Thread: Backing a trailer

Backing a trailer

Yesterday I saw my neighbor trying to back a trailer into his garage. Personally, I like to mount a ball hitch on the front bumper and just nose it in. However, I gave him a little tip that I'll now pass along to someone just getting their own trailer.

The hardest part of backing a trailer is getting it to go the correct direction. They always seem to want to go the wrong way. Since most vehicles today have power steering, use one hand. Put that hand on the [i]bottom[i] of the steering wheel. Now, when you want the trailer to go right, move your hand to the right. It takes just a few minutes to get the hang of it and you can slip that trailer where you want, when you want. You can still back over things if you aren't careful but the trailer will go where you put it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Re: Backing a trailer

Ever tried backing a four-wheel trailer?

In between leaving school & starting my first job I worked on the farm my dad worked on, helping with the wheat harvest. My job was to drive alongside the combine with a grain trailer, into which the grain tank on the combine was emptied, drive to the grain drier, where my dad was working, drop the full trailer off & pick up an empty one. After a few days of this, my dad decided that I was ready to move the trailers into & out of the loading dock, which was only a few inches wider than the trailer.

Oh, what fun we had!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    Ever tried backing a four-wheel trailer?

In between leaving school & starting my first job I worked on the farm my dad worked on, helping with the wheat harvest. My job was to drive alongside the combine with a grain trailer, into which the grain tank on the combine was emptied, drive to the grain drier, where my dad was working, drop the full trailer off & pick up an empty one. After a few days of this, my dad decided that I was ready to move the trailers into & out of the loading dock, which was only a few inches wider than the trailer.

Oh, what fun we had!

When I ran a salvage yard, we had the contract with the city to tow abandoned vehicles. Front piviot trailers are a lot of fun. The worst was a small semi tractor trailer comination we had to tow. Everything had to stay together in case the owner reclaimed it. With our set up, you have the sling pivot, the fifth wheel pivot and a spread axle trailer that had it's own mind about where it wanted to go. In the end, we ended up with the trailer and it's contents as the company wasn't paying the drivers and the one with this parked it and hitchhiked home. The company went belly up.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

After being on 2 different water search & rescue teams since 2000; I have learned quite of bit about towing a boat & backing a trailer. I am the Ex-Commander for the team I am on now & have been with them for the past 4 years. We have two ambulances (one being the Type III Box style & the other being the Type II Van style). We tow our boats using those ambulances. That is not always the easiest of a task to back in to some of the marina's we have to set in at & it does tend to require quite a bit of knowledge about backing a trailer. It is still amazing to me of watching some people try and back a trailer; and not be able to back one up if their life depended upon it. Anyways; I am posting here to give one tip that alot of people tend to make a big deal out of & still not learn it. It does not take much to turn a trailer when backing. Use the general rule of 1 inch of steering wheel movement equal 1 foot of trailer movement. If you don't know how to back a trailer; do it on an empty parking lot or something before you try to do it in a congested area. I'm constantly cracking a gut laughing at those idiots trying to back a small trailer in to their driveway & no matter what they do they keep jack knifing it & they finally give up, unhook the trailer & push it by hand where they want it, LMAO.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel