Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - Not Your Father's Oldsmobile

Staff

Re: 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - Not Your Father's Oldsmobile

I agree that this an automotive answer to a question that no one has asked. The styling is definitely top notch and the engine choice is great, but why, why, front wheel drive???

Henry,

It was back in the day when GM took chances, and they released products without asking "why". These were the days before "cost benefit analysis". Taking chances like this made fun and exciting cars. If GM had asked the question "why" there would have never been a second generation Trans Am with flares and big bird on the hood. When GM began to ask "why" its cars did very well on the "cost benefit analysis" charts, but they were no longer fun and exciting.

Have you ever driven a '66 Toronado? "Fun" is not a word I'd use. "Lumbering giant" maybe... It could be considered "exciting" though since the accelleration could far exceed the ability of the brakes.

I think people just like the idea of these cars. And look at the past with rose colored glasses.

I have driven a '66 Toronado, by today's standards it's a lumbering giant. But compare it to most large 1966 American made cars, it handled pretty well. Give me a 1966 luxury car that handled better or stopped better that weighed as much as the Toronado? Yes the front drum brakes take forever to stop the Toronado, the car should have had standard front disc brakes. However most cars back in 1966 had front drum brakes. Ever driven a 1966 Corvette? Even the small block V8 powered 1966 Corvette is too soft on the turns and does not stop too well (even though it had 4 wheel disc brakes) however by 1966 standards the Corvette was the best there was.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Have you ever driven a '66 Toronado? "Fun" is not a word I'd use. "Lumbering giant" maybe... It could be considered "exciting" though since the accelleration could far exceed the ability of the brakes.

I think people just like the idea of these cars. And look at the past with rose colored glasses.
    I've driven an Eldorado of that era; same basic idea. I guess it depends what your likes (and dislikes) are! I like big boozy American "rollers" with huge, lazy engines and massive torque. I love the way these cars look - and could stare at the interior for hours. Does it handle? No - but that's not what these dreadnoughts were all about.

Well, that's why my taste in 1966 cars runs more toward things like the Lancia Fulvia HF...

Oh these were just beautiful.
    There were a couple of them in my old hometown Christchurch ( Rob may have seen them too)

One was as pictured here but the otjher had a larger grill.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Oh these were just beautiful.
    There were a couple of them in my old hometown Christchurch ( Rob may have seen them too)

One was as pictured here but the otjher had a larger grill.
    It was a golden era - and we shall not see its like again. But at least such cars are still available - and if you wish, you can still drive one every now and then, just to remember how things used to be beforer everything went to shit.....

Dad owned 2 Toronados. I believe he had a '66 but he sold it before I was born. You mention "Toronado" in his presence and he grumbles about the brakes for 10 minutes. The second was the ill fated Toronado Trofeo..... we won't even go there. The mention of a Trofeo puts him in a rambling fit. You might as well have asked him to tell you everything he hates about politics.

My father's Oldsmobile is a Viking Blue 1971 442 W30 convertible. He's the original owner. He walked into a dealership in Montreal and plunked down $5735 for the car pictured here sitting on the showroom floor. Apparently he loved the car enough never to trade it or sell it off. I don't think it even has 85,000 miles yet. He was always impressed with the quality of the cars from this era and I don't blame him. He even bought a yellow '66 442 convertible for my mother (she was foolish enough to trade it in on........ a Pacer.....that's a lengthy story on its own). My very first memories are of staring up at a blue sky while in the back of Mom's ragtop.

I myself have been through over half a dozen Oldsmobiles. The old man's had at least a dozen.

I wonder why we grew up an Oldsmobile family?

Nice W30 there.

Quote Originally Posted by ReasonOne
    Dad owned 2 Toronados. I believe he had a '66 but he sold it before I was born. You mention "Toronado" in his presence and he grumbles about the brakes for 10 minutes. The second was the ill fated Toronado Trofeo..... we won't even go there. The mention of a Trofeo puts him in a rambling fit. You might as well have asked him to tell you everything he hates about politics.

My father's Oldsmobile is a Viking Blue 1971 442 W30 convertible. He's the original owner. He walked into a dealership in Montreal and plunked down $5735 for the car pictured here sitting on the showroom floor. Apparently he loved the car enough never to trade it or sell it off. I don't think it even has 85,000 miles yet. He was always impressed with the quality of the cars from this era and I don't blame him. He even bought a yellow '66 442 convertible for my mother (she was foolish enough to trade it in on........ a Pacer.....that's a lengthy story on its own). My very first memories are of staring up at a blue sky while in the back of Mom's ragtop.

