Thread: Ever find a rare car in an old barn?

Ever find a rare car in an old barn?

GOOD GRIEF, you gotta see THIS!

http://www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm

A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

DonTom

Re: Ever find a rare car in an old barn?

I see most of the cars in that barn are very dusty. What's the story on that?

-Don-

That's in Portugal. Fairly old story now.

I particularly like the selection of Lancias.

I saw another one where someone found a barn full of NSU Ro80s in a barn in, I think, The Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    I see most of the cars in that barn are very dusty. What's the story on that?

-Don-
    It looks as though someone hated cars and decided to buy them all up and hide them. I'd love to get my hands on the Mini Coopers, the Lotus Seven and one (or several) of the BMW Racers.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

My story's not as "big" - but still:

Years ago, in the early-mid '80s, I had a friend who lived in McLean, Va. One day, while driving to his house, my "car-dar" went off and I threw the car in reverse to go back and check on something I'd caught a glimpse of sitting on the concrete pad outside of a small house. It was a red Trans-Am. And not just any red Trans-Am. It was, it turned out, a Buccaneer Red 1974 SD-455 Trans-Am, one of the most collectible/rare (and powerful) Pontiacs ever made. But at this time and place, it was just a beat up old car with slightly rusty quarters, sagging shocks, mismatched wheels and in need of a ring job. A decent driver - but still. Price? As I recall the guy wanted $3,500 for it. Which of course, I at the time did not have - in addition to not having the foresight to buy it by any means available to me.

Today, this car is worth at least $50k in restored condition.

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/1110

From what this guy was able to find out, the barn is indeed in Portugal, and is owned by a former auto dealer, who would buy the "interesting" cars that came through his lot.

I'm disappointed that he isn't taking better care of them -- being covered in dust & bird poop is not good for the paint.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

I don't get why someone would go the trouble of acquiring - and storing - all these cars - without at least putting covers on them. These cars all appear to be severely weathered/dry rotted - and probably rusty, too - as I doubt that barn was climate controlled. I bet also that mice and so on have shredded the interiors/wiring and so on. Wanna bet they were stored with untreated fuel? Half-full tanks? And that no preservation steps were taken to protect the engines, etc?

Most of these cars probably need full-on restos before they could be used again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken

It looks as though someone hated cars and decided to buy them all up and hide them. I'd love to get my hands on the Mini Coopers, the Lotus Seven and one (or several) of the BMW Racers.

There was a story in the auto press about 20-30 years ago about a fellow who had a barn full of Vincent motorcycles, and some other rare Brit bikes as well. He had died and the estate was being picked over.

Turns out that in the early 1950s this fellow's son had been killed on a Vincent after coming home from Korea, and he decided that they were dangerous and decided to take them all off the road, one at a time. His barn was stuffed to the rafters with them.

I think this was in rural California somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken

There was a story in the auto press about 20-30 years ago about a fellow who had a barn full of Vincent motorcycles, and some other rare Brit bikes as well. He had died and the estate was being picked over.

Turns out that in the early 1950s this fellow's son had been killed on a Vincent after coming home from Korea, and he decided that they were dangerous and decided to take them all off the road, one at a time. His barn was stuffed to the rafters with them.

I think this was in rural California somewhere.

So maybe I wasn't too far off the mark after all. <LOL>

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

I pass a paddock quite often where a rather eccentric man has filled it with cars; I bought a lot of bits off him for my 1957 Jag.

He had Alivis, Jowett and all knids of obscure Hillmans and a few Jags. Went past a couple of days ago, the paddock is still full. His sirname is Anson. Old West Coast Road. Canterbury, NZ. Blink and you miss it, with high hedges.
    I don't think he does phone, and is eecentric enough to carry, for the candian geese pests.. He like me though, in my wheelchair. I even got to see inside the house of 1979... which had newspapers piled high all yellow on either side of the hallway.
    I think some of the locals tried to burn him down (fascists!) but the cars are still there.

When working on a farm in Sweden I found a collection of about 20 BMW's of varying ages. ...but models included the Issetta which I remember from back in NZ. ....friends of my parents had one.
    BUT the two that would be classics were the 3.0CSL ( a lightened car with aluminium panels)
    and a BMW 328 look alike the Eisenach..... so named because the factory came under the Soviets after WW2

Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia