Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Tuesday Blues

Super Tuesday Blues

I thought all would be revealed after Super Tuesday but I'm still confused.

Will Obama side with Hillary?

Will he not? and then split the Dem vote allowing McCain to join with Huckerbee, or will Huckerbee join with Paul?

or is the heart of the GOP not actually in this election at all, playing the 'long game'?

Does the rest of the world actually care?

Staff

Re: Super Tuesday Blues

I am thinking that the rest of the world is caring less and less about this spectacle we call democracy in this once great country called the United States.

The American public has proven that they are politically inept morons incapable of making a good decision. Of course, that applies to a supermajority of the worlds population as well.

I reserve my vitriol and contempt for the voters who like McCain because he is a war hero. Benedict Aronlold was a war hero before he sold the army to the Brits. The only difference is that McCain is selling this country to the lowest bidders in the US Senate.

This 75 year old Putz doesn't have snowflakes chance in a hot tub of beating Hilary Clinton.

I am staying home in November.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    I thought all would be revealed after Super Tuesday but I'm still confused.

Will Obama side with Hillary?

Will he not? and then split the Dem vote allowing McCain to join with Huckerbee, or will Huckerbee join with Paul?

or is the heart of the GOP not actually in this election at all, playing the 'long game'?

Does the rest of the world actually care?
    Two things:

I hope Obama can stop Hildebeast;
    I hope Ron Paul runs a third party/independent campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    I am thinking that the rest of the world is caring less and less about this spectacle we call democracy in this once great country called the United States.

The American public has proven that they are politically inept morons incapable of making a good decision. Of course, that applies to a supermajority of the worlds population as well.

I reserve my vitriol and contempt for the voters who like McCain because he is a war hero. Benedict Aronlold was a war hero before he sold the army to the Brits. The only difference is that McCain is selling this country to the lowest bidders in the US Senate.

This 75 year old Putz doesn't have snowflakes chance in a hot tub of beating Hilary Clinton.

I am staying home in November.

Me too, probably.

Unless Paul runs as an Independent.

Americans are buy-and-large good people.

Surely one has to vote?

Surely one has to vote?
    When there's no choice? Or, more to the point, when the "choice" amounts to the same thing?

Hildebeast or McCain is like giving a condemned man the "choice" of gas or the electric chair....

I have a complaint with how the different media play the politics game. It's often said that "they" only report the news but often when trying to get the jump on the competition, "they" will skew results. Think of 1948 and the picture of a newly re-elected Harry Truman holding up a newspaper with the headline "DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN". Oops!

In 1980, I was getting ready to leave the house at a little after 5 pm. Indiana has two time zones. As I'm leaving to vote, Roger Mudd came on T.V. and said that Indiana had elected Reagan. I wasn't sure if I wanted to vote for him but was leaning towards a republican vote but when I was told the Reagan won, I voted for Carter anyway.

I often think the electoral college ought to be eliminated. When it was instituted in the late 1700's, yes, most people didn't get to polling places and the electoral college got a representative poll of what the voting public wanted. Now, it lets someone get a minority vote and still win. The last time was in 2000 when Bush actually got fewer votes but got more electoral votes. In addition, the electors only are supposed to cast their votes a certain way, they aren't required. In 2000 a Congress dominated by Republicans got "their man" elected. I'll not mention about the big money interests like Haliburton. >
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Surely one has to vote?
    It's "by and large" a term from the days of sail and in some sense an oxymoron since a ship can only do one or the other.

Voting is a really good idea, even if it is no more than choosing the lesser of two evils. Staying at home is what gives undeserved "mandates.' In many states, the vote gives certain benefits to the party getting the vote, win or lose.

Staff

Surely one has to vote?
    And largely politically STUPID.

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Surely one has to vote?
    When there's no choice? Or, more to the point, when the "choice" amounts to the same thing?

Hildebeast or McCain is like giving a condemned man the "choice" of gas or the electric chair....
    There's no way I will vote for Benedict McClown or the Beast.

I am rooting for Obama. He does nothing and stands for nothing, but I like him a lot better than anyone else, save for Ron Paul. I hear rumblings that Bloomberg may jump in. (eeesch) He'll get about 1 million votes tops.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by grouch
    I have a complaint with how the different media play the politics game. It's often said that "they" only report the news but often when trying to get the jump on the competition, "they" will skew results. Think of 1948 and the picture of a newly re-elected Harry Truman holding up a newspaper with the headline "DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN". Oops!
    Not skewing, just jumping to a conclusion on insufficent data - and that paper got a very bloody nose as a result.

In 1980, I was getting ready to leave the house at a little after 5 pm. Indiana has two time zones. As I'm leaving to vote, Roger Mudd came on T.V. and said that Indiana had elected Reagan. I wasn't sure if I wanted to vote for him but was leaning towards a republican vote but when I was told the Reagan won, I voted for Carter anyway.
    That episode had millions irate. Carter was quoted as giving a concession speech before the polls had closed in CA. Everyone today is very careful to hold results until all the polls have closed.

