Thread: Rob Reminds JDM of the Girl in Lyttleton

Rob Reminds JDM of the Girl in Lyttleton

Well,

things are very tricky for we kids who had the misfortune of being young while these trains were normal everyday.

This video although has some of it, none of it as part of the mind of the Girl in Lyttleton, except she was JUST LIKE the girls who used to work the refreshment rooms spaced ever 50 miles-or-so, so that engines could be watered or changed...

The scectacle of working hard upgrade was spectactular, in evening light watching an old 1915 loco dragging a large more modern one, me nine carriages back seeing the flash of the firebox on the coal-fired older engine as they dragged 16 heavy passenger cars towards the REALLY serious 22-mile climb from there/ these restored ones are are towing their own water and fuel , and it ain't quite the same, and also, in the old days, the driver used to let the engines really fly, hardly any visible exhaust, and with a stopwatch counting wheelbeats in 34 sec = with 42ft rail / 12 was getting fast, 14 was great, you could begin to see carriages rock and roll and at 15 nobody believed you because luggaga had fallen from the overhead racks... and a worried guard was up and down the aisle saying , "he's mad" under his breath.

The guard may have known that my snoozing father had been responsible for setting timetables...

All was resolved when one WW2 'nutter' threw a rod at maybe 65-70+mph with the heavy stopping overnigher and without a blink had used the tools on the engine at 5am with two expresses about 40 minutes behind, calmly unbolted the destroyed motion on one side and using the grade got the engine running on one cylinder to the next large station 15 miles away, and we just had pulled in there a younger fresher train, "The Limited", came through Marton, 115 milees from Wellington, whiistled a couple of 'pops' as it passed our defunct engine, and still dead on time left a feather of steam exhaust...

Mick Balfour never did get the hang of going slow. The Desert Groups in WW2 or something.... but he lasted until 1966 at least... I have film of him, silent, alas, with only a very short clip taken from the rear of the train at speed... but it's on CD now.

I think he knew me, without ever acknowledging it when he came into Pamly with 14 on in the last days
    and Palmerston north was a water stop and 10 minutes refreshments but I think being midsummer there was a delay with refreshments and I took three or four four photos on my nearly new Regular Sprinty B 35mm and with no exhaust they looked a bit boring, until he got the green and had that engine accelerating with such force that even I was amazed. 30mph by the time the last carriage left the platform, which is phenomenal with one engine 4 axles driiving and 450 tons behind, *and* many passengers carrying tea or ham sandwiches ...
    Poor Mick, if I had full video in hi-res of that event, women would weep, ... I think they left him on to demonstrate things to younger driver; he used to drive 4-8-4s in excactly the same way I was a very fast motorbike rider; approach, read, finger over brakes, full on under brakes at the limit damn the 2nd class; feather full regulato, and yank on valve-regulator towards 40% ., throttle touched looking back no obvious drama , engine rocking but already under power, slightly ahead of the next corner, airbrakes on, the engine surging a touch of air, and roll into this next reverse curve.

And bank through the last tunnel, already in the airless roaring choking dark you pull the regulator around and she is getting very farst now, back to 30% the fireman seems OK with me and he says something to me, there was the soft land with speed restriction, he put more fire on, he could see I still had the regulator steady and just notched-off
    air-brakes and hell, he did get the train down to 40mph... but with regulator so high I looked at him we or he stamped on the sander pedal lips curled with pleasure,, a foggy pre-dawn, and with air still in lap a and engine roariing got a green at Ohangaiti, mostly straight througn Moera... the intial speed with the train, the old man left it at 40% until the engine was a bit riough; he went back to only 25% still accelerating, only a few miles left to Marton.
    Where back on time a few passengers took refreshments.
    Then he took it quiet to Palmy. I think he was tired.
    He let the fireman have a go through Halcombe, but took over again for a stop at Fielding.

He might have been a bit tired...

The below link says nothing about the subteties

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clQ6RwsMGUM&NR=1

Re: Rob Reminds JDM of the Girl in Lyttleton

I ACTUALLY prefer Chopin...

Or sometihng to do with good music...
    I don't actually carry a camera very oftem, but it seems to cause trouble whenever I do.

This is what is being me threw a Pentax SV one day , 20 years ago, but it has zero to do with machien.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Well,

things are very tricky for we kids who had the misfortune of being young while these trains were normal everyday.

Aha! That explains your problem: you have no idea of the notion of "normal."

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

I was discussing this with Lorna, in a roundabout way, this morning.
    I always used to get on well with the mothers of girlfriends, but rarely with the father... regardless of the relationship with the girl.
    We thought it might have been something to do with father-daughter things, not helped by me arriving at 4.30pm and sharing cigarettes and sherry with the mother until she said, "Would you like to stay for dinner, Robbie?"

Then with some 12yr-old kid in the family watching me fire up the Norton at 9pm well-fed, it would be a cool night and I would disappear around the bay, with a nice downchange into 2nd for some corner.

And I came from a large railway family in an *expensive* part of town, which kinda confused things, even though I lived in a rambling semi-hippie style house in Wellington central...

More fun to disect your own travels through the labyrinth...

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm

I was discussing this with Lorna, in a roundabout way, this morning.
    I always used to get on well with the mothers of girlfriends, but rarely with the father... regardless of the relationship with the girl.
    Pay attention, this is the answer to everything you ever wanted to know about people:

All women are crazy

All men are fourteen

A fair summation...

The nurse who dresses the pressure wound on my much fractured knee would not agree, however. Louisa has taken to sometimes wearing a rather attractive top on the hotter days, and when she works I have to look away..
    She also professes no interest in old trains, which is course inconceivable.

See? Your quite plausible explanation of life might be true, but will it get her nickers down?

Hypothetically, of course.