Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Yamaha Royal Star Venture S

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

2008 Yamaha Royal Star Venture S

All bikes are road bikes but not every bike is built for the road - or more precisely, for the long haul. It's the one downside to motorcycling.

If, that is, your riding consist of more than day trips.

But you don't need an iron but - or an iron will - to ride the $17,599 Royal Star Venture S for more than four hours at a stretch. And unlike the typical "full dresser," the Venture S isn't slow like an overloaded Winnebago.

Power comes from a modified version of the same basic DOHC V-four used in Yamaha's V-four muscle bike, the V-Max. The 1300 cc DOHC engine is tuned to deliver 97 horsepower - and almost 90 foot-pounds of torque at 4,750 RPM - so there's no problem getting the 807 lb. Venture S up to speed. Once there, you'll appreciate the wind protection offered by the wide, fork-mounted front fairing and integrated windscreen - as well as the super posh seats (with back and arm rests for the passenger), available AM/FM/CD stereo with CB radio and driver-passenger two-way intercom system.

Additional wind/weather protection is provided by the lower fairings that deflect air around the rider's legs. Illumination is provided by an enormous single beam 60/55 watt halogen headlight. Cruise control, ABS brakes and an air-adjustable suspension are also available.

Storage and cargo-wise, the bike comes with a 15 gallon trunk and two color-matched 9.3 gallon rigid sidebags - for almost 34 gallons of total capacity.

The S model adds extra chrome dress up items that aren't included with the standard Venture. Two color schemes are available - Black Cherry Raven and Charcoal Silver.

Other large, luxury-touring cruisers offer similar equipment - but typically cost considerably more. For example, Harley's top long-haul touring bike, the '08 FLHTCU Ultra Classic Electra Glide, starts at an imposing $20,695 - and can easily run to $25k and up with accessories. Honda's GL1800 Goldwing, meanwhile, begins at $19,599 and cruises from there up to $24,649. While the Wing is a nice bike, no question, it's also almost 100 pounds heavier - nearly 900 pounds at the curb. That can make it a handful for some riders - and makes reverse a necessity. Also, its modernistic "aero" styling/looks are very different from the traditional cruiser lines of the Yamaha - or the Harley - and not for everyone.

The Venture's big - but manageable. So is its price. And its power/performance will impress you - and could surprise a few sport bike riders along the way, too!

Re: 2008 Yamaha Royal Star Venture S

Does it have a reverse gear?
    ;D

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Does it have a reverse gear?
    ;D

Chip H.
    Nope; it's heavy - but not that heavy.... unless you have short legs, anyhow!

DonTom

"Nope; it's heavy - but not that heavy..."

You're parked just slightly downhill with a car or wall in front of you. You wanna try to back up that 800 lbs? All heavy bikes need a reverse. There were countless times I wished my 1984 Venture had such, even when I was much younger.

BTW, how many gallons is the gas tank in that Venture Star?

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "Nope; it's heavy - but not that heavy..."

You're parked just slightly downhill with a car or wall in front of you. You wanna try to back up that 800 lbs? All heavy bikes need a reverse. There were countless times I wished my 1984 Venture had such, even when I was much younger.

-Don-
    I never park downhill; the side stand on my bike is iffy enough already!

DonTom

"I never park downhill; the side stand on my bike is iffy enough already!"

You may not even notice it's downhill until you need to back out the bike.

I have no doubt that everybody who has had an 800 lb bike has had this problem where they found it very difficult to backup two feet or so. I take it you've never owned such.

I never had the problem with my BMW, which is about half the weight of my Venture.

-Don-

"I never park downhill; the side stand on my bike is iffy enough already!"

You may not even notice it's downhill until you need to back out the bike.

I have no doubt that everybody who has had an 800 lb bike has had this problem where they found it very difficult to backup two feet or so. I take it you've never owned such.

I never had the problem with my BMW, which is about half the weight of my Venture.

-Don-

I'm probably not a representative example. For one, I'm pretty tall ( 6ft 3) and have very long legs - which gives me leverage that the average sized rider doesn't have. Also, I lift weights and am pretty strong - so weight that might be "heavy" for the average person doesn't faze me as much.

