Thread: Street racing is NOT drag racing

Street racing is NOT drag racing

The news is out about an accident Friday night near Washington DC (I think) A deserted strip of interstate seems to have become the magnet for two set of drag racers. The news blurb said that after two cars raced through, the crowd moved into the street to watch. A non-racing car came along and killed several people. Now, I assumed when I first heard the story, I thought one of the cars went out of control and hit spectators. Now several people are dead, many more are injured and possibily maimed and a driver who was going about his or her lawful business has to live with killing pedestrians.

This is one thing I have absolutely NO tolerance for. Drag racing is on a track with proper safety precautions. Street racing is illegal and you can't even boast because there is no proof you won. On a track, you have a timing slip. Granted, I did have a badge for a few years. Still, if someone gets caugth street racing, regardless of damage or injuries, they don't want me on the jury. The prosecutor will still need to prove they are guilty, but if they are, I'll be perfectly happy to throw the key away.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Street racing is NOT drag racing

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

The news is out about an accident Friday night near Washington DC (I think) A deserted strip of interstate seems to have become the magnet for two set of drag racers. The news blurb said that after two cars raced through, the crowd moved into the street to watch. A non-racing car came along and killed several people. Now, I assumed when I first heard the story, I thought one of the cars went out of control and hit spectators. Now several people are dead, many more are injured and possibily maimed and a driver who was going about his or her lawful business has to live with killing pedestrians.

This is one thing I have absolutely NO tolerance for. Drag racing is on a track with proper safety precautions. Street racing is illegal and you can't even boast because there is no proof you won. On a track, you have a timing slip. Granted, I did have a badge for a few years. Still, if someone gets caugth street racing, regardless of damage or injuries, they don't want me on the jury. The prosecutor will still need to prove they are guilty, but if they are, I'll be perfectly happy to throw the key away.
    I agree with these sentiments; but what especially galls me is when adults are involved (as in this case). I'm not apologizing for street racing; but dumb-ass young kids are, well, dumb-ass young kids. We have all been there. But anyone over 25 or so ought to know better; a lot better. I assign more moral guilt/culpability to older idiots than I do youthful ones....

Now several people are dead, many more are injured and possibily maimed and a driver who was going about his or her lawful business has to live with killing pedestrians.

How is it lawful to drive at 3:30 AM with no headlights?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Now several people are dead, many more are injured and possibily maimed and a driver who was going about his or her lawful business has to live with killing pedestrians.

Was that in fact the case?

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel

The driver was not cited as far as I know. If he or she had been driving without headlights, that would have been reckless driving. It's fairly easy to see if a light was lit when it was broken. Indiana State Police have an investigator that took several light bulbs and broke them to see what would happen. Generally, the filament will break but be in two pieces if it wasn't lit. If the lights were on, the filament will break and melt away from the break in a distinctive pattern.

If some of the surviving spectators said there were no lights, how would they know? they were looking the other way. I've been to too many accidents where witnesses say one thing but security cameras show something totally different. One of the first things I was taught in my training period is witnesses carry a lot of weight in front of a jury but really aren't very reliable.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.