Thread: At last - a ride.

At last - a ride.

Woke up to a cold but sunny day. Diane not too well so prepared a nice Mediterranean Lamb pot roast and put it in the cook-pot to slow cook for about nine hours. As we stood in the kitchen, it was now about one o'clock I commented 'What a change to see such a glorious day' Diane's reply, 'Why don't you go for a run on the bike.' I had to think hard for, Oh, two milliseconds before I went out and 'prepped' the Honda and wheeled her out to the front of the property. Booted and suited I kissed the cat, patted Diane on the head and set off. It is a good few weeks since I was on the bike and I was, as I thought I would be a bit rusty. I set off (details for the Google Earth experts) from Woodhall Spa, along the Horncastle Road to, naturally Horncastle. Straight across at the lights through the town centre and onto the A153. Now the road opens up and I can use a bit more speed - not too fast, there could be police, fuzz, bear, call them what you will, round any bend, 80 seems about right. Up to Cadwell Park raceway, nothing going on there so carry on up to the A16. Turn left onto the '16, up to the next roundabout and hang left onto the A631, heading towards Market Rasen, up to 90 here and there but still being past by riders who are obviously already tuned in. South Willingham Woods, a little parking area with a small cafe, much loved by bikers. Pulled in for a hot Mocha and a chat with some of the goods guys, got chatting with a chap on a Pan European, 'In any clubs?' he asked 'Wolds Bikers' I replied. Slight pause, 'So am I' he said and we laughed as neither of us recognized the other. Bikes viewed and legs stretched, helmet and gloves on again and off to Market Rasen. Turn left at the cross-roads, and head down the B1202 towards Wragby, some nice flowing bends here. Across the cross-roads at Wragby, still on the B1202 heading through the twisties down to Bardney. Call in to my Bro's for a quick cup of tea and then onto the B1190 from Bardney towards Woodhall Spa, turning off onto a local road via Bucknall and Stixwould, lovely narrow winding roads with some treacherous bends waiting to catch the unwary. Not a long trip, probably no more than 70 odd miles and about an hour and a bit riding time - but - a grin from ear to ear and the feeling that, at last after weeks of being housebound, I had come alive again. When I got indoors there was a warm smell of slow cooking lamb making the taste buds tingle and, as soon at the bike was safely put away and securely locked up, a welcome cup of coffee was waiting for me.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

And my ride today

Ken and all,

Sort of an odd trip report for today. Temp, 34F, clear and cold, heated jacket and grips full bore. Took out my "new" bike, the 98 Honda VFR Interceptor --- hard to believe it's ten years old.

Went south to tiny Willis, VA (in the Decider's home county of Floyd) to meet members of my local club, Twin Valley Riders for breakfast. We were to try a new cafe, Dino's Hillbilly Greek Cafe.

I got to the Café early, so I tooled into Floyd where the group of five (lessee, it was Paul, Fritz, Jason, Chris, and Brennan if my memory still works), passed going the other way. I ?U?d? and followed them back to Willis. The restaurant was closed when we arrived, with conflicting signs in the window about the actual opening time. In the midst of standing around in the cold for a few minutes, a decision was made to return to Floyd and seek appropriate victuals there.

As the group was re-helmeting, the owner, Dino, arrived and proceeded to open the place. The group was too impatient to wait the ten minutes or so needed to get the coffee going, and left. For reasons even inexplicable to myself, I decided to hang around. I had a hot chocolate in my hands within five minutes. The cafe has 5 tables.

At this point, dining alone, I fell into conversation with a grizzled couple from nearby. He was an expatriate from New York, circa 1970?s and she from the White Mountains of New Hampshire. We inevitably talked about jobs and hobbies and histories. He sold popcorn on the Renaissance Fair circuit and worked with horse-drawn timbering. We also spoke with a big ole farm boy dining nearby, who grows beef cows in the Willis area. He mentioned that at today?s energy prices, he?s spending $3600 per year for gasoline and diesel. Did you know that cows grown in Floyd typically travel to Colorado for slaughter, then may come all the way back as packaged meat? You talk with other folks at country cafes. Good stuff. Slices of life.

Breakfast was tasty and reasonable, $5.25 for the aforementioned hot chocolate, an egg, 3 sausages, toast (rye, for which I was charged an extra $0.50), and hash browns. Service was quick and friendly. The diner is new and the schedule hasn?t really been solidified yet. The waitress who arrived shortly after I did said that on some days, they sit for hours between customers, thus the fluctuating schedule.

All in all, nice place. I think they deserve another chance for the ?pleasure? of our patronage and promised if we called ahead they?d accommodate us.

I rode back through Indian Valley, Copper Valley, Childress, Plum Creek, Prices Fork, and Merrimac. It got warm enough to turn down the heated grips. Lots of scenery as always, some gravel on the road, and way too much salt on the roads to melt the previous week's snow and ice. 105 miles, 3 gallons of precious gasoline, $9.00.

Y'all Ride safe.

Michael

Re: And my ride today

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    Ken and all,

Sort of an odd trip report for today. Temp, 34F, clear and cold, heated jacket and grips full bore. Took out my "new" bike, the 98 Honda VFR Interceptor --- hard to believe it's ten years old.

Went south to tiny Willis, VA (in the Decider's home county of Floyd) to meet members of my local club, Twin Valley Riders for breakfast. We were to try a new cafe, Dino's Hillbilly Greek Cafe.