But i hear what you're saying - and of course, you live in hilly SF!

Hi Don, the tank capacity is 6 gallons US/4.99 gallons Imp/22.7 litres.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

DonTom

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

I'm probably not a representative example. For one, I'm pretty tall ( 6ft 3) and have very long legs - which gives me leverage that the average sized rider doesn't have. Also, I lift weights and am pretty strong - so weight that might be "heavy" for the average person doesn't faze me as much.

But i hear what you're saying - and of course, you live in hilly SF!
    My Venture has been left at our Reno home for several years. And the times I had trouble "reversing" was hundreds of miles from SF. I try NOT to ride bikes in cities such as SF when there's a choice to use a car. And my legs have always been fairly strong too, because I do a lot of hiking. IMAO, all large touring bikes should have a reverse, even if it will only go a half MPH.

They should also have a very large gas tank! My Venture has neither but heck, it only cost me $4,000.00 when new in 1984. The Yamaha dealer here in SF was moving and they want to sell the bikes at a loss instead of moving them all. I went in to buy a face shield for my helmet and they still had one Venture left! How could I refuse that deal?

-Don-

DonTom

Quote Originally Posted by Ken

Hi Don, the tank capacity is 6 gallons US/4.99 gallons Imp/22.7 litres.
    Ken.
    Thanks.

That's still a little on the small side, but better than my 1984 Venture which is 5.3 gallons.

-Don-

Just posted this article on the main page with pictures:

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/home/...5&Itemid=10850

DonTom

If I were to buy a new touring bike, I would pay the few extra thousand to buy the GoldWing.

-Don-

If I were to buy a new touring bike, I would pay the few extra thousand to buy the GoldWing.

-Don-
    Just curious - is it because of the reverse? Or do you like other things better about the Wing?

DonTom

Just curious - is it because of the reverse? Or do you like other things better about the Wing?
    The reverse is the main reason. But I have heard the GW has better brakes, requires less maintenance, more parts available, more luggage space, I think even more miles per tank of gas when compared to Venture. However, my info might be way out of date.

-Don-

The reverse is the main reason. But I have heard the GW has better brakes, requires less maintenance, more parts available, more luggage space, I think even more miles per tank of gas when compared to Venture. However, my info might be way out of date.

-Don-

And, as ably demonstrated by my Honda main dealer himself, the Wing wheelies like a good 'un in the right hands. The owner's face was a study believe you me.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

-Don-

And, as ably demonstrated by my Honda main dealer himself, the Wing wheelies like a good 'un in the right hands. The owner's face was a study believe you me.

Ken.
    I have heard about this ability as well - and have to admit, it's impressive!

The thing reportedly handles, too... in the right hands, of course.

-Don-

Ken.
    I have heard about this ability as well - and have to admit, it's impressive!

The thing reportedly handles, too... in the right hands, of course.
    There was certainly no lack of handling in the one that used to come out on our club ride-outs. He rode with the 'Progressors' group which meant cruising 70 - 80 on our country roads. He just seemed to float along and cornered at about half the lean angle of the sports-bikes but at the same speed. ???

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

-Don-
    Many who have ridden both say that the Yamaha is the better bike. But I figure either is perfectly capable, and it's just a matter of which one suits you better.

DonTom

"Many who have ridden both say that the Yamaha is the better bike. "

"Better" in what ways? I know in the past, the Yamaha had a faster engine than the Honda, but that was about all that could be said for the Yamaha. And to me, that falls under "who cares?". Not me.

-Don-

"Many who have ridden both say that the Yamaha is the better bike. "

"Better" in what ways? I know in the past, the Yamaha had a faster engine than the Honda, but that was about all that could be said for the Yamaha. And to me, that falls under "who cares?". Not me.

-Don-
    "Better" in the sense of feeling really well-engineered (a characteristic of metric/Japo stuff). Also, the V-engine has big low-speed torque and is more technically advanced than the Harley twin - which though massaged and tweaked is still an ancient layout (because that is what people seem to want in a Harley).