Thread: Rob's Great Table

Rob's Great Table

It's only a basic bench but shown here, in a not-very used room, table is 3m x1.2m

to this...

all with a $200 camera thankyou!

arrr, the Yorkshire moors, Bronte Country, there lies the hard patient edge if not any particular work; and the scenery is.poor, the late train stopped by signals yellow then red before an 02 and eighty wagons of slate come down off the Fells, brakes red hot on the engine, bearings still loose and clanking 35 loaded unbraked wagons, the two brake vans at the rear sliding on-and-off, and the cross-country express has to *start* into a 1-in-70 with fifteen on .. fully loaded, some connecting to Ireland, and now 20 minutes late. The freezing wind from Russia behind the train, later, on the "Settle and Carlisle" it ran up to over 90mph on the downgrades, whistling far too loud for the signalmen who had been /midland men... being like a Ford hooting at a GM show...

Re: Rob's Great Table

I have just started to use and alternative mail server from Microsoft,

and to test it iI found this...

she did cryptic crosswords rather well

I dunno why some say I am a good photographer,

take a Leica loaded witth 800asa-capable film with morning light, pre-set at 1/30th at F4 and she looks up;
    I say, do you reckon this camera works?
    and candid photoraphy is intrusive, I guess.

but what are all portraits?
    I stick to less problematic stuff now...

Keen observers will note that the first pic obove, of the Great Table, there is an electric drill on the floor. This was bought in 1975 and was used for all of my years of furniture manufacturing, Jaguar reparing, Mini heads, and recently more furniture making. And it won't die!

anyway, this is the best of the pics made on the table... it shows a 1960-ish train in the Midlands, breasting a grade with ten carriages , competent, ordinary unloved , the 1947-built 5MT (mixed traffic) engine has been running at about 25mph on the uphill at 1-in-70, having hit the grade 15 miles previously at 70+mph, with a train from Leeds to Bristol; at the top of the grade the signals are clear, the weather good, and the boiler is being re-filled for even as the exhaust begins to shout , accelerating already there are yanks felt in the carriages behind and the engine is on 35% cutoff regulator and the fireman is crawling over the tender raking the best coal down before the downhill speeds make that uncomfortable in the cold roaring air.

On the train there is an ex-NER (North Eastern Railway) retired driver who pulled the trains up this grade with pairs or old goods engines open cabs, and he is thinking, 'they do it easy" and then the crackle of exhaust as the 5MT get into its stride he can see it on some of the corners from the window eight carriages back and 44666 leans into the curves with a feather of exhaust running now towards 90mph. Before they get to Birmingham he makes his way past the buffet through the thirds, the composites, then the section for Bristol, and jumps down before the engine is relieived, and walks up the platform and the driver on left hand side is down by the cyklinders with an oil can, the fireman raking coal now again, the train is on time and he walks up in civvies and says,

"I used to drive that line with J21s", and the driver ends up letting him walk around the 'Black Five' and they are all three in the cab when the guard arrives with ttrain advices and there is no fresh engine how are you placed for making Gloucester?.. the driver has a ticket fot this, the fireman is young and keen but no overnight in Brum., "we can do that" after a look at the pursed lips of the firemasn who is thinking of a beer in a pub and a girl...

The old man from the NER is then asked if he would like to run in the cab, as they watch the passengers and guard is busy somewhere,
    "Dinnae worry they will think ye an inspector" , and the old man gets a run, even with the throttle, and says, "Äye they are OK., these engines", and nothing was said beyond that. After the descent of the Lickey the driver just got out of the driver's seat and nodded to the old man who took the seat, and put his hands on the worn cutoff handle which was at 20% and pulled it back a four notch then back a bit, greens ahead he knew this was gently rising an could feel the weight of the train, went to 25 then a bit more and as he felt the engine, a sweet one, pulling and making 60mph plus he put the regulator to 40% and the engine was just as in the photo.

The fireman sometimes tickled the fire; he smiled and said, "Yorkshire Coal"... and watched for signals, the driver stood by, a smile on his face, and there was a yellow in the distance and he was just about to take back the driver's seat when the old man had the regulator off and was looking for the snifting valve and had his hand on the brake handle, looking hard at the distant signals; they were 15 minutes behind from delays mostly in the Midlands, but the old man pulled the whistle as if he was always in charge and gave it a long pull with a touch to add, and with signals still yellow he touched and feathered the vacuum brakes so the engine was still taut with the train, even into a small drop in the line he kept is steady, 25% back, brakes still on, and when the semaphore went green within an instant he had 30% and wide regulator and the passengers behind never felt a thing, coming over the gradient and complex junctions and there was a rather-too-long whistle of acknowledgement as the old man left the train hammering ... it was art, and the driver left him too it until the complex junctions.. and the fireman was happy,

Old man visiting his younger sister in Bristol, his son-in-law asked the old man if he survived the trip with bloody British Railways.

It was OK...

The photo of the Great Table is from a Canon A620 set on auto and the flash does OK with the camera held above my head in my left hand, the pic is reduced to about 60KB from 3.1MB with PSP6; nothing fancy. The second pic is with the same camera with manual setting of everything, 0.6sec F8 focus at 20cm lens set to about 35mm focal length in 35mm equivalence (one stop in from wide angle) with delayed shutter release 10sec and a desktop light used and auto white balance. I don't muck around with studio lights. I might splash out and buy a 512MB SD card some day.
    I paint the sky in on PSP6 using the paintbrush tool. Exposure and shutter speed etc is done by guesswork, a first pic will show on the screen if it's close.
    The trick seems to be picking the bits of the amazing technology available today, but I do rather miss the film photography...

I think you've posted the photo of The Great Train Table before.
    Is there a more recent pic available?

The trees are starting to bud -- spring is on it's way.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg

Nor do I. At the same time, I'm not, either. I could screw up 'American Gothic.'

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    I think you've posted the photo of The Great Train Table before.
    Is there a more recent pic available?

The trees are starting to bud -- spring is on it's way.

Chip H.
    that photo was taken yesterday afternoon, Mr Blue Engine is fresh out of the box, almost.

What is this thing called Spring? Days are warm, nights are cooler, and in clear air the stars are bright. Late summer. Lots of "boy-racers" out in their lowered turbo cars at night...

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

Nor do I. At the same time, I'm not, either. I could screw up 'American Gothic.'
    Well, I don't care much about the opinion of experts in the field of photography, so it's not much of a problem, and I am lazy, and ill-disposed towards arty or expert people. But I do have about 50 exhibition-quality prints of street life in the 1970s and 80s..

WW2 vets c1969

Kids in a poor street by the meatworks Christmas Day 1968

Ptotos have not been fixed with retouching of hairs. All 10"x12"Agfa.

and with a motorbike,

down to the beach... no helmets needed...

Many years later, two friend both with T5-ish spinal paralysis, that Theo on the left, great at Bridge and Chess , we used to understand each other well; he from a poor Dutch post-WW2 immigrant family and me being a basic NZ large family, we both endured the Spinal Unit and spent many an hour discussing the nature of Scientific American, but came to no conclusion.
    I could beat him at chess if he got very drunk. Mention 'Walloon' and his thinking would go awry.

I was editor of the local para magazine at the time, and was censured at every AGM., this photo shows me when wimmin thought something of me, cocky bastard that I was. This was after the 1985 comatose stroke... Theo had driven me home after that 3 month horror in a 1978 Morris Marina. I think he is still alive.

Theo had driven me home after that 3 month horror in a 1978 Morris Marina.
    Now that's adding insult to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    He bought a 1983 Honda 1300cc auto Civic. arround 1986 Came around to visit me and Margaret and it took us some time to work out the Honda headlight switch... the car is still running fine... but we mocked him anyway. In a friendly sort of way...

He bought a 1983 Honda 1300cc auto Civic. arround 1986 Came around to visit me and Margaret and it took us some time to work out the Honda headlight switch... the car is still running fine... but we mocked him anyway. In a friendly sort of way...
    Switch is a column stalk, isn't it?

Switch is a column stalk, isn't it?
    Yes. With a twist-operation....

So when are you guys gonna scroll back through my photos and make me rich and famous?