Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee alarm system

DonTom

97 Jeep Grand Cherokee alarm system

By any chance does anybody here happen to know where the hood switch is located in a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

I think mine MIGHT be stuck closed (as if hood is open), but I cannot find it. Or short to ground on the wire, which I also cannot find.

I have the Factory Service Manual and it gives no clue where the hood switch is located. The only useful information is that it goes to a brown/tan wire to a connector (in a difficult area under the IP) with about ten other multi-wire connectors.

The problem is that it keeps the interior lights on, so I have to disconnect the battery if I stop for more than a few minutes. This Jeep has not been used for a month or so and the battery was dead because of this. Seems the problem started while it just sat parked.

Seems the interior lights will not time out as when I charged the battery and locked all the doors, the interior lights stayed on for more than a half hour, so then I disconnected the battery.

-Don-

mrblanche

Re: 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee alarm system

Didn't we have a long discussion on this line about a...Mustang, I think it was?

It may be a mercury switch, located on the hood.

DonTom

"Didn't we have a long discussion on this line about a...Mustang, I think it was?"

Yes, on that vehicle (1999 Ford Mustang convertible) I only had to oil the door latch to fix it. I tried the oil trick on the Jeep. It was no help.

" may be a mercury switch, located on the hood."

Whatever it is, there's no clue where it's located. Not even in the factory service manual.

For now, I will just have to disconnect the battery every time I stop for more than a few minutes.

-Don-

DonTom

I now don't even believe that there really is a hood switch for the alarm. Perhaps the previous owner bypassed it for whatever reason. It cannot be in the hood because there's only two wires coming from the entire hood and that's for the hood lamp socket which is broken with no lamp (and there is no brown/tan wire).

The other possibilities would be the latch or and where the hood meets when closed. But no wires, no switches anywhere.

I will look at it again when I get back from my week long backpacking trip (starting tomorrow). I am taking this Jeep, but I will just have to disconnect the battery every time I stop for long.

-Don-

MikeHalloran

FWIW, here's a diagnostic procedure that may help:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl903h.htm

I'd expect the switch to be far from the hinge line, possibly near (or part of) the latch, and I'd check the possibility that it may have fallen off, and is dangling from its harness (possibly the headlight harness).

Don Tom,

I have a '94 GC. Is your hood not latching down. The latch on my '94 is cable (mechanical) no electronic wires your '97 should be the same way. Don't see how it is possible to have the interior lights on when the hood latch is not working.

Have you tried running the built in Mopar diagnostics to see if you get a problem code?

Which interior light is on, when the engine is off and the battery is connected?

Pete

DonTom

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran
    FWIW, here's a diagnostic procedure that may help:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl903h.htm

I'd expect the switch to be far from the hinge line, possibly near (or part of) the latch, and I'd check the possibility that it may have fallen off, and is dangling from its harness (possibly the headlight harness).

I checked most closely in the latch area. Nothing there other than the cable to operate the latch. I also checked for any loose anything anywhere. No luck. I did look at the website, thanks, but I didn't find anything helpful.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Don Tom,

I have a '94 GC. Is your hood not latching down. The latch on my '94 is cable (mechanical) no electronic wires your '97 should be the same way. Don't see how it is possible to have the interior lights on when the hood latch is not working.

Have you tried running the built in Mopar diagnostics to see if you get a problem code?

Which interior light is on, when the engine is off and the battery is connected?

Pete

He's talking about the switch for the alarm system, not the latch for the hood release.

DonTom

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Don Tom,

Pete

Hood latches just fine. Also no wires on my hitch.

When the key is OUT (or Ignition OFF) ALL the interior lights stay on (and will not time out) if alarm is tempted to be set or not. If engine is started, all the interior lights go out and operate normally (can then be turned on & off).

If I try to set the alarm, it acts as if a door is left open. It will still lock and unlock the doors from the remote. The Panic button is NOT working (it uses the alarm).

The display shows no doors open, but I don't think it can indicate for the hood up. The owner's manual only mentions the rear latches and doors as displaying.

Today, I did discover something interesting. The hood light socket has it's own internal "liquid on/off switch" which is BROKEN. However, so far, there is no evidence that the alarm hood switch has anything to do with this hood lamp switch. It seems to only operate the lamp itself and has the incorrect color wires for the alarm according to the factory service manual. Besides, the socket is fed by an always on 12 volts, showing it's not possible to be used for the alarm as there is no way for it to sense that the lamp is on (unless something detects current draw, which I seriously doubt).

The alarm will not set, just as if a door is open. No indication ever on the led on the dash, it always stays off.

-Don-

DonTom

"He's talking about the switch for the alarm system, "

The alarm is set by the remote whenever "lock" is pressed. The remote will lock and unlock the doors, but it won't (but should) set the alarm. The red "panic" is doing nothing, which should sound off the alarm instantly.

-Don-

MikeHalloran

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    Besides, the socket is fed by an always on 12 volts, showing it's not possible to be used for the alarm as there is no way for it to sense that the lamp is on (unless something detects current draw, which I seriously doubt).
    It's not particularly difficult for a microprocessor to sense or measure current.

Try disconnecting the tilt switch from the harness; if that fixes the problem, replace it or leave it disconnected.

DonTom

"It's not particularly difficult for a microprocessor to sense or measure current."

True, but it doesn't work that way according to the service manual. And besides, the hood lamp has not been in the socket for years (and the alarm worked without the lamp) so there is no change in current to detect.

"Try disconnecting the tilt switch from the harness; if that fixes the problem, replace it or leave it disconnected."

I already did (since I discovered that the lamp tilt switch is broken.)

-Don-

DonTom,

Does your Grand Cherokee have the package where the interior lights come for a few seconds when you unlock the doors?

Also is your alarm system the factory alarm system that beeps the horn if activated?

If the answer these questions is yes, I would try running the mopar diagnostics. It's built into your GC. Let me know if you don't know the sequence to activate it and I will post it here.

DonTom

"Does your Grand Cherokee have the package where the interior lights come for a few seconds when you unlock the doors? "

Yes.

"Also is your alarm system the factory alarm system that beeps the horn if activated?"

Yes.

"If the answer these questions is yes, I would try running the mopar diagnostics. It's built into your GC. Let me know if you don't know the sequence to activate it and I will post it here."

If it's the three times fast to the accessory position, it doesn't work on the 1997 and I found no mention of such in the service manual. If it's something else, please let me know and I will try it.

However, I may not be back on line for a week. I will leave for a one week backpacking trip on Sunday morning. We would be there now, but didn't want to set up in heavy rain, so ended up at our Reno home and will leave in six hours or so from now.

-Don- (Reno)

Have you considered taking it to the dealer?

mrblanche

Wow, now there's a wild idea.

And I notice Don is disappearing, now he's the forum moderator!

DonTom

"Have you considered taking it to the dealer?"

I would junk it before I would do that!

-Don-

DonTom

"And I notice Don is disappearing, now he's the forum moderator!"

I am here one more night because of rain. Then gone for the rest of the week.

-Don- (Reno)

Don Tom,

I still looking for the code sequence, I should find it before you get back from vacation.

If you can afford two home, and can afford a ~$90,000 motor home, surely you can afford to simply take the Jeep to a shop and say "please fix this", no???