Thread: Psycology bell curve and driving.

Psycology bell curve and driving.

I'm sure everyone has seen the Bell curve, even though they may not understand what it means in a general way in real life. Granted, the Bell curve is usually used in I.Q. testing but it has relevance in real life too.

Consider, if you plot the I.Q. rating of the general population, there will be the most people in the middle and it will taper off on each end. A very thin scale at first going up to the exact average I.Q. of 100. t will then taper off to a thin scale at the top. Now, consider this. People at the bottom of the scale don't drive. I know quite a few people at the top of the scale and they usually have trouble finding the car keys. This narrows the entire range down to more normal people.

End result? If you consider that 100 is the average I.Q. rating, then 50% of the people coming at you on the road are below average intelligence. Sort of gives a new meaning to the daily traffic congestion we all se so much of anymore, doesn't it? :
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Re: Psycology bell curve and driving.

Even without measuring tolerance and emotional stability!

Show me the 40-something male in a large 4WD with tradesman tools who would not shoot you as quick as look at you...
    These are males who after 20 years of drinking and good money grew up BEFORE computers and have kids who try to keep them away from their parties...

The bell curve is a good way to look at it, but measurable intelligence only?

You realise E-mail is slow and too time-consuming now...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

I'm sure everyone has seen the Bell curve, even though they may not understand what it means in a general way in real life. Granted, the Bell curve is usually used in I.Q. testing but it has relevance in real life too.

Consider, if you plot the I.Q. rating of the general population, there will be the most people in the middle and it will taper off on each end. A very thin scale at first going up to the exact average I.Q. of 100. t will then taper off to a thin scale at the top. Now, consider this. People at the bottom of the scale don't drive. I know quite a few people at the top of the scale and they usually have trouble finding the car keys. This narrows the entire range down to more normal people.

End result? If you consider that 100 is the average I.Q. rating, then 50% of the people coming at you on the road are below average intelligence. Sort of gives a new meaning to the daily traffic congestion we all se so much of anymore, doesn't it? :
    But does a high IQ correlate with high order motor skills/driving ability?

My father's no dunce; a medical doctor and a master's degree from Columbia - but he is and has always been a poor driver. Several accidents to his credit. Not from excessive speed; mostly just due to inattentive driving. I have several other anecdotal examples of that kind.

Probably those with low IQs are bad drivers - just as they tend to be bad at everything else! However, I wouldn't bet that having an IQ over say 130 also correlates with superior ability behind the wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

I have always preferred to believe that I am the only sane driver on the stretch of road I am using, with reservations about myself as well. It has kept me safe for many years.

A small point. Some days I get into the car and drive, everything slots perfectly into place, I am aware of everything and everyone around me and reading the road is as easy as reading a large print book. Then one day, possibly even the next day, I get into the car and drive, but somehow things are not the same, everything I do is a conscious effort, my spatial awareness is operating at about 80%, the normal fluency is lacking and driving becomes a task rather than its usual pleasure. Oddly enough this loss of awareness, or whatever it is, does not happen when I am riding the bike.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Some days I get into the car and drive, everything slots perfectly into place, I am aware of everything and everyone around me and reading the road is as easy as reading a large print book. Then one day, possibly even the next day, I get into the car and drive, but somehow things are not the same, everything I do is a conscious effort, my spatial awareness is operating at about 80%, the normal fluency is lacking and driving becomes a task rather than its usual pleasure. Oddly enough this loss of awareness, or whatever it is, does not happen when I am riding the bike.

Ken.
    I don't ride bikes anymore but similar disjunct; some days everything is easy and fluid and other days maybe I drive the same and yet every other driver seems mad. I drive expecting idiots ... some days there are a few. Who would be an insurer?
    I have often wondered about people who park cars on sububan corners, over-insured vakue certain to be hit...