Thread: Camaro vs. Challenger (the new ones)

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Camaro vs. Challenger (the new ones)

Having looked at both cars, I think the Camaro has the (by far) more interesting interior, the Challenger the better exterior design. To me, the Dodge looks like a muscle car; the Camaro looks like it hit a wall, got rear-ended and then squashed from above. The side view is downright ugly. A '69 Camaro is much prettier.

What do you guys think?

Oh, PS - the MPG estimates for the Challenger are 13/18 mpg.... how this car survives 35 MPG CAFE is inconceivable to me.

Re: Camaro vs. Challenger (the new ones)

Overall I like the Challenger package better. The exterior is better. The interior is very well done however it's close to a Charger SRT so it does not really break any new ground like the Mustang GT did back in 2005 when it had that neat modern-retro Mustang interior. I still think the Camaro is a good looking car, it's a more angled design than the curvey Challenger.

Unfortunately I think these cars will have a very short life due to the massive increase in the CAFE rating in the not too distant future and with the dollar continuing to plunge it will cause serious inflation. It will be a matter of time when Gulf States move over to the Euro, when that happens $5 gasoline will not be out of the realm of possibility it will be a reality.

Yesterday I saw one of these in a parking lot, this unfortunately is what the future holds as the situation gets deeper, how depressing the future looks:

I like the Camaro much more than the Challenger, interior AND exterior - but I also liked the original camaro better than the original challenger, so maybe thats unsurprising
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Quote Originally Posted by damen
    I like the Camaro much more than the Challenger, interior AND exterior - but I also liked the original camaro better than the original challenger, so maybe thats unsurprising
    Chevy did a great job giving the new Camaro a very cool - and Camaro-specific - interior. The Challenger interior isn't ugly, but it's very similar to the current Charger's and that hurts the car, in my book.

The first generation Camaro was well styled on the exterior especially the 1969 however those 1967 - 1969 interior were as cheap as cheap got, the seats are flat as a pancake and the instrumentation was not laid out very well. The 1967 - 1969 Firebird interiors were far superior to the 1967 - 1969 Camaro interiors. The Firebird looked more upscale and the instrumentation was very well laid out, not to mention the seats were a lot more comfortable than the plain flat Camaro seats. And when you're driving a 1st generation Camaro who wants to bend their head down, and look at the 4 square guages in the console the person who designed this at Chevy had the brains of Forrest Gump.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    The first generation Camaro was well styled on the exterior especially the 1969 however those 1967 - 1969 interior were as cheap as cheap got, the seats are flat as a pancake and the instrumentation was not laid out very well. The 1967 - 1969 Firebird interiors were far superior to the 1967 - 1969 Camaro interiors. The Firebird looked more upscale and the instrumentation was very well laid out, not to mention the seats were a lot more comfortable than the plain flat Camaro seats. And when you're driving a 1st generation Camaro who wants to bend their head down, and look at the 4 square guages in the console the person who designed this at Chevy had the brains of Forrest Gump.
    Amen, so true!

Until the 4th Generation cars came along (which had more or less identical interiors) Pontiac always did a much better job on the inside than Chevy did. Especially awful were the '79-'81 Camaro interiors, which had a godwaful ugly breadbox dash (the '70-'78 cars had a much more attractive wraparound design).....the third gen. '82-up Firebird had a great interior - patterned as I recall to emulate a jet fighter cockpit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Amen, so true!

Until the 4th Generation cars came along (which had more or less identical interiors) Pontiac always did a much better job on the inside than Chevy did. Especially awful were the '79-'81 Camaro interiors, which had a godwaful ugly breadbox dash (the '70-'78 cars had a much more attractive wraparound design).....the third gen. '82-up Firebird had a great interior - patterned as I recall to emulate a jet fighter cockpit.
    Very well said. You are indeed correct the (3rd gen.) '82 - '92 Firebird/Trans Am (3rd gens) interior was exactly patterned after an airplane cockpit. As a side note remember the early 3rd gen. Z28s that had the dual speedo needles (one read in MPH the other KPH)? It was very annoying to drive one of these because of that speedo. One thing I did like from this era of 3rd generation Camaro was the rare optional round traditional clock mounted in the center console, saw one of these NOS clocks go for many $$$$$ on Ebay a few years ago. Remember the digital dash Berlinettas of this era? It had the flat panel radio controls on the console. The system was pretty neat until you wanted to replace it with an aftermarket unit, it required tearing apart the dash and taking a lot of electronics out.

Staff

My favorite dash layout came from the 1970-1978 Firebirds. The cars, however, had terrible seating positions. The rear seats were positively awful. A 3 year old couldn't be comfortable in those. I realize that they were 2+2s, but I really hated being in the back of those vehicles.