Thread: Old gas hawgs

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Old gas hawgs

Staff

Re: Old gas hawgs

We had a 1969 model. It was turquioise with a brown interior. It had the 400 engine, I believe.

We traded it for a 1973 AMC Hornet Sportabout with a 360, which was a rocketship in a much smaller car.

My dad actually disliked big cars. I'm not too big no them myself, although I think that they had style. Olds was at is peak in the 1968-1970 period. I miss those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    We had a 1969 model. It was turquioise with a brown interior. It had the 400 engine, I believe.

We traded it for a 1973 AMC Hornet Sportabout with a 360, which was a rocketship in a much smaller car.

My dad actually disliked big cars. I'm not too big no them myself, although I think that they had style. Olds was at is peak in the 1968-1970 period. I miss those days.
    Me also...

I am casually looking for a "driver" neat old car... ideally a VW Thing but if I found a nice old Boat I'd be very tempted!

Staff

Eric -

Get the old boat.

I can't believe that mid-late 1970s cars are now collectors items. I never thought I'd see the day.

Times have sure changed.

Eric -

Get the old boat.

I can't believe that mid-late 1970s cars are now collectors items. I never thought I'd see the day.

Times have sure changed.
    They have - and generally not for the better. I always smile when I see an old American car from the '70s or '60s... damn they were huge. A mid-70s Nova, for example, is longer and seems bigger than a current E-Class Mercedes and absolutely dwarfs a Camry or Accord....and the Nova was a "compact" in its day...

Staff

Very true.

Check out the dimensions and the weight of the 1975-1979 Nova. Almost as big as a Chrysler 300 and lighter than a Nissan Versa\!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...2.80.931979.29

Very true.

Check out the dimensions and the weight of the 1975-1979 Nova. Almost as big as a Chrysler 300 and lighter than a Nissan Versa\!!

There's no way a Versa weighs over 3200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Very true.

There's no way a Versa weighs over 3200 lbs.

1.8 SL Versa XTronic CVT weighs in at 2758 lbs.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Staff

Oops. My bad.

Oops. My bad.
    The concept holds, though...

In terms of overall size (length, wheelbase, interior room, etc.) a mid-1970s American "compact" was as large as a typical current-year "full-size" car.

To get anything like the backseat/trunk room something like a '78 Oldsmobile 98 Regency sedan offered, you'd need to get an extended wheelbase S-Class or BMW 7.... the typical current year mid-size sedan has cramped back seats and a small trunk... at least, by the standards of the 1970s!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Oops. My bad.
    The concept holds, though...

In terms of overall size (length, wheelbase, interior room, etc.) a mid-1970s American "compact" was as large as a typical current-year "full-size" car.

To get anything like the backseat/trunk room something like a '78 Oldsmobile 98 Regency sedan offered, you'd need to get an extended wheelbase S-Class or BMW 7.... the typical current year mid-size sedan has cramped back seats and a small trunk... at least, by the standards of the 1970s!

Now, compare that '77 Nova to a '55 Bel Air. The '55 was probably shorter. But it was taller, so there was more rear seat room.

It's not so much that we're down-sized now, as that we were grossly up-sized in the '60s and '70s.