Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tickets Moderator

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

New Tickets Moderator

Gail Morrison is stepping down as Moderator of the Tickets/Driving Issues board - due to a combination of health and work reasons. Swamprat (Henry Stowe) has generously agreed to step in and become the new Moderator of this Board. I'll leave it to him to formally introduce himself, but I did want to let everyone who has noticed Gail's absence know what's happened - and that Henry's our new go-to guy on this Board.

He's already been a huge asset to this site - and I think he'll be even more helpful now that he's here in an "official" capacity.

Thanks, Henry - we're glad to have you!

Also: Those of you who want to send Gail a note may do so at GLOCKS2@aol.com; Gail will still be a member and participate when she can. While things got a little heated sometimes, she brought a lot of traffic to the site - and her hard work was - and always will be - appreciated.

Staff

Re: New Tickets Moderator

Thanks Eric. As always, I am glad to be here.

At present, I am taking on the battle against Red Light Cameras here in Florida. If they are allowed, it will be the beginning of a slippery slope of more idiotic schemes to remove money from people's wallets. That's my view. What say you?

Later this week, I will report on the trip to Tallahassee.

DonTom

"If they are allowed, it will be the beginning of a slippery slope of more idiotic schemes to remove money from people's wallets. That's my view. What say you?"

Here in San Francisco, accidents from blowing red lights are now less than half from what they used to be before the cameras. The money you save can help pay for your funeral.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Thanks Eric. As always, I am glad to be here.

At present, I am taking on the battle against Red Light Cameras here in Florida. If they are allowed, it will be the beginning of a slippery slope of more idiotic schemes to remove money from people's wallets. That's my view. What say you?

Later this week, I will report on the trip to Tallahassee.
    You bet!

On cameras:

It's been shown in several instances that when the red light cameras were put up, the yellow interval was decreased (and the cameras timed) so as to maximize the number of tickets issued - and thus, revenue generated. It's also been shown that properly timing the lights (especially yellow intervals) can be very effective at reducing inadvertent red light running. As for the drivers who run lights deliberately, I'd much rather police be tasked with that than lurking in speed traps issuing tickets to people for going a few MPH faster than an under-posted limit.

congratulations, and welcome!
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

DonTom

"It's been shown in several instances that when the red light cameras were put up, the yellow interval was decreased (and the cameras timed) so as to maximize the number of tickets issued"

Can you show evidence of just one such instance?

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "It's been shown in several instances that when the red light cameras were put up, the yellow interval was decreased (and the cameras timed) so as to maximize the number of tickets issued"

Can you show evidence of just one such instance?

-Don-
    Yes; have you not followed this issue? There were legal challenges resulting in tickets being thrown out en masse for this reason (and others, including the "revenue enhancement" aspects).

"When the city of Mesa, Arizona, added about a second of yellow time to traffic lights at several intersections, there was a 73 percent reduction in red light entries-- and a major drop in accidents. The city subsequently ditched the automated cameras it has used previously to monitor intersection and send out automated tickets for red light running."

Etc.

Similar cases in Va and elsewhere....

DonTom

"Yes; have you not followed this issue? "

Not in AZ! Just here in the SF area where nobody (AFAIK) complains about them. I see no reason for them to change anything just because they put in a camera. I would like to hear the city's side of that!

No doubt that longer yellow lights reduce red light violators. But I see no reason for the change in yellow light time just because a camera was installed unless the city is looking for ways to make money. That will make me wonder where the order for the change came from and why.

-Don-

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "Yes; have you not followed this issue? "

Not in AZ! Just here in the SF area where nobody (AFAIK) complains about them. I see no reason for them to change anything just because they put in a camera. I would like to hear the city's side of that!

No doubt that longer yellow lights reduce red light violators. But I see no reason for the change in yellow light time just because a camera was installed unless the city is looking for ways to make money. That will make me wonder where the order for the change came from and why.

-Don-
    No one complains about them because very few people actually run red lights anyway. In Orlando, FL, red light runners amount to about 3 percent of the driving population through most intersections. That number is actually quite high, but not enough to make a big difference. Cameras are not prevelent enough at this point to generate much public interest....

Contrast that with speed limits, where up to 80 percent of the population exceeds them at any time.

Cities have been caught manipulating yellow light time and some have been changing camera trip thresholds in order to maximize revenue. This has happened in San Diego and in Richland Hills, TX.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Gail Morrison is stepping down as Moderator of the Tickets/Driving Issues board - due to a combination of health and work reasons. Swamprat (Henry Stowe) has generously agreed to step in and become the new Moderator of this Board. I'll leave it to him to formally introduce himself, but I did want to let everyone who has noticed Gail's absence know what's happened - and that Henry's our new go-to guy on this Board.

