Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Pete, ReasonOne and Eric:

Re: For Pete, ReasonOne and Eric:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    "Pontiac didn't have anything to compare to the Alero or Intrigue. Those two cars were almost decent, for GM. Certainly the Grand Am and Grand Prix couldn't compare."

I'd have to recheck, but I am pretty sure the Alero and Intrigue were "corporate" shared platform vehicles with near identical (drivetrain/chassis, etc.) cousins sold through Pontiac and Buick and Chevy.

And neither was successful. The Grand Am - like it or hate it - was a big success for many years. The Grand Prix also sold well, too.
    Of course the Alero and Intrigue were on shared platforms, all of GM products are. Even the Corvette now.

What I said upthread was that Oldsmobile was the division to go to for the best-tuned version of each of GM's sedan platforms. Somehow by fiddling with spring rates, roll stiffness and dampers, Olds managed to massage something reasonable out of those two cars, they were sort of Accord-like in their refinement.

Grand Am and Grand Prix sold well because they were the stereotypical GM Fleet Car, the lots at Hertz, Budget, and Avis were full of them, as well as the US Inter-Agency Motor Pool. And the Grand Am was the natural step-up for a secretary when it was time for her to trade in the Sunfire that daddy bought her when she finished business school.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: For Pete, ReasonOne and Eric:

"Grand Am and Grand Prix sold well because they were the stereotypical GM Fleet Car, the lots at Hertz, Budget, and Avis were full of them, as well as the US Inter-Agency Motor Pool. And the Grand Am was the natural step-up for a secretary when it was time for her to trade in the Sunfire that daddy bought her when she finished business school."

There's no denying they sold a lot to rental fleets - but they also sold in large numbers to the general public, too. And whether you personally liked the cars or not, the reality is they were successful - while the Intrigue and Alero weren't. I'm not rendering an opinion here. I'm just stating facts....