Thread: Cheesy movies

Cheesy movies

A couple of movies that are pretty cheesy, but still fairly funny because of it are "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and "Undercover Brother". Talk about spoofs and satire. Still, one has to be in a certain mood as they can be rough on the nerves.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Re: Cheesy movies

"Attack of the Killer Tomatos" is surely a classic. The cheesiest movie among the classics is probably Ed Wood's "Plan 9 from Outer Space" which was so campy it had automobile hub caps for flying saucers.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

A couple of movies that are pretty cheesy, but still fairly funny because of it are "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and "Undercover Brother". Talk about spoofs and satire. Still, one has to be in a certain mood as they can be rough on the nerves.
    "Mars Attacks" is another great one in the same category, I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

"Mars Attacks" is another great one in the same category, I think!
    Certainly one of my favourites.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Mar attack is indeed a good one. Truely a modern cheesy classic, with the added bonus of many stars having cameo roles in the movie.

For some reason, "Mars Attacks" never hit it off with me. I was in a bad mood or something that day, I guess.

But you're right about "Plan 9 from Outer Space" -- the movie so bad that when the star (Bela Lugosi) died during filming, it didn't stop the director from completing filming.

One that is surprisingly good, considering it's miniscule budget, is "Evil Dead". This was Bruce Campbell's first film, if I recall correctly.

A tragedy is the original "Planet of the Apes" movies. They made tons of money for the studio, yet with each new film the budget was cut. In the last film ("Battle for the Planet of the Apes") the attacking ape army was reduced to 20 extras in a surplus school bus.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Chip,

I agree the first Planet of the Apes was a masterpiece. Rod Sterling wrote it like one of his Twilight Zone TV show plots, it worked so well. Especially the final scene when Taylor releases he's on Earth. The second one was not bad, by the fifth and last one as you mentioined they were on a school bus fighting in a field. The special effects were worse than a Sid and Marty Croft super show. Only thing worse than the fifth Planet of the Apes installment was the TV show.

Do you remember "Logan's Run" the TV series?

Way before Commander Data, it was the first series to have a android that looked human.

They had a "hover car" which would bump it's way across a field on the hidden wheels...

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

I remember the Logan's Run movie and I remember there was a TV series, but I don't remember any of the details. Looks like they are going to do a remake of the movie sometime in the next two years.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402344/

Quote Originally Posted by chiph

Way before Commander Data, it was the first series to have a android that looked human.

They had a "hover car" which would bump it's way across a field on the hidden wheels...

Chip H.

In the original "Star Wars", the car that Luke cruises in looking for R2D2 is actually wheeled with mirrors to show sand.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

Chip H.

In the original "Star Wars", the car that Luke cruises in looking for R2D2 is actually wheeled with mirrors to show sand.
    Clever!

The originals three have held up pretty well, I think. But the recent ones were just pure schlock; 90 minute commercials for crap toys. I wanted to empty a couple of .45 magazines into that Jar Jar Binks thing....

For some reason, "Mars Attacks" never hit it off with me. I was in a bad mood or something that day, I guess.

But you're right about "Plan 9 from Outer Space" -- the movie so bad that when the star (Bela Lugosi) died during filming, it didn't stop the director from completing filming.

One that is surprisingly good, considering it's miniscule budget, is "Evil Dead". This was Bruce Campbell's first film, if I recall correctly.

A tragedy is the original "Planet of the Apes" movies. They made tons of money for the studio, yet with each new film the budget was cut. In the last film ("Battle for the Planet of the Apes") the attacking ape army was reduced to 20 extras in a surplus school bus.

Chip H.
    The entire Evil Dead series (which they are now making a 4th one of, w00t!) is brilliant - stupid funny "horror"
    Bruce Campbell is one of the funniest people I've ever seen, and his relationship with the Raimi brothers (Evil Dead, Hercules, Xena, Spiderman) has really been good
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Yeah, loved the line "This... is my boomstick!" from Army of Darkness.

Chip H.