Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just around the corner...

Staff

Re: Just around the corner...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    "That's why we need the draft reinstated - many more would know how to fold clothes and make the bed(g)."

Actually, I support the idea of making voting and "full citizenship" conditional on military (or civilian equivalent) service. Such a policy would provide a much needed "common experience" for Americans from all backgrounds and bolster positive nationalism/idealism. Today, the rank and file military is comprised mostly of people from the lower socio-economic strata - whose options are not as viable as those from middle and upper class backgrounds. There are many (myself among them) who would have liked to go in for a year or so, but who did not because of the tremendous competitive disadvantage a several-year committment to the military poses relative to one's peers who go directly to college and from there into the workplace. By the time a current enlistee gets out, he's several years behind his civilian peer group. Most middle and upper class kids won't buyinto that.... understandably.

"No argument there. What bothers me is the linkage of all these various databases, so the security clearance fingerprints are now available to any agency who wants to look."

Amen.

Things have gone topsy turvy - with alleged "conservatives" kowtowing to (if not cheerleading for) policies that are the antithesis of what conservatism used to mean.

When did Americans become such a spineless, fearful people?

This may sound out of left field, but it first became evident to me when I looked at our reaction to the 1973 energy crisis. That was truly the transforming event of our lifetimes in terms of a paradigm shift in the US position in the world and our peoples relative reaction to events. American drivers accepted (for quite a while) the most idiotic law ever passed by a legislative body: the 55 mph national speed limit.

There were certainly not enough freedom loving people to tell congress to stick this law where the sun doesn't shine.

I saw that as a pivotal point in our country's history. A look back again will prove me correct, I believe.

>>Here, here. You should never need permission to defend yourself. Beside concealed carry permits are unconstitutional. Right to bear arms is a RIGHT not a privilege. <<

And that opens the door for every criminal to legally carry a gun----

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>Here, here. You should never need permission to defend yourself. Beside concealed carry permits are unconstitutional. Right to bear arms is a RIGHT not a privilege. <<

And that opens the door for every criminal to legally carry a gun----

C'mon Jim - that's a non-sequitur...

For the first 150 -plus years this country existed as a nation, no one needed a permit to carry a gun.

The issue is dealing with people who commit crimes using weapons; deal with them harshly - but quit telling people who have never committed a crime of violence that they must be treated as if they had committed such a crime. Or are "likely" to - simply by dint of being armed. That is nonsense.

Armed freemen are no threat to anyone - and the bulwark of a free society.

Criminals, by definition, do not obey laws - "concealed carry" or otherwise. Do you really believe that the existence of such laws presents any impediment to criminals? How many street thugs with Glocks in the underwear do you think have permits? Or are deterred from carrying guns to commit crime?

In fact, all they do is make it a hassle for people who are no threat to anyone (other than scumbags who might try to assault/rob them) to carry a gun.

Criminals love "gun control" - because it disarms their victims.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Things have gone topsy turvy - with alleged "conservatives" kowtowing to (if not cheerleading for) policies that are the antithesis of what conservatism used to mean.

When did Americans become such a spineless, fearful people?
    Things have been too good for too long. During the depression my parents and their peers knew things weren't really good at the moment but they were working hard to make the next moment a trifle better. They had to work, and work hard; there wasn't time or money enough to waste on standing still. And, they knew things would improve if they put their hearts and souls into it.

>>Criminals love "gun control" - because it disarms their victims. <<

Perhaps that's what it used to be--- Now, they have no idea as to who is carrying and have gotten some really big surprises here in Texas. Hardly a day goes by anymore when a criminal doesn't get shot by a victim who is legally carrying.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>Criminals love "gun control" - because it disarms their victims. <<

Perhaps that's what it used to be--- Now, they have no idea as to who is carrying and have gotten some really big surprises here in Texas. Hardly a day goes by anymore when a criminal doesn't get shot by a victim who is legally carrying.
    Excellent; but that simply proves the point, eh? More weapons in the hands of average Joes and Janes makes things safer - that is, more risky for scumbag criminals. But it is the opposite of what people who push so-called "gun control" seek to impose.

There is no "gun control" group or politicians who favors concealed carry laws. They want handguns banned; which amounts to taking them away from people who aren't the problem.

Concealed carry laws just make it more of a hassle for people who aren't the problem to carry weapons. They do nothing to prevent violent thugs from carry weapons, concealed and otherwise. Surely you'll concede this point? (Viz - gun crime is rampant in DC; there are thugs all over Anacostia and PG County with "nines" in their waistbands - but not one with a permit. See also Detroit, South Central LA... Etc.)

Concealed carry laws are politically correct, feel-good Big Momma BS.

Generations of Americans handled (and carried) weapons without having to beg the government for permission; I see no reason why we ought to have to do so now.

Self-defense (including armed self-defense) is a right, not a privilege.

We, as a people, need to be reminded of that. And protective of it, too.