Thread: A question, why bathe...........

A question, why bathe...........

..........your motorcycle or car when you don't need to? I haven't washed my motorcycle with water in 6 or 7 years. I use Lemon Pledge furniture polish. You can get either a spray can or a spritz bottle. More for the money with the bottle but harder to find. Make sure you use a cotton cloth, like an old T shirt. Paper towels are pounded wood pulp and not suitable. An old t shirt and about 20 minutes with Lemon Pledge and that bike will shine. I've used it on the front end of cars and trucks too.

I tried the Orange Pledge but it left a rather nasty looking film rather than shine like Lemon. The first time you use it, you'll have to use a lot of elbow grease but after that, bugs come right off with a little more Pledge and a cotton towel. It also makes your bike smell kissy sweet. ;D I especially like the way spilled soft drinks roll right off. One caveate though, DO NOT use it on the motorcycle seat. The finsh after you use it is really slick.

Now, what did you think I meant when I said not to bathe?
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: A question, why bathe...........

Quote Originally Posted by grouch
    ..........your motorcycle or car when you don't need to? I haven't washed my motorcycle with water in 6 or 7 years. I use Lemon Pledge furniture polish. You can get either a spray can or a spritz bottle. More for the money with the bottle but harder to find. Make sure you use a cotton cloth, like an old T shirt. Paper towels are pounded wood pulp and not suitable. An old t shirt and about 20 minutes with Lemon Pledge and that bike will shine. I've used it on the front end of cars and trucks too.

I tried the Orange Pledge but it left a rather nasty looking film rather than shine like Lemon. The first time you use it, you'll have to use a lot of elbow grease but after that, bugs come right off with a little more Pledge and a cotton towel. It also makes your bike smell kissy sweet. ;D I especially like the way spilled soft drinks roll right off. One caveate though, DO NOT use it on the motorcycle seat. The finsh after you use it is really slick.

I also try to avoid washing my antique car (and bikes) with running water to the extent possible. The moisture, of course, accelerates corrosion and also may have contaminants in it that can eat away at finishes, etc. I use Honda spray detailer; the stuff is really great.

I wash the Trans-Am maybe once a year - and "air dry" it immediately after the wipe down by driving it for about 20 minutes. Then I go back and detail it thoroughly....

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

Hm?, I guess I'm the opposite. I tend to wash my bike down every time I use it. The plastics are protected by a two part protective polish which allows the bugs to slide off when the bike is lightly sprayed with water. I use a power washer that can generate a fairly fine mist that is ideal for washing off a bike. For cleaning, degreasing and post ride polish I use the Auto Glym products and swear by them. My car usually (If it isn't cold, raining, snowing, too windy) gets washed about once a week or so. I must admit, however, it only gets polished a couple of times a year.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

What were you folks thinking when you saw the name of the topic? ;D
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Here was my first thought: