Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porsche owners

Porsche owners

Is it a pre-requisite for buying a convertible 911 that you have a bald spot?

Or does that come with the car?

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Re: Porsche owners

Quote Originally Posted by chiph

Chip H.
    Could be but likely unque to the 911 ragger. I once put a deposit on a Boxster and there was no problem.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chiph

Chip H.
    Ha!

I have noticed this also; and "over 50," too....

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Sure! Who else can afford a Porsche, and is old enough to appreciate a "real car" as opposed to an Escalade?

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    Sure! Who else can afford a Porsche, and is old enough to appreciate a "real car" as opposed to an Escalade?

Agreed! However, most over-50s have lost the need for speed. So it's kind of ridiculous to buy a car that capable - then just putter around in the thing...

Agreed! However, most over-50s have lost the need for speed. So it's kind of ridiculous to buy a car that capable - then just putter around in the thing...
    Just so long as it is perfectly and abundantly clear, without equivocation or dissension or any possible level of mis-interpretation, that I do not fall into the 'Most over-50s have lost the need for speed' category.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

I dunno, I pegged the speedometer on my '99 Kawasaki about the time I turned 50. To be honest, I haven't ever done it since, I just wanted to see if it would hit the 140 mark, much less the 150. Pegged past 150 but the GPS unit I was using as a back up speedometer (since bikes tend to be optimistic at best) said I only hit 141 as a top speed. It sort of scared me since the hard bags and all were on the bike at the time. I know I passed a BMW driver and all I saw was a glance of a surprised driver in my mirror. He tried to race me but thought better of it since I was long gone at that speed. :
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken

Just so long as it is perfectly and abundantly clear, without equivocation or dissension or any possible level of mis-interpretation, that I do not fall into the 'Most over-50s have lost the need for speed' category.

Ken.
    Absolutely - but you defy categorization!

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

I dunno, I pegged the speedometer on my '99 Kawasaki about the time I turned 50. To be honest, I haven't ever done it since, I just wanted to see if it would hit the 140 mark, much less the 150. Pegged past 150 but the GPS unit I was using as a back up speedometer (since bikes tend to be optimistic at best) said I only hit 141 as a top speed. It sort of scared me since the hard bags and all were on the bike at the time. I know I passed a BMW driver and all I saw was a glance of a surprised driver in my mirror. He tried to race me but thought better of it since I was long gone at that speed. :
    You and Ken are anomalies, I think!

I will be too - I hope....

Its no problem just think young, play young, act young and end up, like me,74 going on 21. Ignore the norm, keep pushing your boundaries and accept that most of your 'limitations' are only in your mind. Mind you, I didn't have to work on it, it runs in the family.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Looks like I'm an anomaly as well...

Its no problem just think young, play young, act young and end up, like me,74 going on 21. Ignore the norm, keep pushing your boundaries and accept that most of your 'limitations' are only in your mind. Mind you, I didn't have to work on it, it runs in the family.

Ken.
    Then there are us ancient ones who are stuck at fourteen.

Ken.
    My best friend just turned 70 something over 2 being female it would be poor form to be exact.

The trick, we think, is to actually have things to do, regardless. She has three wild daughters who sometimes keep her busy, and a three-legged Bijon-Freize, which probably wouldn't win Crufts,

but I really do miss the way I could spend 10 hours straight building models, or walk the streets 10-feet tall and indestructible! Especially on my bikes, able to slide them especially downhill under brakes, but be a gentleman with a very beautiful girl as pillion and althiough fast she would never feel a gearchange.

Boy could I write some stories (chased by a bike gang straight out of a movie after I offended them by riding through them as they did a big gang act coming off a ferry) the pretty girl, summer, skirt, the gang guys had stolen my goggles and some parts off my bike and when I confronted them they gathered around me and said , "how the f..k would we know".. with no smiles!
    Stephanie and I rode between a staged biker thing coming off the boat as if we didn't care, on a Triumph Trident, huge crowds had gathered to watch the bikies ... we call the 'bikies'... and I thought a cup of tea and an hour and they would be gone towards ChCh ...

but it turned out they were all spread out riding to Nelson, as were we. Like a dark cloud of intimidation a few riders recognized us, there were no girls on their bikes, and Stephanie was quite reasonably in fear of being gang-raped and me being beaten up , and late afternoon it was getting tense.

Then on the Whangamoas there was a layby with maybe 15 bikes as we were more or less surrounded by unpleaseant guys and those who were standing on the layby pointed and a couple ran for their bikes. ... this is in remote bush... I couldn't pick it but two guys with 'Saints' ran like WW2 pilots to their machines, it wasn't a time to stop and negotiate.
    One gorgeous girl, offence to a gang, remote winding road; Stephanie was great, like part of me, we had ridden together before and to stop was simply not an option. The road was summer with some light gravel on wet tar and many corners posted 25mph., we got the full flower of my skill 2-up the only time I slid a bike under brakes that way and the 1973 Trident was very strong ... on the more open road we could make 11omph a fraction more than the 650s which had been at times only 50 metres behind.

Ironically, if I had dropped the bike and it would have been serious injury at those speeds, the gang guys would probably have been very good and respected Stephanie, if not me.

She married a lawyer and has 4 children in a good part of Auckland last I heard.
    When we were going 110+mph on the roads along the tidal flats near Nelson there were no chasing bikes left which could keep up. We went straight to a very small hotel I knew on the edge of the town; early evening there was a two bed room available, and I turned away while she undressed, she being 'with' my friend Murray.
    When about 18 months later she visted me in the Spinal Unit with her female friend Kerry, it was winter, and I was about 6 stone after not just the pnuemonia, but was paralysed T456. Stephanie was a strong girl ... she didn't like going to see me so low.

Riding back a few days later was sweet; Murray had broken an eye pulling a wine-cork. He was made blind for two days, then we rode the same road slower back to the ferry to Wellington, which was neat.
    Stephanie's father was a Ford dealer and bike-shop owner and he seriously did not like me, but it wasn't an issue; we borrowed her mother's 1100cc Morris and drove the 400 miles to Auckland for the Elton John concert 1973 and with me and three young girls got that thing there and back; I had only a couple of addresses for Ak but with the girls it wasn't a problem.
    The car had bearing-knock warm, and I nursed it as best I could, knowing the road well, but the old man blamed me for "thrashing" his car. His car. yeah, I nurtured the thing through all those hills 400 miles plus return, and the girls didn't care, except in the earthquake gullies we got a flat, and I fixed it in the summer sun.
    Steph's father was of the generation who fought in WW2., and didn't like me. I was he judged from a railway family which was not good enough, and me being up-front got on brilliantly with his wife, Steph's mother, with sherry and cigarettes. Stephanie saw right through it, and besides, I wasn't a good bet.

So that went nowhere. Kerry remained a good friend, but I haven't heard for years.

Apologies for long message.

I'll have you know sir that I look nothing like a sea creature. Although, come to think about it, I have been getting a little round and spikey. :-\
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by grouch
    I'll have you know sir that I look nothing like a sea creature. Although, come to think about it, I have been getting a little round and spikey.
    Be cautious! a sea otter has his eyes on you!

Yesterday on the way home from work I saw a guy in a Mini Cooper convertible, black, with vanity plates. Top down, cellphone in use. Naturally, he had the requisite bald spot on his crown.

I bet he has a recumbent bicycle too.

It looked like he was leaving the local tanning salon.

What has this do to with,

>>My best friend just turned 70 something over 2 being female it would be poor form to be exact.

The trick, we think, is to actually have things to do, regardless. She has three wild daughters who sometimes keep her busy, and a three-legged Bijon-Freize, which probably wouldn't win Crufts,

but I really do miss the way I could spend 10 hours straight building models, or walk the streets 10-feet tall and indestructible! Especially on my bikes, able to slide them especially downhill under brakes, but be a gentleman with a very beautiful girl as pillion and althiough fast she would never feel a gearchange.

