Thread: Job change may require a new vehicle

Job change may require a new vehicle

I don't think I've mentioned this, but my current contract is up in July, and I'm wanting to do some travelling around the US. So I've told the contracting firm to look for jobs anywhere BUT in North Carolina.

The idea is to pack up the car and drive to the next job (I'll rent out my townhouse in Raleigh). Ideally, the client will pay for a corporate apartment so costs will be fairly low.

The problem is that I don't think I can get everything I'll need into the CR-V. I'll have 6 plastic storage totes of computers, clothes, a cherished frying pan & kitchen knife set, and important papers, etc. I'll also need to carry along a large suitcase in case I need to fly back to see the parents. And then the cat will need her litter box, food, water dish, etc. I'll also be bringing along my mountain bike.

So I'm thinking of selling/trading the CR-V in on something larger. Right now I'm considering a Honda Ridgeline, or a Ford Expedition.

• The Honda has the advantage of the in-bed trunk, a (relatively) fuel-sipping V-6, unibody construction, 4x4, and Honda reliability.
    • The Ford has the advantage of being in easy supply right now, and my cargo will stay out of the weather. But it's got a thirsty V-8 and Ford's questionable reliability.

Opinions? Or additional vehicles I haven't considered?

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Re: Job change may require a new vehicle

Downsize your possessions, or get a trailer.

I'm already leaving three of the computers behind, and I've been filling up the trash bin weekly with stuff I should have thrown out long ago.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Staff

I would see if a Dodge Magnum wagon has more space than the CRV. If so, that would be a hell of a highway cruiser while offering the space you need.

If you don't have an image problem like some of the viewers here do, a mini-van has all the space for your goodies and delivers decent gas mileage!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

On the Ridgeline: I would bet this is one of the few Honda vehicles you could negotiate a lower than MSRP deal on right now! Subjective opinion - it's ok so long as you don't confuse it with a truck. It is versatile - lots of storage cubies/room in the bed) but its HD capability is much less than a "real" truck. Keep in mind the "4wd" is really AWD. No two-speed transfer case. And - despite the V-6, it is a pig also. Its real world mileage is going to be about what you'd see with a mid-sized SUV such as the Explorer.

Explorer: It's a decent mid-sized SUV with real-deal 4WD. But it's thirsty, doesn't handle especially well - and the current design's a bit long in the tooth.

Have you looked at the new GM seven passenger crossovers - Enclave, Acadia, etc? These are really nice - and have plenty of room as well as AWD. Might be a bit too big, though.

Another "possible" - the base model VW Touareg....

Another "possible" - the base model VW Touareg....
    Given it's abysmal reliability.... No. There's also the question of whether VW is going to remain in the US market. I keep hearing they want to open a factory here, but nothing more than that.

Have you looked at the new GM seven passenger crossovers - Enclave, Acadia, etc? These are really nice - and have plenty of room as well as AWD. Might be a bit too big, though.
    I had a look at the GMC website, and the Acadia looks interesting, but they tied seating surface to the style of seat on the 2nd row -- so if you want to carry more cargo, you're limited to cloth. If you want leather (and the other features that come with the SLT trim line), you can only get the captain's seats, which has a huge hole between them for things to fall through when folded. It is impressive that they can get a full 4x8 sheet of plywood in there, though.

Also - the Envoy looks like it's due for a redesign -- the interior looks like something from the late 80's, especially the steering wheel.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    If you don't have an image problem like some of the viewers here do, a mini-van has all the space for your goodies and delivers decent gas mileage!
    One vehicle that is borderline on consideration is the Ford Taurus X.

Chip H.

Staff

The Taurus X is an interesting car in my opinion, although it is pricey!

How much of your future driving time do you intend to spend with all your worldly possessions on board?

Seems to me like a rental would get you through the move, after which something you WANT to drive would do nicely for a daily driver.

The problem is that there's just me -- no spouse to drive the other car.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    The problem is that there's just me -- no spouse to drive the other car.

Chip H.
    That's what tow bars are all about!

Tow bar, trailer, tow dolly...

These are small obstacles compared to being saddled with a car that's more than you need the other 364 days.

The other part of the goal is to pare down my possessions to only the essentials.
    Everything else is either going into storage, or is being gotten rid of.

For example -- the two (heavy!) boxes of LP records that I haven't played in 6 years -- I gave to a DJ friend of mine.
    Soon I will put the bedroom furniture into storage, and sleep on the futon in the spare room (can't deal with sleeping on an Aero bed or sleeping bag for more than a few days)

Chip H.