Thread: V8 Pacer - a very rare car

V8 Pacer - a very rare car

Here's a Pacer I would not mind driving. It's a very rare factory original 304 CID V8 Pacer:

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: V8 Pacer - a very rare car

Sweet!

I, too, would not object to owning this car...

Staff

I was waiting for the guy to do a burn out. That Pacer sounded sweet. I didn't know that the pacer came with a V8 until just now reading Wikipedia. AMC put a V8 into the car in 1978.

Henry,

AMC was pretty good about dropping V8s in even their smallest cars in the 1970s. Even the Gremlin (which was the size of the Chevrolet Chevette) had a V8 option. The Chevette never got anything bigger than a 4 cylinder motor. AMC also dropped V8s in its Hornet and even in the Jeep CJ5 and CJ7. However once CAFE ratings took hold the V8's disappeared and the AMC straight 6 and 4 were the only game in town a few years into the 1980s. By 1984 the only AMC vehicles with V8s were the AMC 2bbl 360 CID V8 powered Grand Wagoneer and the J series Truck.

Could you imagine building up a AMC 401 V8 with around 400 horsepower and dropping it in that Pacer? The AMC 304/360/401 all have the same exterior dimensions (and look the same from the outside) only difference is the bore and stroke inside. A 400 horsepower 401 CID Pacer would be a real screamer. Talk about something that would blow the doors off a new Mustang GT, the owner of the GT would cry for a week after a defeat like that. ;D

Staff

You got that right. I drove a Gremlin back in high school. It was 1974 with the 258 I-6 1bbl.

It was very quick from 0-30. You could even smoke the tires while turining. The thing was a dog above 40 mph.

It got 17 mpg regardless of whether you were driving in the city or at highway speeds.

My dad almost ordered a 304 V8 model good for 150 HP in 1974 but didn't because of the fuel crunch or maybe there wasn't one
    on the lot. I wish he would have.

Those cars handled surprisingly well and were pretty comfortable for their day.

They rattled like hell though. So did mine. When my dad bought it in 1974, it was the same color as the one in the commercial.

Check it out out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zm7Jam2phTk

Thanks for posting the video. When I was growing up a neighbor down the street had a "Plum Crazy" (purple) 304 powered Gremlin (you could see the car a mile away). It was always so funny to hear the tiny car go down the street with its muffled V8 exhaust sound whereas my parents had bought a new VW Dasher at the time which was bigger than the Gremlin and yet it had a tiny 1.6 Liter fuel injected 4 banger under the hood.

Here's a guy with a souped up 1976 Gremlin X 360 which runs 12.4 in the 1/4 mile - faster than a new Shelby Mustang Cobra GT500:

I wouldn't compare the Gremlin to a Chevette, it's at least a whole size-class bigger. It was a Hornet with the trunk chopped off, and the Hornet was a Nova-sized car.

misterd,

The Gremlin was much smaller than the Hornet, the Gremlin had only a 96" wheelbase vs. the Hornet's 108" wheelbase. The Gremlin was only 161" long (the Hornet was 179.3" long). The Chevette had a length of 164 to 166" (depending on if it was a 3-door or 5-door version), so technicallly the Chevette was a little bigger than the Gremlin.

specs on the Gremlin:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Gremlin

specs on the Hornet:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Hornet

Well, the Gremlin WAS a Hornet, minus the trunk and a few inches of wheelbase.

MisterD,

Not really. Though the Gremlin was based the Hornet platform with a much shorter wheelbase, no exterior body panels are shared between the two cars. The new 2008 Dodge Challenger is based on the Dodge Charger platform with a much shorter wheelbase. Would you consider a Challenger a Charger? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Here's a Pacer I would not mind driving. It's a very rare factory original 304 CID V8 Pacer:
    That's in great shape.
    All the other Pacers I've seen have succumbed to rust and time.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Well, the Gremlin WAS a Hornet, minus the trunk and a few inches of wheelbase.

Actually, most of the car was a Hornet based unit with the rear seat cut out. The trunk was enlarged to be a hatch back for at least a little storage capacity. It was built the same way the Javelin became the AMX. Detroit has used shortening an already extant design for years. When I ran a salvage yard in the early 80's, we sold a lot of parts off one for the other. Granted, the doors were unique and the fenders were slightly tweaked to fit the doors but mechanically, they were the same car pretty much.

This is still used today. Chrysler took the 5.2 engine and made the 3.9 6 banger out of it. They cut the back half off the front two cylinders and the front half off the second pair. This meant they didn't have to design or use different water pumps, timing chains, chain covers alternator brackets and so on. The current 3.7 came from the 4.7 the same way.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.