Thread: Top 5 Cheesy Cars of All-Time

Top 5 Cheesy Cars of All-Time

Post your picks for the Top 3 Cheesy Cars of All-Time...

Here are my picks:

1) AMC Pacer - AMC tried to revolutionize the small car market with a futuristic spaceship of a car. Problem was most consumers wanted it to fly away and never come back.

2) BMW Isetta - proves that even BMW makes mistakes.

3) The Yugo - cheap is not always good, it can be terrible. With this car if you did not have the money for a new car buying a cheap old clunker was better than buying a new $3999 Yugo:

4) 1982-1988 Cadillac Cimarron - Who in their right mind approved a "J-body Cadillac" at GM?

5) 1974 - 1978 Ford Mustang II - Building a Mustang on a Pinto platform was as bright an idea as the 1980s "New Coke" fiasco.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Top 5 Cheesy Cars of All-Time

I must be getting senile because I've found myself liking both the Pacer and Mustang II more and more as time goes by.

I have actually driven a Pacer (three on the tree, straight six) and it was amusing; the Mustang II maybe could be made respectable with a crate 5.0 and around 300 hp...

I have some new candidates for Most Cheesy Cars of All Time:

* Chevy Cavalier Z24 (A Cavalier is already pretty bad; a "performance Cavalier" is more ridiculous than TJ Hooker as a tough cop.)

* Oldsmobile Bravadas and Oldsmobile Achievas (No comment really necessary; these speak for themselves...!)

* Porsche 924 (Low cost and low performance; what's not to like about that?)

* Chevy Avalanche (If "cheesy" means fake-looking and tacky, this super sized Tonka truck with its egregious plastic cladding must be on the list!)

Lemme work on some more!

The Yugo was (might still be, I don't know if they still build them) knock off of a cheap car to begin with. I think the basic design is FIAT.

I also think a lot of GMs recent offerings are pretty ugly. The new trucks are looking better but the Avalanche and the later trucks with the same nose were just down right rough on the eyes. It's a shame too since GM still builds pretty decent working trucks. The cars seem a bit dainty but the Chevy and GMC pickups are fairly well designed, at least mechanically.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

The Yugo was (might still be, I don't know if they still build them) knock off of a cheap car to begin with. I think the basic design is FIAT.
    And from the UK I offer the Austin Allegro, often referred to as the Austin Aggro, it was a toss up between the Aggro and the Morris Marina. I drove a Marina, once, it was about the worst handling car I had ever driven but, overall I think the Allegro wins.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Eric,

The Mustang II was not a bad car, if it had been called something else it would have faired much better in the automobile history books. After almost 10 years of Ford building a great reputation for the Mustang name plate, having it go on a Pinto platform in 1974, is the reason why it made the list. It would be similar to Pontiac slapping the Trans Am name on a G5 coupe (though the G5 coupe is good car, it would never live up to the Trans Am name. And the Mustang II could never live up to the Mustang name. Ford should have called it something else.