Thread: Getting a key made for a Mercedes Benz.

Getting a key made for a Mercedes Benz.

I like to have three sets of keys for each of my vehicles. When I bought my 380SL, I got one of each key. One ignition, one regular door that opens all locks and a valet door that doesn't open the glove box. The ignition was a little difficult as it's an odd key blank but the lock smith I usually use did it for me. The other keys though, that was fun. Getting a ket made for a Benz is a lesson in security. Mercedes really doesn't want your car to get stolen. The delaer is the only place to get a key made. They copied my drivers license, and registration. I paid up front ($15) and it will be done in a day or two. Granted, I appreciate the security but still.......

I've been working on it quite a bit fixing little things that clueless peole who really shouldn't work on cars did to it. Both seats were stuck and the dealership said it's pretty difficult to remove the seats. Feh! I had the one seat out in less than 5 minutes and it looks like maybe 10 to put it back. They need to work on some early 60's Mopars. Now THOSE are fun to work on.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

MikeHalloran

Re: Getting a key made for a Mercedes Benz.

Things have improved, I guess.

The spare keys for my 1970 Mercedes had to come from Germany... apparently by containership.

Took 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran

The spare keys for my 1970 Mercedes had to come from Germany... apparently by containership.

Took 3 weeks.

I got a call while at work. My key came in via FedEx Air. About 24 hours to get it. Now if I can just find the time to finish the seats up and drive that puppy. I'm not one to park a car and just look at it. after replacing the distributor cap (only held down on one side) and replacing the spark plugs (one of which I unscrewed with my finger, and I'm not SuperMan either) that puppy really purrs now.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran

Took 3 weeks.

I got a call while at work. My key came in via FedEx Air. About 24 hours to get it. Now if I can just find the time to finish the seats up and drive that puppy. I'm not one to park a car and just look at it. after replacing the distributor cap (only held down on one side) and replacing the spark plugs (one of which I unscrewed with my finger, and I'm not SuperMan either) that puppy really purrs now.
    I admire this philosophy - and need to practice it more myself! These last 3-4 years I have not spent anywhere the time I used to fooling with and driving my cars/bikes. Instead, I have been doing home improvement projects - a sure sign of impending geezerdom!

Speaking of keys, this is for my daughter's1999 Lexus. Apparently, something happened to it so she took it to the Lexus dealer to fix it (car came with only one key---cannot make a duplicate of it---) She got it fixed to the tune of $400, more or less. What gives? Does all new generation of vehicles come with a key/keys that you can open doors and to start the engine? Beats the life out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan
    Speaking of keys, this is for my daughter's1999 Lexus. Apparently, something happened to it so she took it to the Lexus dealer to fix it (car came with only one key---cannot make a duplicate of it---) She got it fixed to the tune of $400, more or less. What gives? Does all new generation of vehicles come with a key/keys that you can open doors and to start the engine? Beats the life out of me.
    Many new cars now come with "keys" that are actually multi-function transmitters (for remote door opening, engine starting, etc.). The vehicle usually comes new with at least two (or even three) sets, but if you lose them and need to have a new one made, it can - as you have discovered - get expensive!

As you might guess, I much prefer a standard metal key, no transmitter. To me, remote unlocking/starting, etc, is just another technological excess that adds complexity, cost and hassle - making something that was once cheap and simple into something that is the opposite of that. And for what, really? How much pain and suffering is involved in manually inserting a key into a door lock and opening the car? What is the big deal - aside from the gee-whiz factor - of remote/keyless engine start?

This stuff does nothing for me....

MikeHalloran

The radio locks add some value in areas subject to freezing rain or other lock-icing conditions, e.g. Boston.

You don't have to keep a propane torch in your desk.

Key prices are a disgrace - the dealer cost for an 07 RAV4 Limited key is around $150.00. This is a result of the 'electronic engine interlock' or whatever it is called.

Those who scream about unwanted complexity do so with a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Key prices are a disgrace - the dealer cost for an 07 RAV4 Limited key is around $150.00. This is a result of the 'electronic engine interlock' or whatever it is called.

Those who scream about unwanted complexity do so with a reason.
    Amen!

I remember when this began, as a mass market item, with GM's "chipped" keys in the 1980s.

As with so many of the things I rant against, I'd be ok with this stuff if it were optional - and those of us who are willing to exchange some "convenience" (or saaaafety or whatever) for simplicity and low cost could do so...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

As with so many of the things I rant against, I'd be ok with this stuff if it were optional - and those of us who are willing to exchange some "convenience" (or saaaafety or whatever) for simplicity and low cost could do so...
    I sometimes think that the 'safety and security' business is some sort of a conspiracy promoted by the manufacturers. After all, every 'extra' is a profit center and the mandated 'extras' permit nothing less than extortion.

I read somewhere that the manufacturers suggested the cost of pressure sensing tire valves would be around an extra 7 bucks a wheel. When I had a one replaced under warranty the total cost was about 200 bucks, half of it to parts.

The TPS might as well not exist, those who check tire pressure don't need it, and many of those who do not will ignore the light on the panel.

"I sometimes think that the 'safety and security' business is some sort of a conspiracy promoted by the manufacturers. After all, every 'extra' is a profit center and the mandated 'extras' permit nothing less than extortion."

That's my theory, too. (GM pushed hard to get DRLs made mandatory, for example.)

"I read somewhere that the manufacturers suggested the cost of pressure sensing tire valves would be around an extra 7 bucks a wheel. When I had a one replaced under warranty the total cost was about 200 bucks, half of it to parts. "

Another example...

"The TPS might as well not exist, those who check tire pressure don't need it, and many of those who do not will ignore the light on the panel."

I concur!