rules. The Rolls has the right-of-way over everything save a Daimler.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    Mind your manners! A Rolls is not required to follow plebian traffic rules. The Rolls has the right-of-way over everything save a Daimler.

Even more so when driven by one's personal chauffeur/chauffeuse wearing full uniform and white kidskin gloves! I quite agree, Mr Davis, we both know there is no substitute for breeding.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

You talkin' Brit Daimler, or German?

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    The Brit ones, naturally - the ones conveying royalty.

The Brit ones, naturally - the ones conveying royalty.

One is surprised that a person might need to enquire! Waves languid hand royally at peasants whilst wafting past in near silence.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

I do keep track of what comes up on eBay; but I need (well, I want) a car close enough to see in person/drive home if I like it. That means a radius of maybe 200 miles. Less, ideally.

I know it limits my prospects and that I will probably have to deal with a cross-country trek - but I keep hoping I'll luck out!

I do keep track of what comes up on eBay; but I need (well, I want) a car close enough to see in person/drive home if I like it. That means a radius of maybe 200 miles. Less, ideally.

I know it limits my prospects and that I will probably have to deal with a cross-country trek - but I keep hoping I'll luck out!

One thing about Beetles and Beetle based vehicles is they are neutral on a trailer. If you have a good tow vehicle, you don't even know they're back there.
    Honk if you love Jesus.