Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: I Cannot See America

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    I Cannot See America

    We in NZ can grow enough fuel as we need, but live mostly by trade.

    America spends trillions as a quasi-colonial oil-consuming country, leaderless.

    What is worrying is that you people appear not to want leadership or gummint. You have NO IDEA what the loan market is doing, you bitch and moan about GWB AND prospective replacements...

    talk about the English complaining about the weather...


    the free world is in danger mostly because of capitalist greed. America is no longer a guide to good conduct.

    Hurrumph!

  2. #2
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,741

    Re: I Cannot See America

    "What is worrying is that you people appear not to want leadership or gummint. "

    That we have problems is clear; that the solution is government isn't evident to me. Indeed, the problems we face right now are precisely because of government; specifically, a system of spoils and patronage and corporatism that have allowed shyster elites to loot and fleece the country for their benefit.

    These same interests control the government - so why would the solution come from that nest of vipers? All we'll get is more authoritarianism and less freedom. The idiot masses, however, will beg for just that I fear.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: I Cannot See America

    Dunno this source, but it expresses some of your ideas...


    http://www.slate.com:80/id/2186547/

  4. #4
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,741

    Re: I Cannot See America

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Dunno this source, but it expresses some of your ideas...


    http://www.slate.com:80/id/2186547/
    Yes.. good stuff.

    Our country has been hijacked by mercenary elites; these of course have always existed but the difference today is the government is both incompetent beyond belief and completely controlled by these same mercenary elites. Add to the mix a dumbed-down/addled population more interested in fuhhhhtball, TV evangelists and "American idol" than keeping up with hard news or history - let alone demanding accountability from their government - and what we have is a recipe for we're about to be eating.

    Which is shit.

    A great big smelly pile of it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: I Cannot See America

    So McCain or the perfect demicracy and hope from Obama?

    I vote by my back pocket, (McCain free trade) but yoiu never know what non-voters may do this September

  6. #6
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,741

    Re: I Cannot See America

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    So McCain or the perfect demicracy and hope from Obama?

    I vote by my back pocket, (McCain free trade) but yoiu never know what non-voters may do this September
    Look at our stats in re manufacturing, high-wage jobs and so on Since NAFTA and GATT, we have seen massive losses of both good jobs as well as the evisceration of our manufacturing base. It is a disaster. "Free trade" is a con. Economic nationalism - including heavy tariffs on goods made in low-wage second and third world countries like China and India - is what we need.

    If it's not already too damn late.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: I Cannot See America

    I don't detect much optomism there, my friend.

    Go for a run... take a leaping happy dog with ya.

  8. #8
    MikeHalloran
    Guest

    Re: I Cannot See America

    Not much cause for optimism.

    Not least because of the dearth of Presidential candidates who are even remotely presidential.


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: I Cannot See America

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran
    Not much cause for optimism.

    Not least because of the dearth of Presidential candidates who are even remotely presidential.

    Yes but Eric appears to be against free trade. And I thought that was whole idea of the US. And Thomas Jefferson's eyes never strayed, too.

  10. #10
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,741

    Re: I Cannot See America

    " And I thought that was whole idea of the US."

    Actually, that's not the case at all. This country has historically been protectionist; it has used tariffs and other polices to encourage and build our industry, promote job growth here. Economic nationalism built America.

    This "free trade" shibboleth is an invention of modern multinational corporate capitalism, a species of bacilli that is going to kill this once-great country and (as Jefferson put it) leave "...(today's Americans) homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

  11. #11
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,741

    Re: I Cannot See America

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    I don't detect much optomism there, my friend.

    Go for a run... take a leaping happy dog with ya.
    No reason for it. unfortunately.

    And my wife and I have it "good" (we don't have debt, we own our home, etc.) But that's only going to be so much help when the whole edifice comes crashing down, which it just may.

    Only the uber-rich will be safe.

    I am glad we chose not to have kids....


  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: I Cannot See America

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric

    And my wife and I have it "good" (we don't have debt, we own our home, etc.) But that's only going to be so much help when the whole edifice comes crashing down, which it just may.

    Only the uber-rich will be safe.

    I am glad we chose not to have kids....

    The uber-rich have more potential problems than one might think, a food supply being one of them. The agricultural trades are wide open to you, chicken stealing is traditional in your area and a source of good low fat protein.

    Do you have the Foxfire books?

  13. #13
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,741

    Re: I Cannot See America

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric

    And my wife and I have it "good" (we don't have debt, we own our home, etc.) But that's only going to be so much help when the whole edifice comes crashing down, which it just may.

    Only the uber-rich will be safe.

    I am glad we chose not to have kids....

    The uber-rich have more potential problems than one might think, a food supply being one of them. The agricultural trades are wide open to you, chicken stealing is traditional in your area and a source of good low fat protein.

    Do you have the Foxfire books?
    We actually have the chicken thing covered already! (13 hens, one rooster.)

    Have not heard of the Foxfire books... will check into it....

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: I Cannot See America

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    " And I thought that was whole idea of the US."

    Actually, that's not the case at all. This country has historically been protectionist; it has used tariffs and other polices to encourage and build our industry, promote job growth here. Economic nationalism built America.

    This "free trade" shibboleth is an invention of modern multinational corporate capitalism, a species of bacilli that is going to kill this once-great country and (as Jefferson put it) leave "...(today's Americans) homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Maybe economic nationalism works for you, or worked for you, but we in NZ used to trade primarily with the UK... after WW2 until 1970-ish, but now we have to trade on a more open world market, and I find trade protectionism another name for subsidies...inefficient.

    What's this about "conquering" a land? "Settle" land maybe...?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: I Cannot See America

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric


    Have not heard of the Foxfire books... will check into it....
    I'm sure that you'll find some things of interest.

  16. #16
    MikeHalloran
    Guest

    Re: I Cannot See America

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    What's this about "conquering" a land? "Settle" land maybe...?
    It wasn't completely unpopulated when our ancestors arrived.
    There was a skirmish or two.
    You may have heard.


  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: I Cannot See America

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    What's this about "conquering" a land? "Settle" land maybe...?
    It wasn't completely unpopulated when our ancestors arrived.
    There was a skirmish or two.
    You may have heard.

    Yes, and the land was hard and cruel ... it's just I don't go well with idea of "conquering" land. When settlers came to NZ they tended not to kill the existing residents, who were quite good at war amongst themselves and life was hard for everyone, we killed more Maori with disease... possibly partly so in the US.
    Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee

Similar Threads

  1. This is what America will end up like...
    By Eric in forum The Third Rail...
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-30-2010, 08:35 AM
  2. How Is America Going To End?
    By dBrong in forum Survival/Economic Collapse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 11:18 AM
  3. What was America?
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 07:10 AM
  4. America, Why I love Her
    By gail in forum Secession Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 07:30 PM
  5. Jealous of America
    By robmcg in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 01:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •