Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    With discussion about putting genetic sequence into living cells;

    a last post from this fine pic of what JDM thinks ugly; it was not so standing on a freezing platform at Essendine with an up train 8 minutes late for London.. where whese 1960-ish trains regularly ran between 90 and 100mph.

    The second clip show a modern train nearer 170mph

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3NI2q88MA0&NR=1

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hip0Dqr9MmQ&NR=1

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Better go make some food; unless you have seen the men on the footplate in recent clips.

    This was life itself; hard and elementall.

    And we know nothing of Chopin...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    With discussion about putting genetic sequence into living cells;

    a last post from this fine pic of what JDM thinks ugly; it was not so standing on a freezing platform at Essendine with an up train 8 minutes late for London.. where whese 1960-ish trains regularly ran between 90 and 100mph.

    Ugly can be be an art, that is merely poor taste.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Ugly can be be an art, that is merely poor taste.
    Jealously.

    You guys can't run fast trains, since you use RRs to relieve pressure in crumbling freeways. This is the failure of the market as a solution to eveything.

    Besides, running an engine like that on the fast line long after all the support infrastructure is beyond art. It is simply impossible outside Britain; where most people over 45yrs have memories of steam trains.
    I have erred in that I show pics and clips of trains working hard on grades making what is a lot of ash and steam; not this poisonous shuff from cars diesels and aircraft and ships.

    Drag races this weekend. You could come and hold a placard about the mindless environmental pollution...

    Let's hope Hillary wins and brings in the 55mph law.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Here is a place on north London where some guy with a camera gets to show a wee kid what a steam train is like... mum is there too.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVL1_WDbdr4&NR=1

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Ugly can be be an art, that is merely poor taste.
    Jealously.

    You guys can't run fast trains, since you use RRs to relieve pressure in crumbling freeways. This is the failure of the market as a solution to eveything.

    Besides, running an engine like that on the fast line long after all the support infrastructure is beyond art. It is simply impossible outside Britain; where most people over 45yrs have memories of steam trains.
    I have erred in that I show pics and clips of trains working hard on grades making what is a lot of ash and steam; not this poisonous shuff from cars diesels and aircraft and ships.

    Drag races this weekend. You could come and hold a placard about the mindless environmental pollution...

    Let's hope Hillary wins and brings in the 55mph law.
    As long as there are memories of that stupid speed limit, I doubt if anyone will dare re-enact it.

    In any case, Hillary is too strongly disliked to win a national election and OBama or Osama or whatever his name is would be wise to return to Islam after this past week's disclosures of his pastor's hate America rants. Cactus John is going to be the next pres unless the Dems can come up with someone electable. How about Eliot Putzer as a Dem candidate?


  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Bloody Conservatives.

    I'm going back to my toy trains.

    The correct response to the man, woman and kid whem A4 60019 went through Hattfield, was,

    "shee.....it" [two posts back]

    2/10 Murff ...and it was only doling 60-ish uphill from King's Cross and we need a little more respect.

    that kid will remember it like old men remembered the High Sea Fleet... you'll be ruing the day when you went for petroleum, mark my words!

  8. #8
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,793

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Ugly can be be an art, that is merely poor taste.
    Jealously.

    You guys can't run fast trains, since you use RRs to relieve pressure in crumbling freeways. This is the failure of the market as a solution to eveything.

    Besides, running an engine like that on the fast line long after all the support infrastructure is beyond art. It is simply impossible outside Britain; where most people over 45yrs have memories of steam trains.
    I have erred in that I show pics and clips of trains working hard on grades making what is a lot of ash and steam; not this poisonous shuff from cars diesels and aircraft and ships.

    Drag races this weekend. You could come and hold a placard about the mindless environmental pollution...

    Let's hope Hillary wins and brings in the 55mph law.
    As long as there are memories of that stupid speed limit, I doubt if anyone will dare re-enact it.

    In any case, Hillary is too strongly disliked to win a national election and OBama or Osama or whatever his name is would be wise to return to Islam after this past week's disclosures of his pastor's hate America rants. Cactus John is going to be the next pres unless the Dems can come up with someone electable. How about Eliot Putzer as a Dem candidate?

    I think you be right, chief....

    McCain - and a Chimp third term by proxy - seems likely at this point....

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric

    McCain - and a Chimp third term by proxy - seems likely at this point....
    I think Obama might take it; he doesn't work by normal political rules.
    I want you guys to stay free traders

  10. #10
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,793

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric

    McCain - and a Chimp third term by proxy - seems likely at this point....
    I think Obama might take it; he doesn't work by normal political rules.
    I want you guys to stay free traders
    Obama is in trouble; there is concern about his attitudes on race - and whether he might just be a more discrete Jesse Jackson. Until he gets elected, that is.

    As for free trade - it's the very last thing we need. Free trade has laid waste this country; it is my fervent hope that "free trade" becomes as much an incitement to a good ass-whupping as publicly advocating pederasty.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    As for free trade - it's the very last thing we need. Free trade has laid waste this country; it is my fervent hope that "free trade" becomes as much an incitement to a good ass-whupping as publicly advocating pederasty.
    well, there we differ.

    Your country is based on trade from 1776., and if you have wealth and skill, trade it. If you cannot trade in an open market.... well some of the finest minds in NZ ARE us accent... some nazi-style people in gummint also, but no trade is NOT AN ANSWER.
    Try to please think what you guys do well and trade it.

