Thread: 2008 Honda 'Blade debuts this evening.

2008 Honda 'Blade debuts this evening.

Although I will not, unfortunately, be attending I had the opportunity to see, touch and sit on the latest Honda Fireblade offering this evening.

Luckily Kenny Pryde, editor of SuperBike magazine got there ahead of me and has published this review;

The 2008 Fireblade is no beauty, but Honda claims that it now has the lightest litre sports bike on the planet with a revised engine and chassis. More power, less weight... and a slipper clutch! ... Scroll down for the full story

Be honest, it takes a while to get over the fact that it looks rather ugly. Or at least its not as attractive as it could be. Or should be. But, as we always say, you can't see how ugly it is when you are sitting on it.

Honda has clearly made a big effort to slim the bike down, shaving weight from front to back, from a lighter battery, an aluminium sidestand, lighter chain, lighter brake rotors and calipers, lighter wheels, a 2.5kg lighter engine, lighter swingingarm, lighter pistons and intake valves, lighter exhaust, lighter...you get the picture. Wherever Honda has been able to trim the fat, it has been trimmed away. Claimed wet weight is 198kg. Subtract 17 kilos for the petrol and we're getting the picture that this will indeed be a lightweight. With more power than the previous model.

Overall, the new Fireblade looks much smaller than the rest of the litre bikes and that's not a trick of the lights. The forks are narrower, the frame is narrower too and the snub-nosed front end also, inevitably adds to the more compact overall impression of the bike. Honda's marketing spiel talked about litre bike power in a 600cc-sized package. We wont know until we ride it and word is we'll get a chance to do that in December.

Thanks Kenny!

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Re: 2008 Honda 'Blade debuts this evening.

Here is another picture of a 2008 'Blade taken from the offside and showing a bit more detail.

Ken.

Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

You know, I don't regard this bike as "ugly." It's not a beauty, but few supersports are, since they are so purpose-built and function (rather than form) is everything.... .

I wouldn't say it's ugly - as with most modern sports bikes, the obsession with weight reduction has left very little for the stylists to play with...

...but how much weight have they really lost? The original 1992 Fireblade had a claimed dry weight of 185kg - maybe kilograms were bigger back then?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    I wouldn't say it's ugly - as with most modern sports bikes, the obsession with weight reduction has left very little for the stylists to play with...

...but how much weight have they really lost? The original 1992 Fireblade had a claimed dry weight of 185kg - maybe kilograms were bigger back then?
    Reckon they have lost between four and five kilos. Now if I could lose that I'd be delighted.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken

Reckon they have lost between four and five kilos. Now if I could lose that I'd be delighted.

Ken.
    You and me both! Winter makes me eat... and I am probably closer to 210 than 190 again... not going near a scale.... gonna be good for a few weeks first!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    You and me both! Winter makes me eat... and I am probably closer to 210 than 190 again... not going near a scale.... gonna be good for a few weeks first!
    Permit me to be smug...

...since September, I've gone from 156lb to 135lb! I'd needed to lose weight for a couple of years, but always 'next week', then, on our wedding anniversary we went out for a meal. It was a nice warm evening, so I just put on a thickish shirt; however, at the last minute, I decided to take a jacket in case it turned cooler later on. There was no way I was going to fasten that jacket! With the Christmas/New Year season of dinner dances, etc., looming, I was a faced with a dilemma - lose weight or buy a new suit - losing weight was the cheaper option!

...... There was no way I was going to fasten that jacket! With the Christmas/New Year season of dinner dances, etc., looming, I was a faced with a dilemma - lose weight or buy a new suit - losing weight was the cheaper option!
    Now why didn't I think of that. Three new jackets, one new suit, twenty new T-shirts .........................

::::::::::::::::::::::::wanders off in a fit of pique:::::::::::::::::::::

Ken.

Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.