Thread: Rob's misplaced Grouch post!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Rob's misplaced Grouch post!

(copied from Motor Mouth)

It's a part of a story...

Firemen from the Western had mostly hard Welsh coal.

As they waited to back into the number three platform, one eye on the ground signals, their A3 was 'Papyrus', which was ex-works at Doncaster.
    The boss thought he was doing the driver a favour; it had been very tricky in the middle of the night to get her straight off a non-stopper from Doncaster, where she had taken overwithout a passenger stop from a sick A4 ... when it arrived in London it was on time, late evening, but there was no fire left;
    In the cold morning air the fireman was already on board, he climbled up..

They looked at each other,
    He smiled, "Swindon eh?" and looked easily in the dim cab light 140lbs and smiled straight off Doncaster fresh and new, he saw that the fireman had raked the fire, an unpleasant thing not exactly common with the ambitious young ones..., "what do you reckon we can make of this b****d?
    "You're the boss" sad the fireman,

"Build a bit in the centre when I say. What do you think of the coal?"
    "nnnn not sure"
    "OK what engines you like?"
    "Done a bit on 'Castles'"

Which was like saying, "I can do anything" for some...

Well he must have been a stroppy guy because he had the blower on before anything could be said and they got ground signal in fog and backed up gingerly an grey mist, pressure was now 200lbs/sq in and 'Papyrus' was now dripping with condensation over it's new paint, snaking vibrating and fainlty rattling on the pointwork over the King's Cross station throat, men in blue boilerjackets with flags were waving and there was the first sun breaking the mist.
    As the fireman opened the firedoor four more trains left into Holloway tunnel, and the driver had a look, the 'new' fireman stood back, and said something about "f...ing nazis" as he smiled at someone he recognized... then, "whaddaya think?" ...looking at the fire.

Have a look and see what you reckon". He nodded towards the pile of coal ... it looked pretty poor.

They got away 4 minutes late, 2 cars over, and the Holloway was negotiated mostly with sanding, 35% cuttoff and we were doing maybe 20mpg 1 mile out. The fireman seemed to pretty good at predicting the signals and just said. "green"... by the time we got to Hadley Wood several miles ouit still upgrade we were down to under 200lbs again and still late and overloaed and got yellows, and the fireman without much encouragement was upon the tender looking at 60mph for decent hard coal.
    The best stuff was on the bottom, left from Doncaster, but it didn't last long.

He was covered in soot, the driver mouthed "sorry"..

So that was a lesson for the GWR fireman; how to 'pull around' a fire with indifferent coal and because of delays were allowed to give 'Papyrus' her head eventually, we got some downhill where we could have gone very fast but it wouldn't have helped the fire so the driver kept the train at 80-85mph., it was tempting to let "Papyrus" go for a short time and be absolutely on time, she was riding beautifully and sure enough there were yellows and then we had to run easily to the crew change; and the driver gave the crew for Edinburugh a good fire but we saved a bit of the good coal.
    That GWR fireman was good, he understood it, but he was ambtious,ended up with a wife and kids working the last A4s in Scotland after a stint on the Somersert and Dorset,

addicted to engines really going full-out, I think

Re: Rob's misplaced Grouch post!

Ah it seems when I start a speech, people quite understandibly sigh... I think what set me off was Ken talking about his very fast BMC Mini engines.

Perhaps like Dave Brand he has no empathy for British Railways steam engineering and driving of the 1950s-early 60s..

you can leave me in the corner mumbling to myself, much of my energy over the last year or two has been modelling and photographing those trains, having been part of the real thing being 1950.

I'm sure there some BR steam-era drivers and firemen, and fitters and workshop apprentices who also built and raced cars,

...no problem with Bentleys or Stanleys!

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Ah it seems when I start a speech, people quite understandably sigh... I think what set me off was Ken talking about his very fast BMC Mini engines.

Perhaps like Dave Brand he has no empathy for British Railways steam engineering and driving of the 1950s-early 60s..

you can leave me in the corner mumbling to myself, much of my energy over the last year or two has been modelling and photographing those trains, having been part of the real thing being 1950.