I myself have been through over half a dozen Oldsmobiles. The old man's had at least a dozen.

That is a beautiful 442 - and you are extremely lucky to still have it inthe family!

I also grew up among Oldsmobiles - though my parents favored big 98 Regencys (we had three of them). My dad was a doctor, so that may be part of the "why" (doctors supposedly liked the subtle affluence of Oldsmobiles and Buicks). I just wish he's bought a 442 like your Dad - and kept it long enough to give it to me!

Quote Originally Posted by ReasonOne

Beautiful W30 442 convertible and rare too. Your Dad was a smart man buying it and super-smart for keeping it.

About the Toronado Trofeo, I remember those cars all too well. I worked at an Olds dealer back in Summer of 1987 and they had a several new ones come in. I remember they had all the electronic/computer stuff in the dash. I liked them: very comfortable interiors (seats had good lumbar support), loaded with every convience option imaginable back in 1987, they rode well, handled well, and accelerated well with the 3.8 liter 165 horsepower V8 (the Trofeo only weighed about 3,300 lbs). I also liked the "Touring Sedan" 98 which had similiar electronics and all the special handling package and spoilers like the Trofeo.

Downside to the Trofeo was that it had a sticker of almost $30K (high $20K range) which back in 1987 was a lot of scratch. And the Toronado was about the size of Old's popular little car the Calais. And I remember for 1987 the Trofeo had a special windshield that was made out of plastic/glass combo that if you were in an accident it would not cut you. The only problem was they cracked easy, the dealer I worked at had a few demostrator Trofeos with this windshield glass get the spider web cracks due to a stone hitting them. Olds soon discontinued the special glass. I really liked the "aircraft" style console automatic shifter - neat peice!

Here's a link to some pictures of an '87 Olds Toronado Trofeo:

http://www.cbtgarage.com/trofeo/trofeo.htm

Here's a 1990 Olds 98 "Touring Sedan":

That is a beautiful 442 - and you are extremely lucky to still have it inthe family!
    He's made it clear that I'll never drive it again. I stole it to impress friends at my high school aftergrad. I even had a '71 Cutlass Supreme convertible at the time, but it was nowhere near the same machine (it was like comparing a fish stick to a filet mignon). I just HAD to drive it - once. He hasn't let me drive it since. But yes, it is a beautiful car. It can turn mid-high 13's all day. Not long ago someone offered him in the neighborhood of $70,000 for it and he was insulted.... so I presume he'll never part with it. I suspect he intends to be buried with it.

Beautiful W30 442 convertible and rare too. Your Dad was a smart man buying it and super-smart for keeping it.
    If memory serves me right there were only 110 '71 W30 ragtops made (78 were automatic) for the U.S market with maybe an additional 35 or so made for the Canadian export market. That's probably what made him one of the craftiest automotive brokers in the business. He had an eye for future collectibles. When he saw something he had a feeling about, he bought it and held it (sometimes for decades).

Well if anybody is looking for any Olds related information, I'll probably have it if my old man doesn't. At a young age I commited a lot of 64-73 Olds and 442 related information to memory. Hell, if you have a cowl tag and a VIN I could probably decipher it (I used to impress Dad's friends by committing even some of this info to memory - although I'm not nearly as accurate as I used to be). I know Oldsmobile paint code, cowl tag options, production numbers, manufacturer dates, factory prices and so on...... Scary but true. I have information on newer Oldsmobiles in several factory books and manuals so if you need access to that info I'd be happy to help.

"Well if anybody is looking for any Olds related information, I'll probably have it if my old man doesn't. At a young age I commited a lot of 64-73 Olds and 442 related information to memory. Hell, if you have a cowl tag and a VIN I could probably decipher it (I used to impress Dad's friends by committing even some of this info to memory - although I'm not nearly as accurate as I used to be). I know Oldsmobile paint code, cowl tag options, production numbers, manufacturer dates, factory prices and so on...... Scary but true. I have information on newer Oldsmobiles in several factory books and manuals so if you need access to that info I'd be happy to help."

A useful skill in my book!