I often think the electoral college ought to be eliminated. When it was instituted in the late 1700's, yes, most people didn't get to polling places and the electoral college got a representative poll of what the voting public wanted. Now, it lets someone get a minority vote and still win. The last time was in 2000 when Bush actually got fewer votes but got more electoral votes. In addition, the electors only are supposed to cast their votes a certain way, they aren't required. In 2000 a Congress dominated by Republicans got "their man" elected. I'll not mention about the big money interests like Haliburton.
    I'm with you on that - it's archaic. And, the reason was to insulate the results from the passions of the common man. Remember, at that time senators were chosen by the state legislature, not by a popular vote.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    There's no way I will vote for Benedict McClown or the Beast.

I am rooting for Obama. He does nothing and stands for nothing, but I like him a lot better than anyone else, save for Ron Paul. I hear rumblings that Bloomberg may jump in. (eeesch) He'll get about 1 million votes tops.
    My prediction: McCain v/s Hillery - McCain wins. McCain v/s Obama - Obama wins. And you can forget Paul as he's just an off-beat footnote. Paul will show up in later years in trivia questions, just as Perot has.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    I often think the electoral college ought to be eliminated. When it was instituted in the late 1700's, yes, most people didn't get to polling places and the electoral college got a representative poll of what the voting public wanted. Now, it lets someone get a minority vote and still win. The last time was in 2000 when Bush actually got fewer votes but got more electoral votes. In addition, the electors only are supposed to cast their votes a certain way, they aren't required. In 2000 a Congress dominated by Republicans got "their man" elected. I'll not mention about the big money interests like Haliburton.
    I'm with you on that - it's archaic. And, the reason was to insulate the results from the passions of the common man. Remember, at that time senators were chosen by the state legislature, not by a popular vote.
    I think somewhere in there is a clue to the current malaise.

Where is the robust exactitude of democratic process? If not exactitude, fairness and transparency?

Odd that Obama's biggest margins are in the midwest, those states really appear to hate Hillary.

'Course there's no people there, and Hillary seems to be taking big population centers like New York, California and Florida with ease.

I think either Clinton or Obama could take McCain

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    I think either Clinton or Obama could take McCain
    What if McCain takes Paul as mate? Ignoring the Christian/Mormon thing...

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

I often think the electoral college ought to be eliminated. When it was instituted in the late 1700's, yes, most people didn't get to polling places and the electoral college got a representative poll of what the voting public wanted. Now, it lets someone get a minority vote and still win. The last time was in 2000 when Bush actually got fewer votes but got more electoral votes. In addition, the electors only are supposed to cast their votes a certain way, they aren't required. In 2000 a Congress dominated by Republicans got "their man" elected. I'll not mention about the big money interests like Haliburton. >
    I tend to agree; I can't find any arguments in support of the EC that make sense in today's context. I also wish we'd get back to accountable voting - and ballots that can be physically counted by someone rather than something.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

Surely one has to vote?
    It's "by and large" a term from the days of sail and in some sense an oxymoron since a ship can only do one or the other.

Voting is a really good idea, even if it is no more than choosing the lesser of two evils. Staying at home is what gives undeserved "mandates.' In many states, the vote gives certain benefits to the party getting the vote, win or lose.
    Normally - and in general - I agree. However, we live in extraordinary times and the government needs a reality check. If enough people refuse to support either of the candidates and the "winner" has, at best, the support of a small minority (and that fact becomes obvious and well-known) the government loses its mandate - perhaps its legitimacy. That may be a good thing at this point.

The wrong side lost the Civil War. Lincoln - the original Deecider - set down the foundation of the total state. And we are his unlucky heirs.

"There's no way I will vote for Benedict McClown or the Beast."

Me either. It's not merely that I disagree with them on some issue of policy. I consider them - like Bush - authoritarian power-lusters and thus mortal enemies of wehat's left of this republic.

"I am rooting for Obama. He does nothing and stands for nothing, but I like him a lot better than anyone else, save for Ron Paul. "

Me also. The one thing I sort of like about him is he doesn't seem to be an angry, vindictive asshole. Hildebeast and McCain are both.

"I hear rumblings that Bloomberg may jump in. (eeesch) He'll get about 1 million votes tops."

Who wants him?

"My prediction: McCain v/s Hillery - McCain wins. McCain v/s Obama - Obama wins. And you can forget Paul as he's just an off-beat footnote. Paul will show up in later years in trivia questions, just as Perot has."

Likely so.

It's too bad Paul's message - once upon a time the American message - is no longer popular with the Sheep.

They want an Augustus - or a Caligula.

Not a Cincinatus.

"There's no way I will vote for Benedict McClown or the Beast."

Me either. It's not merely that I disagree with them on some issue of policy. I consider them - like Bush - authoritarian power-lusters and thus mortal enemies of wehat's left of this republic.
    Isn't that a bit idealistic?

I mean , we HAVE gummint. What does a no-vote say to those who died in war?