Thread: Million mile pickup!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Million mile pickup!

GRESHAM, Wis. - Frank Oresnik's trusty pickup truck ? he calls it "the old girl" ? passed the 1 million-mile mark with a camera crew filming the event and a public-radio audience listening in. "I can't tell you how much fun it was," he said. "It was really humbling, all this interest."

Recent news stories told how Oresnik had just 1,200 miles to go before reaching the milestone in the 1991 Chevrolet Silverado that he bought with 41,000 miles on it in 1996 and used in his business, distributing seafood and steaks in the upper Midwest.

At the time, he was getting his latest oil change ? the kind of regular maintenance he credits with helping to keep the truck going so long.

He said he's had the truck's oil changed more than 300 times. It's had so many changes that the oil pan drain plug had to be rethreaded several times, he said, and "you never hear of that."

He passed the million-mile mark Friday in southeastern Wisconsin while on his way back home to Catawba, located in the north in Price County, about an hour west of Rhinelander. He was on County Highway V southeast of Fond du Lac.

On hand was a film crew from Chevrolet's public relations and advertising company, and he was speaking live to Robert Siegel, host of National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

A news crew from CBS had been with him earlier in the day.

"I wont say it was relief ... it was exhilarating," Oresnik said later during a stop in Gresham where he has one of his longtime customers. "This truck has been so dependable over the years." Now that it's made history, the truck could be headed back to the automaker or Shell Oil. Oresnik said there's been some interested in GM or Shell Oil buying it.

Re: Million mile pickup!

I've got a truck with 352K but "Black Betty" is getting pretty tired. She's been rode hard and put away wet a bunch of times but keeps plugging along. I have to wonder if the block in that Chevy has every been replaced or overhauled. My engine failed around 330K. When I pulled it, I checked the numbers and it had the trucks VIN on it, at least partially.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

I've got a truck with 352K but "Black Betty" is getting pretty tired. She's been rode hard and put away wet a bunch of times but keeps plugging along. I have to wonder if the block in that Chevy has every been replaced or overhauled. My engine failed around 330K. When I pulled it, I checked the numbers and it had the trucks VIN on it, at least partially.
    That kind of longevity from a gas engine is really something... a testament to either great engineering or fastidious maintenance (or both!)

My sense of it is that maintenance and treatment are probably at least 60 percent of it. Beat any engine, no matter how good its basic design, and I would bet it won't last as long as less-great engine that is treated well and regularly serviced...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

That kind of longevity from a gas engine is really something... a testament to either great engineering or fastidious maintenance (or both!)

My sense of it is that maintenance and treatment are probably at least 60 percent of it. Beat any engine, no matter how good its basic design, and I would bet it won't last as long as less-great engine that is treated well and regularly serviced...

The last NEW vehicle I bought had a little over 220K on it when I sold it. It was a '93 dodge Dakota. the paint was even fairly glossy where it hadn't been beat off by rocks on the highway. The steering rack failed at 98K (it quit pulling to the right after replacement), I put a timing chain set in it at 180K and regular oil changes every 3000 miles. transmission services at each 40K and service replacements of brake shoes and such as needed. If the truck had had tilt steering when my knees started going, I'd have kept it. I just have trouble thinking the million mile mark was on an unrebuilt engine.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

The last NEW vehicle I bought had a little over 220K on it when I sold it. It was a '93 dodge Dakota. the paint was even fairly glossy where it hadn't been beat off by rocks on the highway. The steering rack failed at 98K (it quit pulling to the right after replacement), I put a timing chain set in it at 180K and regular oil changes every 3000 miles. transmission services at each 40K and service replacements of brake shoes and such as needed. If the truck had had tilt steering when my knees started going, I'd have kept it. I just have trouble thinking the million mile mark was on an unrebuilt engine.
    Seems pretty incredible to me also!

On the other hand, My Nissan pick-up is ten years old and has appx. 110k on it and still runs and drives as if it were new. The engine doesn't smoke at all - and I am old enough to remember when the typical truck that was used as a truck was feeling pretty tired by 100k!