I'm pretty good with second gen. Firebirds, which I have been obsessed with for 20-plus years now. Pete and I have talked about how great it would be to time-travel back to the early-mid '70s with oh, $30,000 and buy 5-6 of our favorite '70s-era Trans-Ams (and Formulas). I'd want a pair of '76 TAs, one Carousel Red, the other Goldenrod Yellow - both with the 455/4-speed combo. Plus a Brewster Green '73 SD-455 Formula, a loaded '77 W72 T/A 6.6 SE (black and gold). I'd probably still have about $10k to spend at this point - enough to just about pay for a '79 10th Anniversary TA, or maybe an '80 Turbo NASCAR pace car....

Aw, c'mon, not at least one before they ruined the styling with the 5mph bumpers and fishbowl rear window?

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Aw, c'mon, not at least one before they ruined the styling with the 5mph bumpers and fishbowl rear window?
    I actually prefer the larger glass on the '75-81 cars; as for the 5 mph bumpers, one of the things I like about the second gen. Firebird is that Pontiac stylists managed to keep the car's looks even after the new regs. went into effect. The only years that are a bit clumsy-looking (in my opinion) are the '74-'75s. By '76, they had sorted out the shape and I think the sleek/shovelnose front was very distinctive; the tail section/light treatment was also very good (and carried through essentially unchanged until the 1979 re-style). I also like the '70-73 shape (especially the Formula - which I thought looked better than the Trans-Am those years) but I am not a fan of the limited color palatte that was offered the first few years - when the TA was only available in blue over white or white over blue. Just a subjective opinion on that, though. However, I would argue that the '76-up tail-lights and rear end were more attractive than the early style with the smaller tail-lights and bumperettes. And the '79-'81 "single piece" (and blacked-out) tail-light looked really cool and was highly innovative. (Pontiac also used red-backlighting for the gauges on the '79 10th Anniversary TA; very unusual then; routinely copied today).

Rider658

Oddly enough, the 1966 Toronado WAS my Dad's Oldsmobile and it was what I learned to drive in the foothills above Fresno, CA. For a 16-17 year old this was a fantastically cool car to be able to take out for a date or just a spin past the other guys. I loved that car and often wished I'd been able to keep it after my Dad passed but due to my being in the service, my brother got it.

My nephew now owns my Dad's Toronado and he has decided to try to restore it. Unfortunately, it sat neglected in my brothers yard for ages and will be a big task to bring it back. However, I plan to help and look forward to the day it rolls back down the road.

Anyone having good part source suggestions will do me a great favor by passing them along. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rider658
    Oddly enough, the 1966 Toronado WAS my Dad's Oldsmobile and it was what I learned to drive in the foothills above Fresno, CA. For a 16-17 year old this was a fantastically cool car to be able to take out for a date or just a spin past the other guys. I loved that car and often wished I'd been able to keep it after my Dad passed but due to my being in the service, my brother got it.

My nephew now owns my Dad's Toronado and he has decided to try to restore it. Unfortunately, it sat neglected in my brothers yard for ages and will be a big task to bring it back. However, I plan to help and look forward to the day it rolls back down the road.

Anyone having good part source suggestions will do me a great favor by passing them along. Thanks!
    Hi Rider,

Welcome to the site, first of all!

Man - you are lucky to have learned to drive on such a neat car. ;D

As far as parts sources - have you tried Year One http://www.yearone.com/ and Classic Industries http://www.classicindustries.com/ ? Another source - both for new parts and used parts as well as references for places/people who might have parts is Hemmings Motor News....

Rider658,

Great story, everyone I talk to who owned one of these Toronados has nothing but great things to say about them.

Glad to hear your Dad's Toronado is going to be restored. My suggestions is that you do the following to find parts:

1) YearOne - great selection of parts: be sure to download online their 1964 - 1988 Oldsmobile parts catalog - http://www.yearone.com/

2) Hook up with a local Oldsmobile club in your area, you will find some good contacts within a club like this to find the parts you need.

3) Ebay, ebay.com - can't begin to tell you how many rare old parts I found on ebay that I needed.

4) GM or other cars shows with lots of old parts for sale or trade. Carlisle shows are great sources for hard to come by parts: http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/ce/index.asp

5) Classic Oldsmobile forum boards - here's a list of different Oldsmobile links: http://www.amwmag.com/NO/Oldsmobile_...ile_world.html

6) Visit your local junkyard, since a lot of parts on the Toronado were interchangeable with other Oldsmobiles of that vintage, if you need certain parts you may be able to find them at the junk yard off of Oldsmobiles of the same vintage.