Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $4 gasoline

Re: $4 gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Later on this week, I'm going to put some $2.799 gas in the car.

I have a 5 gallon jug in the garage that I filled several months ago, and I need to empty it prior to putting it in storage.

In the past I never thought of $2.799 a gallon of gas as beings cheap, but I'd give anything to pay that at the pump now. Last fillup for my commuter vehicle cost me around $70 to fillup my tank during the low point in the last ten years it cost me in the mid $20 range. And the way things are looking I might just be paying Mr. Monk's magic number of $100.00 at the pump if these prices keep rising (don't see anything to stop this trend).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Later on this week, I'm going to put some $2.799 gas in the car.

I have a 5 gallon jug in the garage that I filled several months ago, and I need to empty it prior to putting it in storage.

In the past I never thought of $2.799 a gallon of gas as beings cheap, but I'd give anything to pay that at the pump now. Last fillup for my commuter vehicle cost me around $70 to fillup my tank during the low point in the last ten years it cost me in the mid $20 range. And the way things are looking I might just be paying Mr. Monk's magic number of $100.00 at the pump if these prices keep rising (don't see anything to stop this trend).
    Getting worse here too Pete. I've just paid 16, roughly equivalent to $32/33 to top up my CBR600 tank.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Ken,

Wow, that's expensive.

Well, gas took a 20 cent jump today to average around $3.65.9 a gallon. I think a lot of this upward pressure is because of speculators. I'll bet the next week will be seeing a lot of changes in the way people drive. Eventually, the speculators will probably sell off and take a quick profit and prices will drop. It may be a while before it gets below $3 a gallon though. They are getting us used to the high prices and as long as we pay it, we'll be charged it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Getting worse here too Pete. I've just paid 16, roughly equivalent to $32/33 to top up my CBR600 tank.

Ken.
    My Dear Ken,

I doubt Americans 'get' that kind of price. It's outside the orbit of US minds.

I think we are looking at UKP1.20 per litre here and climbing, and feel rather sorry for you in the UK. I think we pay US$1.60/Litre or approx. $US6.40/US gallon for which we get free no-fault accident insurance (including toiurists) free education to age 18yrs and free health.

I think China-Asia demand for fuel rose something like 25% in the last short while...

Ya gotta feel a bit sorry for Americans who think cheap fuel is a birthright, just as they shot Bison for fun, and today, the South American system burns forests for quick profit.

I perosnally would like to find ways to get the energy from coal efficiently as a backup to other power sources but when I mentioned other forms of nuke (thorium I forget) the people here had never heard of it... but nuke power requires control of fuel and the capiltalist system does not like control ..

so tax the bastards

author=robmcg link=topic=4018.msg45043#msg45043 date=1209016017]

My Dear Ken,

I doubt Americans 'get' that kind of price. It's outside the orbit of US minds.

I think we are looking at UKP1.20 per litre here and climbing, and feel rather sorry for you in the UK. I think we pay US$1.60/Litre or approx. $US6.40/US gallon for which we get free no-fault accident insurance (including toiurists) free education to age 18yrs and free health.

If you are paying 1.20/ltr Rob, then you are paying more than I am. Current prices in this area range from 1.089 to 1.119/ltr.

I think China-Asia demand for fuel rose something like 25% in the last short while...

Ya gotta feel a bit sorry for Americans who think cheap fuel is a birthright, just as they shot Bison for fun, and today, the South American system burns forests for quick profit.

At least the one saving grace they have is that their gov't isn't taxing them at the equivalent of 63.7p/$1.27 per ltr.

I personally would like to find ways to get the energy from coal efficiently as a backup to other power sources but when I mentioned other forms of nuke (thorium I forget) the people here had never heard of it... but nuke power requires control of fuel and the capiltalist system does not like control ..

so tax the bastards.

You mean treat them the same as our government treats us? Sorry, I wouldn't wish our government and its policies on Adolph Hitler, having spent some time in the states I quite like those guys/gals and I think they have enough problems as it is.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

That will mean $75 fill-ups for the average small car; $100-plus for a mid-sized SUV.

Not when done right.

If you fill up when the gauge is above the 3/4 mark, it costs a lot less than that. I use plastic and never look at the numbers on the pump - my wife writes the checks, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    author=robmcg link=topic=4018.msg45043#msg45043 date=1209016017]

If you are paying 1.20/ltr Rob, then you are paying more than I am. Current prices in this area range from 1.089 to 1.119/ltr.

so tax the bastards.

You mean treat them the same as our government treats us? Sorry, I wouldn't wish our government and its policies on Adolph Hitler, having spent some time in the states I quite like those guys/gals and I think they have enough problems as it is.

Ken.
    Oops I made an error. Very very rare thing for me! <g> We sare paying UKP0.60/ltr. here in GodZone. About 1/3rd of that is tax.

I too have met excellent people from America, but they DO need to be curbed.

Y'all,

Trying not to be too much of a contrarian, but could someone please explain to me why they think we as individuals or this country or even this planet are better off having unlimited, indefinite access to cheap energy, other than the fact that we really like it..

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael

Trying not to be too much of a contrarian, but could someone please explain to me why they think we as individuals or this country or even this planet are better off having unlimited, indefinite access to cheap energy, other than the fact that we really like it..
    Well said.

I don't think any changes we make to fuel styles can negate the fact that 6 billion people -> 10 billion will want, by and large, to live in comfort and warmth with a car. And this will happen.
    Even if we stopped CO2 net emmission tomorrow the planet would would not change.

Cheap energy? That's coal.

Well-built coal stations together with market.

I think nukes are a poor alternative given the immorality of capitalism as practiced and the likelihood of religious nutters getting the bomb.

To ameliorate coal we can build wind and maybe tidal, and oil will be less-and-less the cheap fuel, but the electric-personal mobility thing will work only when it makes everyday sense in America, and V8 will be treated much the same as steam trains are now treated.
    In the UK cities as far as London Aberdeen in 1895 were connected at over 60mph average. In France all major cities had scheduled reliable trains at 100mph av quite recently which was very competitive with air when you take the city-airport thing into account... but those trains are pretty boring.

I myself knew men who fired and drove trains after WW2., and they write about approaching London and into fog c1948-50.
    'Walking' a train with about 30' visibility. Everyone blamed the railways, much like people blame airlines now.

Sometimes at about 10mph (the drivers were so familiar with the track, the junctions, that in some areas detonators were put on the track) being timed for 60mpg-ish this meant late arrival. After over eight hours or more since signing on these guys were expected to jump down and climb straight onto a fresh engine with a 'named train' from Marylebone to Sheffield, top link prestige train.
    Only the very fittest men did this, and they loved their work, as did the usually very fit firemen.

Firemen would shift four tons on a shaking footplate in dark in as many hours, drivers would exchange roles, what better learning?

The last trains like this were in 1964.

These engines produced a regular 1,400hp drawnbar pull, sustained, with maybe 12 cars behind including full restaurant.

i'll pick a couple of youtubes; the first is just the cup of tea as an engine accelerated upgrade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXObF...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yulnqaP_cc8

Coal power at its most effiicient... well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB3zxxcO608

and a nice everyday video of everday... the best things were never recorded; who had a camera?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVouSsJSMfQ

Y'all,

According to this article, our friends in Great Britain are now paying 5-pounds per gallon (approx $9.91). Yikes! Unaffordable gasoline is coming to a station near you.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    Y'all,

According to this article, our friends in Great Britain are now paying 5-pounds per gallon (approx $9.91). Yikes! Unaffordable gasoline is coming to a station near you.

Michael
    Yes and a lot of that is taxes and price speculation. Nevertheless it seems the US is singularly unable to adapt to higher gasoline and diesel prices. I think the natural market in the US would put gas at about US $3.00 per gallon and rising, but that allows little for roading and infrastructure costs.

FWIW the Youtube links I sent a couple of messages ago show a steam locomotive designed and built in 1952-3. The engine in the mist was the only one of its kind, with standardised parts and design were to be part of a larger number, but the British Transport Commission decided to go with electric and diesel electric railways, to replace the 20,000 steam locomotives.
    In the 1st video link the engine is making something between 75 and 90mph on level ground. The fastest locomotives is such situations rarely exceeded 90mph., to travel on one or even behind one was something you don't easily forget. These were hand-fired and could haul 500 passengers in reasonable comfort for about 30lb coal/mile and the tender behind the cab carried up to 5,000 gallons of water, used at a rate where such a train had a range of only about 150 miles, but water troughs were fitted between the tracks on level ground, and runs of 400 miles were made non-stop.
    I make models of British steam but have never been to England, I travelled on steam locomotives in the last days of steam in the 1960s. Then I went to university and there was Vietnam. and women...