I'm sure there some BR steam-era drivers and firemen, and fitters and workshop apprentices who also built and raced cars,

...no problem with Bentleys or Stanleys!
    There is nothing quite like the smell and sound of a steam engine whether it be a stationary engine, fairground engine, traction engine or steam locomotive, I love them all. One of my abiding memories, many, many, years ago was of standing in Whitton High Street watching the solid traffic queuing for the Twickenham Rugby Ground. Up pulled what looked like a Delahaye, a beautiful swoopy curvy sports car that really drew my attention. I couldn't hear the engine but did notice the steam curling out from under the bonnet and thought 'He has been caning that along the A316.' Then the traffic moved on and he moved off with a quiet hiss and I realized that i was looking at a steam conversion. I know that quite a few cars were converted to use the old Stanley type engines, maybe I was looking at a double classic a Delahaye/Stanley. I will never know.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    I realized that i was looking at a steam conversion. I know that quite a few cars were converted to use the old Stanley type engines, maybe I was looking at a double classic a Delahaye/Stanley. I will never know.

Ken.
    And I thought pre-war Daimlers were the ones which made steam-like exhaust,...

Bring back the sleeve valve! Thanks Ken for putting up with my diversion into obscure railway engineering.
    And let's get these Americans to accept that the 1948 XK Jag engine was all any serious driver ever needed!

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    I realized that i was looking at a steam conversion. I know that quite a few cars were converted to use the old Stanley type engines, maybe I was looking at a double classic a Delahaye/Stanley. I will never know.

Ken.
    And I thought pre-war Daimlers were the ones which made steam-like exhaust,...

Bring back the sleeve valve! Thanks Ken for putting up with my diversion into obscure railway engineering.
    And let's get these Americans to accept that the 1948 XK Jag engine was all any serious driver ever needed!
    Hm, yesterday's performance and yesterdays prices;

XK120, introduced September 1948 as two seater sports tourer only, listed at a basic price of 988, 1263 including Purchase Tax. Discontinued October 1954 to be superceded by the XK140 which, itself, was superceded by the XK150 in May 1957 at 1969. My XK120 preference was for the, later, 1951 fixed head coupe version.

Now if I could get todays performance at yesterdays prices I would be a happy bunny.

Ken.

Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

[XK120, introduced September 1948 as two seater sports tourer only, listed at a basic price of 988, 1263 including Purchase Tax. Discontinued October 1954 to be superceded by the XK140 which, itself, was superceded by the XK150 in May 1957 at 1969. My XK120 preference was for the, later, 1951 fixed head coupe version.

Now if I could get todays performance at yesterdays prices I would be a happy bunny.

Ken.
    Americans had that kind of money in 1948; about 2 years' wages for a senior engine driver. And Britain had "Export or Die" as a call..

We in NZ sold wool to Americans who were stuck in Korea, NZ bought roller-bearing steam locomotives from North British in Glasgow of which 30 were built in a few weeks, the XK 120 got more set-screws on its cam covers, and was completely re-machined from top to botton in 1954 ... the XK 140 got more weight, more chrome, and more power... by 1954 there was no US car which could stay with it, then in 1955 the first dry-liner 3.8s were tested and built and Le Mans was a terrible tragedy, them in 1957 the factory didn't directly sponsor racing, after 8 years, but still won Le Mans again in 1957 1-2-3 and then had a factory fire where the jigs for the 3.8 XKSS were lost, the 'SS' name being still unliked in the UK because of the war, but the US market didn't mind...

Then my 1957 Mk1 3.4 auto had been built just before the fire; I bought it for $1,150 or about UKPpounds 400 in 1975 at 90,000 approx recorded miles and five owners and my new young wife was NOT pleased, even though we had a near new house and 4-car garage in a good suburb, the isue was that I had not told her nor asked her about the purchase, I think...

Ah, the Jaguar! Recently a Ford and now a Chinese.... I did 80,000+ miles in that 3.4 over nine years