Thread: French Speed

French Speed

I think this is over 300mph on land and makes a GTO look silly...

574km/hr and I have basic French language but i didn't need that to get this excellent atmosphere.

C'est la vie!

The face of the driver says it all. He has driven the fastest train ever in the world. The technical things were too complex to discuss here. But his face is everything....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgWK8nz44Es

Re: French Speed

and I thought world land speed records had value....

When it finally decides to wad itself up into a ball, the wreck will be spectacular.

Hell, when Donald Campbell got the world land speed record we thought it was pretty cool. 403mph.

And that was enough to earn a lot of respect. Americans for all their brash claims couldn't do it except with some fancy newcomer jet system.

I've never been over about 220km/hr or 130mph on land and wouldn't want to hit something solid at anything over about 10mph; an óff'from a motorbike into solid objects very nearly killed me. I think that driver of the French train was as nervous as all the techs in the train, which was wired up with cameras all over the place. 574km/hr on land truly is a remarkable thing... the rotational issues and the structure of the wheels alone... and the impact of rail-joints alone are colossal, the power required at 25,000V AC taken from overhead wires to make the necessary... I'm not sure but I think it was somewhere north of 18,000hp all done with axle-driven electric motors.

Lights in the district may have dimmed.

It was into an únknown' to go much over 300mph the aerodynamics unknown, although computer models suggested it would "probably"work...
    what amuses me is that this was of no interest to the media.

The tech used on the train is applied to everday intercity trains, but was mostly a French 'tour-de-force'.

I'll put the link in again...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    I think this is over 300mph on land and makes a GTO look silly...

574km/hr and I have basic French language but i didn't need that to get this excellent atmosphere.

C'est la vie!

The face of the driver says it all. He has driven the fastest train ever in the world. The technical things were too complex to discuss here. But his face is everything....

Well, depends on the perspective. I have traveled at 500 mph on jet airliners... but the thrill was nill. The sensation of speed not even close to that which I experience at 150-plus on a fast motorcycle....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Well, depends on the perspective. I have traveled at 500 mph on jet airliners... but the thrill was nill. The sensation of speed not even close to that which I experience at 150-plus on a fast motorcycle....
    Ah, yes, I was being a bit provocative by denigrating the GTO.
    I agree that the sensation of speed in such a train is comparable to travel in a jet airliner, except that being on land there are some collosal forces at work and i'm an old time RR nut at heart. I love the way the driver rolls up his sleeves, a jet aircraft used to keep up with the train! and the photography showing the wheels, of which there were 32 and any oner failing would have killed a lot of people!
    Chuck Yeager would have been proud.

Is it fun to travel at 150mph on a bike, or just simply scary? I personally don't much enjoy air travel, but that is just a lack of contact with the technology over the years... no disrespect to especially military flyers.

To me, the ultimate machimne is something along the lines of a well-built well-driven steam locomtive sustaining around 2,500 drawbar horsepower on an upgrade in foul weather on fells in the north of England.. and resting at Euston or Edinburgh with under one ton of coal left, the driver and fireman receiving nods of appreciation from passengers...