Thread: Projects

Projects

Okay, it seems like this topic will fly. What kind of projects does everybody here have to play with? I'm waiting for the call that my Porsche is in town. (Literally as I write this) No telling what I'll be doing. I know the belts and seals will get replaced straight away since bad mojo hits when the belts snap on an interference engine. I've got a couple of motorcycles too and everything else is just drivers.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Projects

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

Okay, it seems like this topic will fly. What kind of projects does everybody here have to play with? I'm waiting for the call that my Porsche is in town. (Literally as I write this) No telling what I'll be doing. I know the belts and seals will get replaced straight away since bad mojo hits when the belts snap on an interference engine. I've got a couple of motorcycles too and everything else is just drivers.
    I am at an impasse for the first time in years!

My Trans-Am is essentially all-new mechanically - from the engine to the entire brake system (including new stainless steel lines) to the gas tank. It could use a cosmetic re-bopp - but I kinna paint! Have to farm that out...

My Kz900 is done; rebuilt the entire engine last summer; have removed, rechromed/re-painted/polished virtually every bit of it. Nothing really left to do.

The one thing I sort of have on deck is some mod work to my '03 ZRX1200 - specifically, Ohlins rear shocks and forks - then maybe that Muzzy cam/piston kit. One hundred sixty-plus rear wheel HP!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

My Kz900 is done; rebuilt the entire engine last summer; have removed, rechromed/re-painted/polished virtually every bit of it. Nothing really left to do.

The one thing I sort of have on deck is some mod work to my '03 ZRX1200 - specifically, Ohlins rear shocks and forks - then maybe that Muzzy cam/piston kit. One hundred sixty-plus rear wheel HP!

My Kawasaki Concours is basically a Ninja 900 under the touring body. Slightly different heads and camshafts for durability. The bike was essentially unchanged from it's intro in the early 80's until early in '07. I've given more than one littler darling an attitude adjustment on it when they have that hot little 500 cc sport bike. I went from east St. Louis IL to Greyville IL once in about 90 minutes. Most of that was 2 up at 110-120. The biggest let down when I saw the Concours 14 is the dinky little tank. My Connie has the 7.5 gallon job and you have to drain one tank long before you have to fill another. :P
    Honk if you love Jesus.

I'm about halfway done with a Vox AC15 replica construction project.

Okay, it seems like this topic will fly. What kind of projects does everybody here have to play with? I
    The only upcoming project is the satellite radio in the RAV4. I put in a Sirius about a year ago and have thoughts of changing to XM when the yearly Sirius subscription runs out. It's not a big deal since the radio mount can be bolted to a cheap plastic panel if it is more or less the same plan form as the Sirius.

Then there are cassettes to burned to CD and VHS tapes to go to DVD but those are not remotely on topic.

My Kawasaki Concours is basically a Ninja 900 under the touring body. Slightly different heads and camshafts for durability. The bike was essentially unchanged from it's intro in the early 80's until early in '07. I've given more than one littler darling an attitude adjustment on it when they have that hot little 500 cc sport bike. I went from east St. Louis IL to Greyville IL once in about 90 minutes. Most of that was 2 up at 110-120. The biggest let down when I saw the Concours 14 is the dinky little tank. My Connie has the 7.5 gallon job and you have to drain one tank long before you have to fill another. :P
    Beautuful machines.

Where can you ride them? A question I have to deflect as I make my LS1 sedan into something as good as an LS2...

Nice!

A good friend has a ZZR1200; similar concept. Underneath the fairings, it's got the heart of a Ninja - and will move out smartly and even handle, in the right hands!

My dilemma,being 6ft 3, has always been finding a capable sport bike that I can ride comfortably for more than 30 minutes at a time....

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

Okay, it seems like this topic will fly. What kind of projects does everybody here have to play with? I
    The only upcoming project is the satellite radio in the RAV4. I put in a Sirius about a year ago and have thoughts of changing to XM when the yearly Sirius subscription runs out. It's not a big deal since the radio mount can be bolted to a cheap plastic panel if it is more or less the same plan form as the Sirius.

Then there are cassettes to burned to CD and VHS tapes to go to DVD but those are not remotely on topic.
    I got a portable Sirius rig for the truck; it plugs in to the power point and sticks w/a suction cup to the windshield. Easily transferable from car to car, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    I dunno. Being ever so slightly off topic never stops me, Captain. I'm interested in converting some old cassettes to CD, primarily orchestral music which I can't find on CD...

As far as my own projest is concerned, I believe I might have mentioned my LS1 Chev upgrade in passing...
    although today's project was super-detailing a model of an English Southern Railway locomotive, a subject upon which I would willingly expand.... <g>

[quote=Eric ]

Nice!

A good friend has a ZZR1200; similar concept. Underneath the fairings, it's got the heart of a Ninja - and will move out smartly and even handle, in the right hands!

My dilemma,being 6ft 3, has always been finding a capable sport bike that I can ride comfortably for more than 30 minutes at a time....