I got to the Café early, so I tooled into Floyd where the group of five (lessee, it was Paul, Fritz, Jason, Chris, and Brennan if my memory still works), passed going the other way. I ?U?d? and followed them back to Willis. The restaurant was closed when we arrived, with conflicting signs in the window about the actual opening time. In the midst of standing around in the cold for a few minutes, a decision was made to return to Floyd and seek appropriate victuals there.

As the group was re-helmeting, the owner, Dino, arrived and proceeded to open the place. The group was too impatient to wait the ten minutes or so needed to get the coffee going, and left. For reasons even inexplicable to myself, I decided to hang around. I had a hot chocolate in my hands within five minutes. The cafe has 5 tables.

At this point, dining alone, I fell into conversation with a grizzled couple from nearby. He was an expatriate from New York, circa 1970?s and she from the White Mountains of New Hampshire. We inevitably talked about jobs and hobbies and histories. He sold popcorn on the Renaissance Fair circuit and worked with horse-drawn timbering. We also spoke with a big ole farm boy dining nearby, who grows beef cows in the Willis area. He mentioned that at today?s energy prices, he?s spending $3600 per year for gasoline and diesel. Did you know that cows grown in Floyd typically travel to Colorado for slaughter, then may come all the way back as packaged meat? You talk with other folks at country cafes. Good stuff. Slices of life.

Breakfast was tasty and reasonable, $5.25 for the aforementioned hot chocolate, an egg, 3 sausages, toast (rye, for which I was charged an extra $0.50), and hash browns. Service was quick and friendly. The diner is new and the schedule hasn?t really been solidified yet. The waitress who arrived shortly after I did said that on some days, they sit for hours between customers, thus the fluctuating schedule.

All in all, nice place. I think they deserve another chance for the ?pleasure? of our patronage and promised if we called ahead they?d accommodate us.

I rode back through Indian Valley, Copper Valley, Childress, Plum Creek, Prices Fork, and Merrimac. It got warm enough to turn down the heated grips. Lots of scenery as always, some gravel on the road, and way too much salt on the roads to melt the previous week's snow and ice. 105 miles, 3 gallons of precious gasoline, $9.00.

Y'all Ride safe.

Michael
    Hey Michael,

Nice report, made me feel like I was there, the breakfast sounded good - proper biker food. My ride used about one and a half at, roughly, $13.50 (£4.86 a gallon UK, roughly $9 a gallon US), I would love to be able to buy gas at the prices you guys pay. I must give the CBR6 a clean and polish later on ready for the next ride, at least all the rain we have had recently has washed the salt off the roads. The new club riding season starts in a few weeks time and, as a lead rider, I need to be up to scratch well before I lead a club group on a run.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: At last - a ride.

.... and here I am, a virtual prisoner - restrained by ice and cold, thwarted by sand and gravel... in need of new tires!

I am thinking more and more of acquiring a beater bike; something that's just for ordinary riding in crap weather; not high-perf. - just to keep on two wheels during the "off" season (we have fairly harsh winters here in SW Virginia).
    I do have a dual sport, but it's set up for the dirt with not-DOT legal tires and besides, the thing's only a one-lunger and while it's fine on secondary roads, once speeds get to 55 or more it begins to get on the ragged side. "I'm givin' her all she's got, cap'n! The engines willna take any more!"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    .... and here I am, a virtual prisoner - restrained by ice and cold, thwarted by sand and gravel... in need of new tires!

I am thinking more and more of acquiring a beater bike; something that's just for ordinary riding in crap weather; not high-perf. - just to keep on two wheels during the "off" season (we have fairly harsh winters here in SW Virginia).
    I do have a dual sport, but it's set up for the dirt with not-DOT legal tires and besides, the thing's only a one-lunger and while it's fine on secondary roads, once speeds get to 55 or more it begins to get on the ragged side. "I'm givin' her all she's got, cap'n! The engines willna take any more!"

I've got the new tyres, I'd just like the opportunity to scrub them in properly. We are back to rain, snow, sleet and gale force winds.

A beater bike, what we would call a 'rat bike' is something I'd really like to get hold of. Something like a Honda Bros or a Suzi 500 twin would fit the bill nicely. Trouble is I don't have anywhere to keep a second bike and Diane thinks that one at a time is enough. What she means is she worries if I am out in rough conditions. I know for a fact that she is nervous if I am out on the bike on my own rather than with the club and would worry herself stiff if I was out in snowy/icy/foggy conditions.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

"I've got the new tyres, I'd just like the opportunity to scrub them in properly. We are back to rain, snow, sleet and gale force winds."

Same here - only no new tires yet. Gotta get that dealt with ASAP as it will be warm in a few weeks... and then everyone will be at the shop, standing in line.

"A beater bike, what we would call a 'rat bike' is something I'd really like to get hold of. Something like a Honda Bros or a Suzi 500 twin would fit the bill nicely. Trouble is I don't have anywhere to keep a second bike and Diane thinks that one at a time is enough. What she means is she worries if I am out in rough conditions. I know for a fact that she is nervous if I am out on the bike on my own rather than with the club and would worry herself stiff if I was out in snowy/icy/foggy conditions."

I used to have an old CB550 Nighthawk; liked it a lot. I also like the more powerful (and more aggressive) Nighthawk S 650 from the same era (mid-late '80s). These bikes are dirt cheap and being Hondas very durable...