He's already been a huge asset to this site - and I think he'll be even more helpful now that he's here in an "official" capacity.

Also: Those of you who want to send Gail a note may do so at GLOCKS2@aol.com; Gail will still be a member and participate when she can. While things got a little heated sometimes, she brought a lot of traffic to the site - and her hard work was - and always will be - appreciated.
    Hey! Where are all my fan mail? Only one. Is that anyway to treat the dimpled darling? ???

Quote Originally Posted by gail

Hey! Where are all my fan mail? Only one. Is that anyway to treat the dimpled darling? ???
    We is all here!

And just think; in about a year, we'll have The Hildebeast to discuss as opposed to The Chimp!

gail

We is all here!

And just think; in about a year, we'll have The Hildebeast to discuss as opposed to The Chimp!
    If that comes to be, you will once again have me on your side of the table. But if the POWERS-to-be chose her, I'll hold my tongue and pray a lot for her wisdom. In the meanwhile I'll keep plugging away for Mitt. BTW Ron Paul didn't do that well in the Debates, why do you suppose?

" BTW Ron Paul didn't do that well in the Debates, why do you suppose?"

That wasn't my impression; I thought he did rather well - and he beat Rudy Mussolini and Fred "the corpse" Thompson in Michigan and elswhere, despite a virtual media blackout...

Staff

We is all here!

If that comes to be, you will once again have me on your side of the table. But if the POWERS-to-be chose her, I'll hold my tongue and pray a lot for her wisdom. In the meanwhile I'll keep plugging away for Mitt. BTW Ron Paul didn't do that well in the Debates, why do you suppose?
    I am a Ron Paul supporter, although a tepid one. Here's why. The debate has shifted to the economy and he has not discussed the trade issue at all except to say he was opposed to NAFTA and the WTO. The fact is that the corporate exodus began in the 1950's accelerated a little in the late 1960's and started really moving in the 1970's. We started recognizing it after the 1982 recession and really feel the pinch now. Ron Paul doesn't talk about it.

If he did, he'd have a 70kg stick of dynamite to throw at the rest of those bumbling idiots. He's an avid fan of the constitution but doesn't recognize that it allows for tariffs, duties and imposts.

I am still voting for Dr. Paul, but frankly he doesn't have a message that connects with the average dumbed down TV watching boob.

Staff

That wasn't my impression; I thought he did rather well - and he beat Rudy Mussolini and Fred "the corpse" Thompson in Michigan and elswhere, despite a virtual media blackout...
    Hopefully Rudy Mussolini will be through when I cast my vote here in Florida.

gail

Is Ron Paul on your ballot? I did read up on him, but I have now forgotten what it was that made me feel that he wouldn't be a good president. Nothing personally, just politically.

<< am still voting for Dr. Paul, but frankly he doesn't have a message that connects with the average dumbed down TV watching boob.>>
    While I have boobs, I don't let them make my decisions.

D_E_Davis

That's a very pessimistic view - she hasn't trounced Mr. Obama as yet.

D_E_Davis

With Thompson now gone perhaps Rudy will read the handwriting on the wall.

"Is Ron Paul on your ballot? I did read up on him, but I have now forgotten what it was that made me feel that he wouldn't be a good president. Nothing personally, just politically."

He is on the ballot in VA - and I will vote for him for certain. It may be the only vote I cast in 2008 - as I cannot and will not "choose" between the Hildebeast and that tool McCain.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    With Thompson now gone perhaps Rudy will read the handwriting on the wall.

The conventional wisdom is that Rudy will bow out if he loses Florida...

Good riddance. But the remaining alternatives are not much better.

McCain's stance on the war, his support for Bush - and his amnesty for illegals push - completely alienated me.

Huckabee? The idea of an ordained religious leader as president - particularly one who believes in "young Earth" creationism and denies evolution, etc. - really frightens me. It seems we're headed to a new Dark Ages with an ascendant anti-intellectualism that puts "belief" and "faith" above reason and fact. I'm sorry - but anyone who believes the Earth is 6,000 years old and that man walked with dinosaurs, etc. is someone who should be kept far away from dangerous machinery... .

Romney? A cipher. He seems to change position daily, depending on the audience and the issue. I am not keen on his Mormonism - but the larger issue is he's not going to dismantle some of the egregious excesses of the Bush years - such as the "Patriot" Act - or adopt a sane foreign policy - etc.

So if it's one of those three clowns on the GOP side - and the Hildebeast on the other - I'm gonna stay home.