    Offhand you have the finest military in the world, naval and air especially, and you are committed to freedom, freedom of trade, and you must please stay in a position to cause mutually assured destruction.
    You call free trade bad things; un huh, how did you grow from 1776?

  12. #12
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,793

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    As for free trade - it's the very last thing we need. Free trade has laid waste this country; it is my fervent hope that "free trade" becomes as much an incitement to a good ass-whupping as publicly advocating pederasty.
    well, there we differ.

    Your country is based on trade from 1776., and if you have wealth and skill, trade it. If you cannot trade in an open market.... well some of the finest minds in NZ ARE us accent... some nazi-style people in gummint also, but no trade is NOT AN ANSWER.
    Try to please think what you guys do well and trade it.

    Offhand you have the finest military in the world, naval and air especially, and you are committed to freedom, freedom of trade, and you must please stay in a position to cause mutually assured destruction.
    You call free trade bad things; un huh, how did you grow from 1776?
    I've explained this several times already; "trade" is one thing. "Free trade" (international labor arbitrage) another thing indeed. This county was not founded on "free trade" as it is understood/advocated today. Quite the opposite. Look it up. We used protective tariffs to protect our industries; and the government did all it could to encourage native industry and national self-sufficience; a trade balance that favored us, not foreign competitors. Curiously, we were a mighty nation so long as these policies were followed. The dollar became the "gold standard" of the world.

    All that has been pissed away by your "free trade" nonsense.

    The idea of adopting policies that would encourage the wholesale removal of manufacturing (and associated jobs) to other nations - in other words, the evisceration of our own productive capacity and ability to provide for ourselves - would have been anathema to the 1776 generation and many generations of Americans that followed.

    The syster shibboleths of "free trade" are a recent development; NAFTA, GATT have been wrecking balls - destroying once vital economies for the short-term profiteering of the corporate elites and their bag men in government.


  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg


    Your country is based on trade from 1776., and if you have wealth and skill, trade it.
    As happens, we are fresh out of both wealth and skill. The dollar will buy nothing and mediocrity would be a large improvement.

    Ain't nobody who reads, writes or talks Englsih, no more, neither.

    To hell with the English language, I'm going to learn either Strine or Cockney.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    The idea of adopting policies that would encourage the wholesale removal of manufacturing (and associated jobs) to other nations - in other words, the evisceration of our own productive capacity and ability to provide for ourselves - would have been anathema to the 1776 generation and many generations of Americans that followed.

    The syster shibboleths of "free trade" are a recent development; NAFTA, GATT have been wrecking balls - destroying once vital economies for the short-term profiteering of the corporate elites and their bag men in government.
    Ah, so it's all a plot, huh? I should have known,
    Those wicked Chinese and Japanese and German workers making cars at lower cost than Americans...

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    As happens, we are fresh out of both wealth and skill. The dollar will buy nothing and mediocrity would be a large improvement.

    Ain't nobody who reads, writes or talks Englsih, no more, neither.

    To hell with the English language, I'm going to learn either Strine or Cockney.
    You can't LEARN Strine. You have to have most contents of your brain removed.

    Can't speak for Cockneys... they're a weird lot down there...

  16. #16
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,793

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    The idea of adopting policies that would encourage the wholesale removal of manufacturing (and associated jobs) to other nations - in other words, the evisceration of our own productive capacity and ability to provide for ourselves - would have been anathema to the 1776 generation and many generations of Americans that followed.

    The syster shibboleths of "free trade" are a recent development; NAFTA, GATT have been wrecking balls - destroying once vital economies for the short-term profiteering of the corporate elites and their bag men in government.
    Ah, so it's all a plot, huh? I should have known,
    Those wicked Chinese and Japanese and German workers making cars at lower cost than Americans...
    Non sequitur.

    What it is is elites gaming the system to maximize their profits. Normally, the government runs interference and keeps that in check; but the same forces that run the multinational corporations also run the government. Also: Historically, it just wasn't feasible to uproot and transfer whole manufacturing systems to other lands, then re-import the (low cost) finished goods. That natural barrier fell with the advent of modern communications and information and transporation technology.


  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: New Machinery, beauty, Elemental.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric

    Non sequitur.

    What it is is elites gaming the system to maximize their profits. Normally, the government runs interference and keeps that in check; but the same forces that run the multinational corporations also run the government. Also: Historically, it just wasn't feasible to uproot and transfer whole manufacturing systems to other lands, then re-import the (low cost) finished goods. That natural barrier fell with the advent of modern communications and information and transporation technology.
    Logic has only a slight influence on trade, but we do tend to buy at the lowest and sell at the highest. So it's sequitur enough for me, except the small print requires my national borders and culture be respected...

    So most countries muddle along certainly with multinational corporations , or even families, running things within prescribed limits set by various gummints and statutes. Who is/are "elites gaming the system"? Are all corporations like this? Or just the big ones (Fiat, GM, Rumsfield and so on).

    In Britain you can still carry a message on a board in public places. "The End Is Nigh" used to be popular...

Similar Threads

  1. Beauty Queen with Pink Pistol.....
    By eesquared in forum Guns, Second Amendment
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-24-2013, 02:06 PM
  2. For machinery lovers
    By mrblanche in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 12:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •