Thread: Here's more on the Rev. John Hagee and McCain

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Here's more on the Rev. John Hagee and McCain

(Note to JDM - no Bill Moyers involved!)

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/video/#78783

Re: Here's more on the Rev. John Hagee and McCain

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Just another religious nutcase. Usually they are fairly harmless - this one sounds dangerous.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Thank you, I never heard of this guy. I use "thank you" very loosely, I cudda done without ever hearing of him at all.

And you guys wonder why the US has difficulty gaining respect.... ?

I got a face full of American Christianity via my evangelist-converted mother from age 9yrs so am not the best person to ask about some aspects of America.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Well, fear would work, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    If you try to colonise us, like South America, I will be busy.

I have a model of a Marylebone-Sheffeild 1953 to make better...

In another post today I wrote about firing a steam locomotive in such as the 1950s were in Britain, although I persnally wasn't the fireman.

We didn't have TV., we worked shifts, we were lucky to have indoor plumbing, and the men we worked with often had been in the trenches, and we did the work, the guys who drank too much were OK most of the time, sometimes brilliant, but you had to watch them.

Some of those guys could hold and engines on a grade with light sanding with full load and have such a touch with steam I couldn't describe, full arm mechanical regulator and some impossible load of freight behind, leading onto some line with 40 wagons of coal, dragging accross the main line, the signalmen watching, having got a bell from 10 miles away, a phonecall, from a small box,

"Northumbrian 8 minutes late going hard', while there is suburban train, due across in one minute due exactly now signals ön for it the driver gets the idea, not having seen the express, given a green it stamps out of the station and crosses the three tracks, leaving a running woman behind, who stands in the freezing air at the end of the platform, yelling f-words, as the local stamps across the main; as the last carriage of the train crosses, the A3 at the front of the "Northumbrian'" gets a yellow, double blocked it is ok to drift down from the 95mph reached; engine riding sweetly, but only one crew and a long, long whisltle, through and outer suburban station a kid watches and hears the hiss of the valves being cut off.

The main is clear and yellows change to green and the angry woman on the platform is still arguing with a porter us three miles away, having given a long whistle for a mate in a local 2-up 2-down, another for the signalman, and seeing the altercation on the freezing platform, still dunning at 75mph, a small 'pop' on the whistle. Vast noise and the long line of lighted carriages. Didn't set at piece at all.

Regulator set at 18% regulator the driver was worried about coal, I got the fire around to over180lbs. but he wanted to have a "go"and nodded to me for the mostly straight before the complex stuff, he was right into it, he was raking down bits of coal and I could see out of the the corner of my eye he was trying to but I was wanting to feel the engine under power and on the slight upgrade I put her into 22% than 25% and I think we had her holding 75mph., she felt good, I gave her a bit of throttle and although he was watching for signals he came across the roaring cab and took over, and when I was looking for signals he was back to 15% and the pressure was over 220lbs.

The engine wasn't a good steamer by reputation, so we were pleased to eventually make time, and the fire he had put some coal I couldn't read foward and aft, as well as a thick fire in the centre,
    "get it fallng into the ..." I never heard as I think purposely underbraked...hit the slow line, running far too fast , and mubmled;, "that'll fix the *fb..... s* in 1st", under his breath.
    t knew he had been in the war...
    I had to look disinterested. He was demoted, sick leave, and I got a better job, and I never knew exactly how he bought that fire around.

I got a face full of American Christianity via my evangelist-converted mother from age 9yrs so am not the best person to ask about some aspects of America.
    The aggressive religiosity stuff really gets my back up. I fear and loathe the evangelical nutcases as much as I do any other crazed religious nut, including the Islamic ones. Ours aren't violent - yet - because for the most part the active members/leaders are fat old people; few young ones. (Islamic radicals are mostly young; when testosterone is high - and that's part of the reason why they are so violent, I'd suggest.)

However, the rhetoric of these Christers is just as vitriolic, apocalyptic, "in group/out group" - and demented.

On the Hagee thing alone I would never vote for McCain. But there are many other good reasons to hope he'll get sent back to AZ to pick at his face gout....

So much for America being a guiding light to the world... unless ultimately yout virtue is entirely by having the best guns. and s tradition of freedom.

Follow up reply:

I was flicking TV channels this afternoon and who should show than that lard-assed bloviator, Hagee ranting like a mad man!

Follow up reply:

I was flicking TV channels this afternoon and who should show than that lard-assed bloviator, Hagee ranting like a mad man!
    It'd be funny - in a sideshow kindof way - if these types didn't have the ear of major political leaders like McCain. That he feels obliged to kow-tow to such a man really says a lot about the state of the GOP - and of the country.

It'd be funny - in a sideshow kindof way - if these types didn't have the ear of major political leaders like McCain. That he feels obliged to kow-tow to such a man really says ita lot about the state of the GOP - and of the country.
    Chilling, isn't it.

But the US has lost its general respect for secular gummint, most voters don't even know the differnce between secular free practice of thought, and Mormons or Bible-thumpers, anti-Christ is defeated by the true Christ?

And you want to run a country on this?

have you been talking in tongues recently/ expecting the descent of Christ and the rapture, and we all go to heaven. /?
    while the evil non-believers are cut to shreds in battles presumably in Jordan, hey, Jews have some value, as warriorts, however misguided... and the women and children will all die.

Can you see how while the world is interested in the US., you attract some disdain and cause some worry?