Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Pete, ReasonOne and Eric:

For Pete, ReasonOne and Eric:

Re: For Pete, ReasonOne and Eric:

That comes under the category of yesterday's news!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    The idea of a Toyota-branded Oldsmobile is.. demented!

Do people (and automakers) truly learn nothing from the past?

Toyota arguably has too many models already - and with Lexus, it has its premium brand (and Scion for the "youth" market) - there is no sane reason to develop another lineof cars under yet another nameplate.

I would guess (and hope) they bought the rights to the Olds name just to annoy GM....

I can't help wondering if that's an April's Fools posting by C&D.

But the dateline is March...

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    That comes under the category of yesterday's news!
    Yeah, and I posted it yesterday...

I'd say if Toyota is serious about taking the Oldsmobile name and applying it to a few of their vehicles, I'd say let them do it. GM killed the Oldsmobile name the last 10 years of its existence and the name is now doggie doo. Toyota would be shooting itself in the foot. The backlash alone would cause them to lose sales especially since they did not purchase the rights to the Oldsmobile name, they are stealing the name by trickery. If this is not a joke, and Toyota is serious well this is a sign Toyota is sliding its way into serious problems, this is the kind of blunder that CocaCola made with the "New Coke" fiasco in the early 1980s.

I'd say if Toyota is serious about taking the Oldsmobile name and applying it to a few of their vehicles, I'd say let them do it. GM killed the Oldsmobile name the last 10 years of its existence and the name is now doggie doo. Toyota would be shooting itself in the foot. The backlash alone would cause them to lose sales especially since they did not purchase the rights to the Oldsmobile name, they are stealing the name by trickery. If this is not a joke, and Toyota is serious well this is a sign Toyota is sliding its way into serious problems, this is the kind of blunder that CocaCola made with the "New Coke" fiasco in the early 1980s.
    Well I guess Jared Gall's admission that it was an April Fool's hoax takes care of that one. Mind you the mock up pictures of the 2011 Olds Super 88 and Intrigue looked reasonably convinving. But, 'Super 88' vs Super 99 which over here is a double 'Flaky' and 'Intrigue' tended to make me wonder. But then, of course, it could be the admission that it was a hoax that was the April Fool's hoax.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Ken,

Thanks, I figured it had to be a joke nobody could be that stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Ken,

Thanks, I figured it had to be a joke nobody could be that stupid.

Ohhhhh.......I dunno. Chevy had the Nova which in Latin means new as in new star. In Puerto Rico, one of the intended markets, it meant "No Go" or it doesn't run. Then there was a motorcycle named "Virago" which also means grouchy woman, and I believe the soft drink name "Fresca" was slang for a lesbian in chicano neighborhoods. Lots of people go to college and get paid big bucks to come up with these names. We get people like that at work. They come up with new procedures and can't understand why efficiency goes down.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Staff

Car and Driver has been known to play a good hoax once in a while. I remember nearly 20 years ago when they stated that VP Dan Quayle was heading up some kind of commission to give car enthusiasts a voice. That pompous old William Jeanes told us at an NMA gathering that their phones were ringing off the hook to get information about the supposed commission.

He's such a joker. Or a joke. Or whatever.

I almost believed the damned story except something told me not to take action because it was probably a hoax.

I was young, dumb and naive, but not stupid enough to entirely believe it! Thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

Ohhhhh.......I dunno. Chevy had the Nova which in Latin means new as in new star. In Puerto Rico, one of the intended markets, it meant "No Go" or it doesn't run.
    According to my Spanish-speaking friends, this is a myth. First of all, the Nova, like all Chevys, sold well among Latinos. Secondly, "no va" and "nova" are not seen as the same thing. Spanish speakers would be well aware of the Latin meaning of "nova" anyway".

Ohhhhh.......I dunno. Chevy had the Nova which in Latin means new as in new star. In Puerto Rico, one of the intended markets, it meant "No Go" or it doesn't run.
    According to my Spanish-speaking friends, this is a myth. First of all, the Nova, like all Chevys, sold well among Latinos. Secondly, "no va" and "nova" are not seen as the same thing. Spanish speakers would be well aware of the Latin meaning of "nova" anyway".
    What about "Camaro"?

I have heard it can be translated as "little shrimp"..... but it sounds like a corruption of "compadre."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

What about "Camaro"?

I have heard it can be translated as "little shrimp"..... but it sounds like a corruption of "compadre."
    I think it means "small penis"

What about "Camaro"?

I think it means "small penis"
    No, no... that's "Corvette"!

I've heard stranger things through the grapevines..... and most of them were more believeable....

Dr. Olds would be spinning in his grave.

Quote Originally Posted by ReasonOne
    I've heard stranger things through the grapevines..... and most of them were more believeable....

Dr. Olds would be spinning in his grave.
    Apparently, it was an April Fool's joke.

But, to me, what's not funny at all is the way GM managed to ruin Oldsmobile. "Changing times" were a factor, of course - but there's no excuse for the way the division was transformed into a purveyor of old men's cars - and rental cars. GM management is responsible for that.

How is that any different from Buick during the same time period?

In their final years, Oldsmobile was the division to go to for the best-tuned version of each of GM's sedan platforms. Guess it was too late though.

"How is that any different from Buick during the same time period?"

Well, Olds was more of a "luxury/performance" car - while Buick (excepting the GN andf GNX, which were oddballs and throwbacks to the early '70s) had become - and been - an older person's car since at least the mid-70s. But Olds still had cars like the Cutlass, which was youthful and cool through the early '80s (it was in fact a huge seller for GM; several hundred thousand annually at peak circa 1979).

"In their final years, Oldsmobile was the division to go to for the best-tuned version of each of GM's sedan platforms. Guess it was too late though."

I dunno about that. The Pontiac versions were usually sportier. The one exception was the Aurora V-8. That was a decent effort - but GM killed that one, too....

I dunno about that. The Pontiac versions were usually sportier. The one exception was the Aurora V-8. That was a decent effort - but GM killed that one, too....
    Pontiac didn't have anything to compare to the Alero or Intrigue. Those two cars were almost decent, for GM. Certainly the Grand Am and Grand Prix couldn't compare.

"Pontiac didn't have anything to compare to the Alero or Intrigue. Those two cars were almost decent, for GM. Certainly the Grand Am and Grand Prix couldn't compare."

I'd have to recheck, but I am pretty sure the Alero and Intrigue were "corporate" shared platform vehicles with near identical (drivetrain/chassis, etc.) cousins sold through Pontiac and Buick and Chevy.

And neither was successful. The Grand Am - like it or hate it - was a big success for many years. The Grand Prix also sold well, too.