I always loved steam. You can count on me to edit-out the rubbish on Youtube and find reasonable depictions of the real almosphere of those old days.

US steam was a lot more 'industrial' after WW2... the Brits and NZ used it till about 40 years ago and yes, it feels like yesterday.

One thing not apparent in pics and video was the awful working conditions, the long hours, it took usually 20 years work before you were allowed to drive an express. The elemental nature of coal and water as energy was never better expressed than by the British trains of the 1950s. And in that clip?

And we built Spitfires in our spare time.

All through WW2 Britain built new steam engines, but as a concessioin to wartime limited driving-wheel diameter to 6' 2"....Mechanised war was successful for Hitler in 1940 but he could not get full air cover for the invasion/occupation of England, and the German bombing raids of 1940-41 were by dint of NZer Keith Park's insistence that air defence be spread over many Squadron bases, the bombing was terrible enough in cities that even though at first the Germans took few losses, the trend was that by autumn 1941 losses would be greater.

Sorry about the rant.

Remember this was before the US went to war, but after German expansion into Poland.

Germans had made the finest mechanised army ever. The British Army was barely able to evacuate from Dunkirk. They Germans were able to dominate the skies, with 100 bomber raids over British insustrial sites and maybe 3 or 4 bombers lost.

It's unclear when Britain started to take random bombing on residential streets, but small numbers of Hurricanes and Spitfires were operational basically from rural fields, and German bombers based in Belgium could reach Belfast.

Then Germany attacked Russia. Siurely this mechanised war could not be countered?

Then the NZers in Greece had got out to Crete, with the sacrifice of about 800 innovative men against Panzers and Stukas, held them at Thermapolye, just as the Greeks held against Persians.
    In Crete we got beaten again. In 1941 it was still mostly Royal Navy, but on Crete we got no air-cover and retreated to Egypt. Two Divisions in bits. The Royal Navy took us off that island, and it all looked pretty grim.

Then Hitler out most effort into his war with Russia, and only Malta was left.

Humphrey Lyttleton said it best.
    "I have no idea what this is about."

Here is what this train was like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pbi5rvEGZE

poor film, running about 55mph and a touch of brakes for a longiish steel bridge, the link has many better things.

After the bridge the train is on super-elevated track, which is banked track for curves, and in the 1950s this train did not stop here, running through at every chance in all weather, the driver is completely a master, a single application of brakes, put into lap, then drawing to a stop.
    The engine J 1211 was built in Glasgow in 1939 and shipped here in 1940... with 40 similar.

Not many left which run on coal, it's all diesel electric now, and some oil-fired steam.

building and running a fire for such as British trains was an art-form, and was part of a complex thing. We built our own engines too, in our wn workshops, mostly closed now.

here is the same engine on earthquake prone land

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Uef...eature=related

This is a standing start on a 2% upgrade and the line is uneconomic and about to be closed, but has not been closed yet. Since roads are expensive.
    The engine still has streamlining and is coal fired.

The people who built these machines are mostly all dead now, their skills mostly gone, but the boiler level on this start was OK at barely an inch below top; cylinders are washed with steam , and not a single element of oil beyond lubrication.

sorry three posts in a row .I'll go away now.

with unashamedly a bit tearful, because I was a part of it all when it was real everyday life, not the trains now, but more like a very short bit at the end of the tape, and pairs of 4-8-4s used to haul trans, while the Beatles sang "Love me Do".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clQ6R...eature=related

$4 gasoline?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISWK...eature=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p9BM...eature=related ...since JDM rode this route in 2005 without seeing it this way. The line carries 3 million tons of coal for Japan every year, oi knew it when it was steam...
    p3 'ere mate
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnL34...eature=related,

I owned land at the base of this line, and took my dog down to the station where single crew lines of EMDs stopped sometimes. it is beautiful country, very harsh, with extremes. My neighbour was a ganger, and the line doesn't have roads near it. He dropped dead with heart at 42yrs after being perfectly well.
    The linlks require a bit of time.

here is a silent film
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxte3...eature=related

here is your train JDM again.

The sound of 24 GM cylinders pushing at the rear... still going still with 12 to 15 cars, and renewed contract with Japan for 3 million tons of coal per year+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY_F0CYa5nk&NR=1