Boy could I write some stories (chased by a bike gang straight out of a movie after I offended them by riding through them as they did a big gang act coming off a ferry) the pretty girl, summer, skirt, the gang guys had stolen my goggles and some parts off my bike and when I confronted them they gathered around me and said , "how the f..k would we know".. with no smiles!
    Stephanie and I rode between a staged biker thing coming off the boat as if we didn't care, on a Triumph Trident, huge crowds had gathered to watch the bikies ... we call the 'bikies'... and I thought a cup of tea and an hour and they would be gone towards ChCh ...

but it turned out they were all spread out riding to Nelson, as were we. Like a dark cloud of intimidation a few riders recognized us, there were no girls on their bikes, and Stephanie was quite reasonably in fear of being gang-raped and me being beaten up , and late afternoon it was getting tense.

Then on the Whangamoas there was a layby with maybe 15 bikes as we were more or less surrounded by unpleaseant guys and those who were standing on the layby pointed and a couple ran for their bikes. ... this is in remote bush... I couldn't pick it but two guys with 'Saints' ran like WW2 pilots to their machines, it wasn't a time to stop and negotiate.
    One gorgeous girl, offence to a gang, remote winding road; Stephanie was great, like part of me, we had ridden together before and to stop was simply not an option. The road was summer with some light gravel on wet tar and many corners posted 25mph., we got the full flower of my skill 2-up the only time I slid a bike under brakes that way and the 1973 Trident was very strong ... on the more open road we could make 11omph a fraction more than the 650s which had been at times only 50 metres behind.

Ironically, if I had dropped the bike and it would have been serious injury at those speeds, the gang guys would probably have been very good and respected Stephanie, if not me.

She married a lawyer and has 4 children in a good part of Auckland last I heard.
    When we were going 110+mph on the roads along the tidal flats near Nelson there were no chasing bikes left which could keep up. We went straight to a very small hotel I knew on the edge of the town; early evening there was a two bed room available, and I turned away while she undressed, she being 'with' my friend Murray.
    When about 18 months later she visted me in the Spinal Unit with her female friend Kerry, it was winter, and I was about 6 stone after not just the pnuemonia, but was paralysed T456. Stephanie was a strong girl ... she didn't like going to see me so low.

Riding back a few days later was sweet; Murray had broken an eye pulling a wine-cork. He was made blind for two days, then we rode the same road slower back to the ferry to Wellington, which was neat.
    Stephanie's father was a Ford dealer and bike-shop owner and he seriously did not like me, but it wasn't an issue; we borrowed her mother's 1100cc Morris and drove the 400 miles to Auckland for the Elton John concert 1973 and with me and three young girls got that thing there and back; I had only a couple of addresses for Ak but with the girls it wasn't a problem.
    The car had bearing-knock warm, and I nursed it as best I could, knowing the road well, but the old man blamed me for "thrashing" his car. His car. yeah, I nurtured the thing through all those hills 400 miles plus return, and the girls didn't care, except in the earthquake gullies we got a flat, and I fixed it in the summer sun.
    Steph's father was of the generation who fought in WW2., and didn't like me. I was he judged from a railway family which was not good enough, and me being up-front got on brilliantly with his wife, Steph's mother, with sherry and cigarettes. Stephanie saw right through it, and besides, I wasn't a good bet.

So that went nowhere. Kerry remained a good friend, but I haven't heard for years.

Apologies for long message.<<

Porsches being German they have no relevance except for rich people, the Mini driver oiught to be put down.... kindly of course, for being a complete idiot. OTOH all toy train buffs should get lots of money.

Porsches used to be genuinely elite cars - like Ferraris. The performance they offered (not just acceleration but also handling, braking and so on) were several steps above what other cars offered. So they were worth the money. In the 1970s (and even '80s) a 150 mph top speed was the Realm of the Gods.

But today?

You're buying status as much as performance; the ability to transmit the message, "look at what I can afford to spend on a car." After all, a $50,000 Corvette is a more capable machine than any Porsche anywhere near its price point, just as well built, safe, etc. - and by far a better value.

Thankyou.

I unashamedly use this forum as an editor, though few may read the unedited long stuff, it seems to be quite strong. Quite tricky to get into, also!

I went to school with the kind of people who became politicians and senior civil servants and then 'advisors' on contract to gummint. Coulda had a 956 for$1,000, but the modern Porsche is embarassing... rich old businessmen, no thanks. A girl can't enjoy one either, because everyone will think she is a kept woman.

... just as well built....

A quick look at their respective interiors would give a different impression.