Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rob's Leica Camera Pics Vista

Rob's Leica Camera Pics Vista

Hi All,

With current notebook dead (it was XP) I just went and bought a Vista notebook and a stuttering communication... the new computer does random keyboard errors, Acer. Good. We can live with that.

The nature of communcation...

I used to take a lot of street photos with a Leica III 35mm film camera and in the clear emphasis of Microsoft to prevent keyboards and language being a part of communication, or at least we communicate in spite of Microsoft but not because of it perhaps a srep above cave-paintong..

I was interested in the way Vista might work, and have to say that after three days of work it is quite fast with 2GB RAM but on my connection which gave seamless video on XP is slower clunkier and data storage is just as slow as XP was, but hey, It's all MY FAULT.

here is a scan of a print of my steet photos which are about a thousand 10"x12"from a Leica III taken in 1970-1990 all can be done with a new Vista,
    machine... but I suspect Vista doesn't like non-complex stuff and the webcam has already stopped working.

Re: Rob's Leica Camera Pics Vista

This guy ... the photos was taken with a 6x6 attacked me after I took the photo,

he was in 1969 from the country and sleeping-off a night and wasn't pleased, he want't to beat me up but I was fit and young and we ended up having a beer in a pub and we met a man who knew the merchant ship his brother died on in the war,

the original 10x12s are full or warm tone,

I used to be able to take photos of kids...

like this in a street on in a freezing valley of weatherboard houses, but I cannot take photos of kids so easily... well I could but I am to lazy

Yet after the Motorbike injury, and subseqyent things,

I got a passing elderly woman to take the camera from the hidden pre-set camera on my lap, and take thia pic of "Jess" a border collie cross who had all of the qualities of intelligence required to bascially hand around...

Then I got serious about photos...

she never liked me taking this photo after she had done 6 days at 10 hours per day as Charge Nurse fully running a geriatric ward with no cover for emerhgencies and she sometimes came home OK sometime I would pick her up at 11.30pm after she went to work at 7am and she was very tired.
    Here she too tired to resist the Leica on F4 1/16th FP4 800asa.

Cruel, cruel things, cameras and she hates them.

She still has a complex senior-sister headgear on.
    There is a blower heater on.
    She liked reading had a degree in English and enjoyed my boyish antics, if not my predlection to slow classical music.

Here is a link to any who have broadband, it shows road vs rail and taken by an amatuer shows a place where on a grade crossing a young couple died recently, and the closesness of the freight train to the suburban electric is NOT edited... and there are in an early part of the sequence two V12 deiesel-electrics in notch 7 . of 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36vX1bT_eUU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSixa1L1w5g

This is delectable.

You won't get better video , I suspect this comes from the finest railway photographer in NZ., a retired schoolteacher in maths English classics whom I knew well when I was 15 years old, and we 'chased' a train in a Hillman Suoer Minx to keep up with an "oil train" I still have the film, yes even on DVD.

This guy is just a complete master of his craft, and put low res-stuff on Youtube as part of a record of train vs road transpoirt but made no comment. He was a brilliant b+w photographer, D L A Turner... no, A Gorrie, who must be congratulated..

I know the land around this video even better than he does, you cannot keep up with trains out of the city unless you go 90+mph in a 60-mph area, even the freights, even though they go up 1 in 100 through 3 miles+ of tunnel, and they have 1-in-57 for three miles before they are 20 miles out of town. The trains keep a lot of containers off the two-lane roads, which are the only alternative.

Driving these V12s is entirely outside the frame-of-mind of most car drivers. The third clip is a freight train diverted with100 miles, the main line blocked by some reason. There is an extra man on the left in the cab, our trains are proper right hand drive. The grades require proper British stuff, even if the engines are American...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0VO9...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRVua160e4I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTWEt9Hh86I

May the Good Lord help us, he has that heathen OS up and running.

As far as I can tell, Vista offers no particular improvements over XP. At least for my purposes.

I wonder where the 7 billion dollar five-year development money went?

MikeHalloran

The money went for formal study of seppuku.

Vista disembowels itself much sooner and much more thoroughly than any of its predecessors did.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran
    The money went for formal study of seppuku.

Vista disembowels itself much sooner and much more thoroughly than any of its predecessors did.
    That might be the security things to ensure the Microsoft model of operation; if all else fails they still get the money.

One brother of mine runs Linux, and works in an obscure Crown Research Institute as essentially the person to talk to when there is a mathematical issue. His post-grad stuff was pure maths,
    and it seems a radical step to install Linux when so far Vista has worked reasonably well.

My system here came with Norton anti-virus which I have not enabled since it was a 30-day 'free' thing I thought running it might embed it so future stuiff would be problemativ. I have run AVG since the first hour and it updates every day.
    I get dire warnings from the system on start-up "˙our computer is not protected", and wonder if I should uninstall Norton. Or at least shut it up.

MikeHalloran

Your instincts align with my experience. I would remove NAV and keep AVG.

Thanks Mike for the feedback.

I'm diffident about uninstalling things which might be embedded in the OS... who knows what MS does?

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Thanks Mike for the feedback.

I'm diffident about uninstalling things which might be embedded in the OS... who knows what MS does?
    NAV is NOT imbedded in the operating system, it's an accessory that was included by the maker of the laptop, not something included by Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel

NAV is NOT imbedded in the operating system, it's an accessory that was included by the maker of the laptop, not something included by Microsoft.
    The Vista system I have has all kinds of things by default mostly Acer applications, and the relationship between the manufacturer, Acer, and Microsoft is unclear.

Are you running Vista and have you uninstalled NAV from it?

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel

The Vista system I have has all kinds of things by default mostly Acer applications, and the relationship between the manufacturer, Acer, and Microsoft is unclear.

Are you running Vista and have you uninstalled NAV from it?
    The Acer apps are almost certainly all necessary - don't mess with them. The NAV is probably still active and if AVG is on as well, there are two AV programs running at one time, not a good thing.

If I were in your place and intended to use AVG, I'd be rid of NAV at once or remove it from the start list so it won't load.

How pray do I remove an embedded anti-virus?

Uninstall?

It works ok so far.... NAV has never been enabled or run. I was rather hoping that after 30 days or so it would give up and go away, like a Mormon missionary

Uninstall?

It works ok so far.... NAV has never been enabled or run. I was rather hoping that after 30 days or so it would give up and go away, like a Mormon missionary
    It's not "imbedded", it's just an accessory that was installed by default by the maker of your system.

Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs will get rid of it.

Uninstall?

I wouldn't know how to remove NAV from Vista. For one thing it is not embedded, just another program so that should be no big deal so long as it is not running in background. NAV8 is thought by many to be a decent AV but if you're happy with AVG, there is no reason to change.

What usually happens with the manufacturer included AV is that it no longer updates malware definitions after the initial 30 day period but remains on the computer becoming more outdated every day - something on the order of a missionary who won't go away.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

Uninstall?

I wouldn't know how to remove NAV from Vista. For one thing it is not embedded, just another program so that should be no big deal so long as it is not running in background. NAV8 is thought by many to be a decent AV but if you're happy with AVG, there is no reason to change.

What usually happens with the manufacturer included AV is that it no longer updates malware definitions after the initial 30 day period but remains on the computer becoming more outdated every day - something on the order of a missionary who won't go away.
    The question remains, should I uninstall it? It *hasn't* been énabled' but Acer hardware and software is crawling all over the OS.

I rather thought that if I reject NAV manually every time I boot up it would eventually go away.