One thing about the Connies, they almost make you need to be like a Giraffe but I also have a 2000 Honda Shadow ACE Deluxe. The gals really like it but it's too cramped for me. The previous owner put all sorts of chrome and billet parts on it but my size 12 hits the billet brake pedal and rides the brake. I get on the Connie and it's like it was made for me. I'm 6 foot myself. Someone wiht slightly longer legs than me would fit right on a Connie. Shorter people can ride them and many like them but it's a large, long distance touring bike to eat up long highway miles. It can cruise comfortable at 80-100 mph but at 70, it's perfectly docile.

I'd probably swap both for a good Goldwing 1500 but I'll probably sell the Shadow as I just don't ride it much and a lot of people wanting an in town or short distance cruiser would probably want it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

One thing about the Connies, they almost make you need to be like a Giraffe but I also have a 2000 Honda Shadow ACE Deluxe. The gals really like it but it's too cramped for me. The previous owner put all sorts of chrome and billet parts on it but my size 12 hits the billet brake pedal and rides the brake. I get on the Connie and it's like it was made for me. I'm 6 foot myself. Someone wiht slightly longer legs than me would fit right on a Connie. Shorter people can ride them and many like them but it's a large, long distance touring bike to eat up long highway miles. It can cruise comfortable at 80-100 mph but at 70, it's perfectly docile.

I'd probably swap both for a good Goldwing 1500 but I'll probably sell the Shadow as I just don't ride it much and a lot of people wanting an in town or short distance cruiser would probably want it.
    I'm 5'9" and rode and raced a few bikes; I like to think with the skill of Valentino Rossi, <yeah, right!> me being all skin bone and big lungs and muscle. I raced a production 1973 Triumph Trident and enjoyed it well enough but never felt "at one" with the machine... my last bike was a '73 Daytona 500 twin which was of a type which had lapped the Isle of Man at 99mph average, and really was nice. I used rear-sets and flat A10 handlebars. No photos of this bike exist so I painted it.

I feel a bit sorry for the guys I see riding 'tourers' in sit-up style on HDs

"I feel a bit sorry for the guys I see riding 'tourers' in sit-up style on HDs"

My sense of it is they don't "get" guys like us, either!

Two often completely separate - and closed off - worlds, eh?

I feel a bit sorry for the guys who sit up when touring, but I'm also sorry for the way proper bikes cannot often be ridden legally.

JDM sent me a link to a well-filmed fast bike ride, I don't know where, and a pretty girl gets thrown by a nice bike after things get quite fast, I still cannot work out how the bike flicked her... I think something to do with rear tire... the crash is about 4 minutes in, and they were going quite fast.

http://www.youtube.com./watch?v=qvUxwHUfTbA

oops it looks like it's been blocked

sigh

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg

I feel a bit sorry for the guys who sit up when touring, but I'm also sorry for the way proper bikes cannot often be ridden legally.

JDM sent me a link to a well-filmed fast bike ride, I don't know where, and a pretty girl gets thrown by a nice bike after things get quite fast, I still cannot work out how the bike flicked her... I think something to do with rear tire... the crash is about 4 minutes in, and they were going quite fast.

oops it looks like it's been blocked

sigh
    If that's the same one that was posted earlier, she seems to have either lifted off the throttle when the back end began to slip or over-steered, causing the high side.

We were talking about it in "Two Wheels." She was making a big show of getting her knee down - as if that proved she had proper technique!
    Not only was she hanging off excessively (esp. for the street) she crossed the double yellow several times (on curves) before she crashed. She was lucky a car wasn't coming the other way.

We were talking about it in "Two Wheels." She was making a big show of getting her knee down - as if that proved she had proper technique!
    Not only was she hanging off excessively (esp. for the street) she crossed the double yellow several times (on curves) before she crashed. She was lucky a car wasn't coming the other way.
    Yes I thought she was a bit too often on painted lines but it was hard to tell from the film how close to the limit she really was. I don't have problem with people riding with so much 'body-out knee down' but preferred the Mike Hailwood style myself, tucked well in!
    It can't be easy for you at 6' 3" ! <g> And of course I never had more than about 60hp.

On a completely unrelated matter a certain female ex-partner of mine is slowly recovering from a year in hell; death of her brother, depression, and stuff, and says the girl I used to know doesn't exist any more. She is now en-projected with quilting.

"Yes I thought she was a bit too often on painted lines but it was hard to tell from the film how close to the limit she really was. I don't have problem with people riding with so much 'body-out knee down' but preferred the Mike Hailwood style myself, tucked well in!
    It can't be easy for you at 6' 3" ! <g> And of course I never had more than about 60hp."

It is! And when you tip the scales at 200 pounds, less "showy" weight shift is needed to get the bike to lean anyhow.

"On a completely unrelated matter a certain female ex-partner of mine is slowly recovering from a year in hell; death of her brother, depression, and stuff, and says the girl I used to know doesn't exist any more. She is now en-projected with quilting."

That is no easy thing; but with friends and family, "meaning" is still there and hopefully, in time she will gradually get better. Depression is rough in any case; even more so when there is real reason for it....